Jack's plight for justice in Samui after an attack leaves him with mounting medical bills

webfact

Jack's plight for justice in Samui after an attack leaves him with mounting medical bills

Jack-3.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Jack is n Australian man who has lived in Thailand for the last 15 years. After his graduation in Bangkok he came to Koh Samui with some friends to celebrate. During his trip he was attacked by two Chinese/USA men while dancing in the Green Mango night club on ht 9th of June. The attackers fled the scene but were later arrested. Jack was giving emergency surgery at a local hospital for extensive injuries to his mouth.

Six weeks after being arrested the men were taken to court where their passports were withheld after evidence emerged that the men were taking vacations that were not part of the ‘essential travel only’ section of their bail conditions. At this point the men filed charges themselves against Jack claiming, despite their lack of injuries, that he had beaten them.

Apart from the trauma of facing being in jail himself at one point, when he could not raise bail for charges such as ‘an attack that did not cause physical or mental injury’ and a misdemeanor charge filed by the attackers, Jack now faces 18 months of further costly reconstructive surgeries as well as mounting legal costs.

A fun has now been set up for Jack to help with those costs while he attempts to not only recover but fight for justice in Koh Samui.

To visit the fund page please click here

Fore more information visit the Facbook with a click here

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-12-02

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the mandatory requirement of travel insurance for people requesting Schengen visa's perhaps it should be the same for those traveling to Thailand? I'm not sure if travel insurance would cover injury resulting from brawling but assuming this young man was attacked unprovoked he should be covered. Many young travelers here travel on a tight budget thus travel insurance should be high on their priority list considering the relatively reasonable rates versus the risks.

Like another other poster said, the Australian embassy should step in to help.

Terrible situation , he does however look like he's under 30 years to me ..Therefore has he been here since 15 years ?

If so , he must have family support , and there must have been some reason he was here so young ??

Either way , patch him up , get him back to Aussie for a while , let all cool down and he can come back . Its a little difficult when

the victim is also being pursued , its pretty obvious who came out worse on the physical side .

With the support fund , and some family help , Im sure he will be okey , but its not a nice situation .

There is now hefty penalties in Australia , with one punch legislation , need to get something similar in Thailand , although

on current form that highly unlikely .

The cross charges are SOP in any situation like this, has nothing to do with what happened but with creating leverage. The idea being that both sides then settle the matter by dropping charges against each side. However, in this case it is extremely cynical as clearly the initial charges against the attackers were surely brought by the investigators not the poor boy and were brought after they were caught. It is possible that a minor charge can be brought w/out prosecutor's approval in some way so it may stand as something that has to be disposed of. The parents of the kids should be shot as not only did they raise kids that would do this, but are now teaching them to lie to save themselves from the consequences. The larger question, however, is corruption. The Thai government seems to be idiotic in understanding the effect of cases like this and Kho Tao. They have covered the gap in Tourists with increasing Mainland chinese tourist, etc., but ONE Chinese incident and they will experience a drop to 0% of arrivals overnight. I would say you can see the train wreck coming but in many ways its already here.

• Like 2

For the posters, this is a well known story, kid was dancing and two pumped-up expat kids from Shanghai didn't like who he was dancing with and beat him savagely. I know they were down celebrating graduation from high school, nice "present" for a couple of 18-19 year olds. He was down from Bangkok I think also celebrating graduation from High School. Wrong place wrong time for sure but expats in Samui are watching this just as Kho Tao.

• Like 2

Terrible situation , he does however look like he's under 30 years to me ..Therefore has he been here since 15 years ?

If so , he must have family support , and there must have been some reason he was here so young ??

Either way , patch him up , get him back to Aussie for a while , let all cool down and he can come back . Its a little difficult when

the victim is also being pursued , its pretty obvious who came out worse on the physical side .

With the support fund , and some family help , Im sure he will be okey , but its not a nice situation .

There is now hefty penalties in Australia , with one punch legislation , need to get something similar in Thailand , although

on current form that highly unlikely .

The facebook page says he is 20.

• Like 1

He looks young. Where are his parents? Been in Thailand for 15 years, he must have grown up here then. Something is missing here.

That is what I immediately thought. Growing up in Thailand then going to a Bangkok University and graduating (remember lectures are in Thai at Uni, and technical Thai is a whole different ball game to talat Thai). I'm not saying its not true, but that is not the norm. Usually falang kids who grow up in Thailand go home to continue with tertiary studies, because they just don't have the level of Thai needed. And yes where are the parents ? Additionally, if he is an Australian national, after such a long term in hospital why hasn't he again gone home. Something is not quite right with this reporting, or his story.

He lives in Thailand (so does his mother - I think) - travel insurance does not apply.

Also, he has to get to Australia to receive treatment (which would be free if he still has an Aussie passport). but getting there whilst flat on his back is REALLY expensive. Assuming that the police are not holding his passport pending his case.

His medical bills here will be racking up. Samui has the most expensive (rip off) private hospitals in the Kingdom (5 now.). The goverment hospital here is very good - but they could only treat his trauma and you definitely do not want to stay there for more than 2 - 3 days. General wards are basic, busy, and very noisy. Imagine living in a large room with 20 to 30 Thais. Private rooms have to be booked in advance. I have visited a number of friends/guests there over the years. There is always a waiting list for a private room, and if he were to get in one, a relative or friend would have to stay with him 24 hours a day. (Not enough nurses.)

Look here for further details

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/765820-australian-jack-hansen-bartel-a-victim-of-thailands-brutal-underbelly/

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

A national fund should be setup to pay hospital and legal costs for tourists who are mistreated in Thailand thru no fault of their on...

An automatic deduction will be taken from government officials...police and military paychecks as these are the people who are supposed to be providing protection for tourists...

It is expected that it will not be long before very few tourist are mistreated once the deductions start appearing on the Thai paychecks...

• Like 1

I don't understand why the Australian embassy not helping and arranging for his repatriation back to OZ

and help in settling the medical bills with the guarantee of the family that those cost will be paid,

They aren't critical injuries. Lost teeth, severely torn lip, fracture maybe. They were already living in Thailand and given the cheaper medical care might be a better place to see it through. Australia has public health care though teeth are considered cosmetic, and can be a chore getting treatment as a public patient.

He looks young. Where are his parents? Been in Thailand for 15 years, he must have grown up here then. Something is missing here.

His mother is a single parent Australian mom struggling to make ends meet and raise her kids in Bangkok. Don't what happened to the father.

Reading all the info in this case he was flirting with a girl who is friends of the guys who beat him. I run a Security company in London and my guys are always telling me the same thing every week. Guys fighting over a " Bird".

Its sad whats happened to the young Ozzie but see this crap week in week out.

Edited by DaveE13

I believe his medical insurance expired 9 days before the attack. It is a well known and bizarre story that he was attacked by 2 graduating students from china and that they claimed he was molesting their friend. The injuries were horrific and nobody from the green mango or soi came to his aid, infact they were met by a Thai man brandishing a taser and in a separate occasion a British man with a broken bottle.

• Like 1

For the posters, this is a well known story, kid was dancing and two pumped-up expat kids from Shanghai didn't like who he was dancing with and beat him savagely. I know they were down celebrating graduation from high school, nice "present" for a couple of 18-19 year olds. He was down from Bangkok I think also celebrating graduation from High School. Wrong place wrong time for sure but expats in Samui are watching this just as Kho Tao.

So really its yet another " Schoolies " style situation ..which often end in a situation like this , youth dont worry about the nature of a

" Fair Fight " ..

So if he's 20 years ..He has basically been in Thai all his life ? therefore surely must have family .

At last someone who knows the correct story.

The amount of speculation that goes on here at TV amazes me.

If any of you has seen the arrogant attitude of the 2 people who did this I think you would want them put away for a long time. Typical spoilt brats from wealthy backgrounds.

Haven't seen them , but have no doubt you are correct . They certainly dont appear concerned about damage done .

The accused were Chinese-Americans.... Aren't the able to chase them in USA.. And what about travel insurance, has that not covered much..

pretty hard to get travel insurance when you have lived here for the past 15 years.....