New rules for ED visa

The rules were changed in December 2014: 1 3-month Ed plus 1 3-month extension for non-formal schools. Some schools are still advertising out of date information and misleading their students. They have short-term gains but will suffer long-term damage as people will feel they've been mislead.

They just changed it in Bkk. A few days ago.

Considering this, your website is still giving incorrect info. Don't you think you should change this? http://www.thaiwalen.com/en/Thai_Student_Visas

Students who enroll at our school in a one year course are eligible to apply for a one year non-immigrant ED visa. With this visa you do not have to leave Thailand every now and then but can stay here continually for one year.

Hi guys!

Here's what I have just been informed by my school:

RE; 90-Day Extensions
We just got confirmation from immigration that for every 90-day extension, it will be as follows:

Package A
Immigration will be requiring a fee of 5000 THB for the no-hassle package. This means you pay 5000 THB and immigration will give the 90-day extension no questions asked. We will deliver the paperwork and passport to Immigration for the extension, but at the time the passport is ready for pickup, the customer will still be required to show up in person and collect their passport, along with having to consent to a photo being taken. That's it for that.

Package B
Not paying this will then place the customer (you) into A] only getting a 15 day extension, and B] having to attend school 4 days per week during those 15 days, because C] an immigration officer will be slated to show up unannounced during that 15 days to make sure the customer (you) is attending. If you are not present, then your 15 day will not be extended to any length of time. This means you will lose your ED visa.

Be advised that this is the way it is for all school in Chon Buri... BUT... the rules are absolutely chaotic right now in that they could change before I get done typing this, or change in another month. We simply do not know.

I have the same issue...

I registered at W language school (Asoke branch) in August 2014.

Got my 1st extension just when rules started to change in October. From there, the school asked to come within one month with extra fee for the additional hours etc. I brought my passport to front desk in November as requested to go through the formalities, and was told by the staff that this had since been waived and that the letter would be ready next month.

So I returned early January right after new year to enquire again for the letter, as my extension was within 30 days. I was told by front desk staff with a big smile not to worry, that the letter was ready for extension and that I could collect it one week before the extension date.

I went this morning and was told... completely different story: that I must go for test, pay for the extra hours requested by the new regulation (which is understandable), apply for a new extension letter (which takes around 4 weeks)

I come twice a week at the school for study and enquired November, December and early January about the extension and was obviously given the wrong information. The staff did all they could to fix it (as well as cover for the staff who kept giving the wrong information).

The concern being that my extension expires in 1 week... so the W school staff told me the only way was to be overstay until getting the extension letter... Well...!!!

if the rules been changed a few days ago how can I get the correct documents to apply for a new visa in time?.... meaning in a week

Edited by Elopole

Hi guys!

Here's what I have just been informed by my school:

RE; 90-Day Extensions
We just got confirmation from immigration that for every 90-day extension, it will be as follows:

Package A

Immigration will be requiring a fee of 5000 THB for the no-hassle package. This means you pay 5000 THB and immigration will give the 90-day extension no questions asked. We will deliver the paperwork and passport to Immigration for the extension, but at the time the passport is ready for pickup, the customer will still be required to show up in person and collect their passport, along with having to consent to a photo being taken. That's it for that.

Package B

Not paying this will then place the customer (you) into A] only getting a 15 day extension, and B] having to attend school 4 days per week during those 15 days, because C] an immigration officer will be slated to show up unannounced during that 15 days to make sure the customer (you) is attending. If you are not present, then your 15 day will not be extended to any length of time. This means you will lose your ED visa.

Be advised that this is the way it is for all school in Chon Buri... BUT... the rules are absolutely chaotic right now in that they could change before I get done typing this, or change in another month. We simply do not know.

Which school?

I have the same issue...

I registered at W language school (Asoke branch) in August 2014.

Got my 1st extension just when rules started to change in October. From there, the school asked to come within one month with extra fee for the additional hours etc. I brought my passport to front desk in November as requested to go through the formalities, and was told by the staff that this had since been waived and that the letter would be ready next month.

So I returned early January right after new year to enquire again for the letter, as my extension was within 30 days. I was told by front desk staff with a big smile not to worry, that the letter was ready for extension and that I could collect it one week before the extension date.

I went this morning and was told... completely different story: that I must go for test, pay for the extra hours requested by the new regulation (which is understandable), apply for a new extension letter (which takes around 4 weeks)

I come twice a week at the school for study and enquired November, December and early January about the extension and was obviously given the wrong information. The staff did all they could to fix it (as well as cover for the staff who kept giving the wrong information).

The concern being that my extension expires in 1 week... so the W school staff told me the only way was to be overstay until getting the extension letter... Well...!!!

if the rules been changed a few days ago how can I get the correct documents to apply for a new visa in time?.... meaning in a week

If the letter was ready for the extension when you went early Jan, why didn't the staff give you the letter there & then?

Edited by bbi1

I arrived three weeks ago on my first ED visa. Yes, I attend classes. No, I don't work. No, not even as a digital nomad.

I honestly don't care about an increase in price or the politics behind it. I'd just like some consistency. Yes, I know TiT and I knew I was coming into an ever changing series of proclamations. A girl can still dream, right?

Every week (sometimes every day) I log in here and see some new extension story.
I know that nothing official has come out and that everything we've heard here so far are second-hand stories, but there is obviously a lot of uncertainty. I'll inquire at my school tomorrow as to what the current deal is, but that certainly doesn't mean it will be the same by the time I go for my extension in April. Sigh...

I arrived three weeks ago on my first ED visa. Yes, I attend classes. No, I don't work. No, not even as a digital nomad.

I honestly don't care about an increase in price or the politics behind it. I'd just like some consistency. Yes, I know TiT and I knew I was coming into an ever changing series of proclamations. A girl can still dream, right?

Every week (sometimes every day) I log in here and see some new extension story. I know that nothing official has come out and that everything we've heard here so far are second-hand stories, but there is obviously a lot of uncertainty. I'll inquire at my school tomorrow as to what the current deal is, but that certainly doesn't mean it will be the same by the time I go for my extension in April. Sigh...

I remember that you had asked and meticulously prepared your move well in advance. Unfortunately as you noted yourself, the way this is handled in country is far from fair or sensed. Right now who insist getting route of extensions is being shamelessly hassled and exploited. I hope you had obtained a multiple-entry visa as suggested at the time, because that will exempt you from dealing with immigration at all.

New rules enforced in Pattaya, today panic at Wallen. They have to change the time for the lessons, the teachers are disoriented, it is totally crazy.

I applied in November, rent for 1 year and now I learn that my visa will stop 6 month early, I will have to pay more lessons, I will learn 4 days a week.

If some immigration official read this: it is a shame.

We do not come study here to be locked at the school all week. We want to visit Thailand too. Because we can learn English in UK too. But we came in Thailand to enjoy the country. With the traffic in Pattaya it takes I spend 4 hours total door to door. So now I cannot go to the beach at Sattahip and come back... I am very limited like in prison, because I cannot go 3 days in a row.

It SUCKS! Plus now I will have to spend 2x more lessons, that's about 50,000 plus go 2 times in Ventianne? NO WAY.

And please fix the water machine the the consulate in Ventianne, no water under the sun waiting 4 hours, the ticket system not working, not enough seat so we had to sit... on the floor inside the consulate!

It is disrespectful, no country in the world is doing this. And I learn that in Chiang May, they have 1 year, in Samui 3 months? Where in the world there the student Visa is not the same depending on what city you stay?

It is sloppy.

Thailand spit at the face of the foreigners... I am shocked.

And if I must go in 2 months, I loose my rent deposit! 16,000 baht, who is going to pay, me! <deleted>, I am so f.cking upset right now.

Edited by nikkoid66
  • Like 2

Chiang Mai is also 6 months now

we also got the 4 extra hours

My teachers at my school all lost their only day off each week, all of them have to work 7 days a week now

and yes I have to admit though I like studying I too not a fan of having to go 4 times, I am doing it but

with all the rule changes its just driving me nuts this year being on this Visa as an person that goes to school

Every week (sometimes every day) I log in here and see some new extension story. I know that nothing official has come out and that everything we've heard here so far are second-hand stories, but there is obviously a lot of uncertainty. I'll inquire at my school tomorrow as to what the current deal is, but that certainly doesn't mean it will be the same by the time I go for my extension in April. Sigh...

I remember that you had asked and meticulously prepared your move well in advance. Unfortunately as you noted yourself, the way this is handled in country is far from fair or sensed. Right now who insist getting route of extensions is being shamelessly hassled and exploited. I hope you had obtained a multiple-entry visa as suggested at the time, because that will exempt you from dealing with immigration at all.

I'm flattered that you remember me. :)

It wouldn't have changed anything for me, though. My whole plan was to completely avoid dragging my son on border runs, so I would have had to go to immigration no matter which one I chose. I know that's not the popular choice, but it's easiest for us.

I am confused, I just called my school and they confirmed that nothing has changed. I got my visa before October 2014 so before the doubling of hours, and I have got one year still. Not 6 months

And how can they make students having their visa before a law is passed, be subjected to that law?

Are they applying the law retroactively ?

That's illegal in any democratic country

New rules enforced in Pattaya, today panic at Wallen. They have to change the time for the lessons, the teachers are disoriented, it is totally crazy.

I applied in November, rent for 1 year and now I learn that my visa will stop 6 month early, I will have to pay more lessons, I will learn 4 days a week.

If some immigration official read this: it is a shame.

We do not come study here to be locked at the school all week. We want to visit Thailand too. Because we can learn English in UK too. But we came in Thailand to enjoy the country. With the traffic in Pattaya it takes I spend 4 hours total door to door. So now I cannot go to the beach at Sattahip and come back... I am very limited like in prison, because I cannot go 3 days in a row.

It SUCKS! Plus now I will have to spend 2x more lessons, that's about 50,000 plus go 2 times in Ventianne? NO WAY.

And please fix the water machine the the consulate in Ventianne, no water under the sun waiting 4 hours, the ticket system not working, not enough seat so we had to sit... on the floor inside the consulate!

It is disrespectful, no country in the world is doing this. And I learn that in Chiang May, they have 1 year, in Samui 3 months? Where in the world there the student Visa is not the same depending on what city you stay?

It is sloppy.

Thailand spit at the face of the foreigners... I am shocked.

And if I must go in 2 months, I loose my rent deposit! 16,000 baht, who is going to pay, me! <deleted>, I am so f.cking upset right now.

If you applied in November surely the great Walen school would've informed you that an 8 hour a week was already standard at that time & Walen wasn't trying to promote that an ED visa would be possible under the 4hr schedule??

Yet their website still says:

With this visa you do not have to leave Thailand every now and then but can stay here continually for one year.

whistling.gif

We will update it. Thank you for pointing that out.

And a suggestion about the lessons, if we double the hours per week, we will do the Book 2 EVERY ONE WEEK! (now it takes 2 weeks).

We are going to be crazy. It is already painful after 3 month to do the same book again and again! But doing it every week! Both teachers are students are going to have brain seizures!

I suggest to introduce conversation, like Monday : Book 2, / Thuesday : Pratice (conversation), / Thursday: Book 2: / Friday : practice (conversation)

That would be a relief.

The immigrations officials should move their ass from their office and really check the schools... the good school like Wallen should not be penalized because some are wrongdoing.

And at Wallen I do not see drug addicts like the original law in Thai suggest it. Only normal student, and classroms are full.

The immigration officials are lazy, they can easily find which school are fake, one of them is just sitting inside the Immigration office! Send a guy asking they sell you lessons and tells you that you don't have to go to the classroom, they even sell driving license for 45k baht delivered to your room! , just inside the immigration office at the copy machines! Close the bad ones, instead of taking a commission on them, and let the normal student having fun in Thailand without the burden of been considered like drug addict or criminals!

Edited by nikkoid66

I am confused, I just called my school and they confirmed that nothing has changed. I got my visa before October 2014 so before the doubling of hours, and I have got one year still. Not 6 months

And how can they make students having their visa before a law is passed, be subjected to that law?

You only had a visa that was valid for 3 months that gave you a 90 day entry. The only ED visa that is valid for a year is multiple entry visa that allows 90 entries.

Calling the tuition you paid a one year visa is wrong. Immigration and the MOE have no obligation to honor that.

I think I mentioned it before. If someone would like to continue to study in Thailand, I recommend signing up with a university to avoid all the visa hassles you get when you sign up with a private language school. A university allows you to get 1 year extensions and there is no need to leave Thailand after a year. You can also study various different types of courses, not just languages.

No need to complain about immigration etc.. situation has changed, adapt and move on.

I think I mentioned it before. If someone would like to continue to study in Thailand, I recommend signing up with a university to avoid all the visa hassles you get when you sign up with a private language school. A university allows you to get 1 year extensions and there is no need to leave Thailand after a year. You can also study various different types of courses, not just languages.

No need to complain about immigration etc.. situation has changed, adapt and move on.

It would be good to have some more information on the specific courses being offered and where, but for sure there is a big difference between from learning Thai to a more or less self self-paced study in a local school, to enroll, attended and sustain testing at an university, which can have admission requirements and a much higher tuition.

I think that most students of Thai language will find more convenient staying on tourist visa for as long Immigration will continue handling this as they are now.

It would be good to have some more information on the specific courses being offered and where, but for sure there is a big difference between from learning Thai to a more or less self self-paced study in a local school, to enroll, attended and sustain testing at an university, which can have admission requirements and a much higher tuition.

I think that most students of Thai language will find more convenient staying on tourist visa for as long Immigration will continue handling this as they are now.

I looked into Chiang Mai options because I stay here. Both Payap university and CMU have different courses they offer that you can sign up for including Thai language courses. I don't think tuition is much higher than at private language schools especially not if language schools increase their prices now due to the increased requirements by immigration.

I'm sure Bangkok has many universities that offer courses as well that you can sign up.

I am under the same impression. I got my Visa before the changes in October, so we are supposed to be grandfathered in. I also know someone who just extended their Visa (they are past 6 months now) and they too got their initial Visa before October 2014. So hopefully they are doing the morally correct thing by allowing those who obtained their visa before October 2014 continue to extend up to one year.

I am under the same impression. I got my Visa before the changes in October, so we are supposed to be grandfathered in. I also know someone who just extended their Visa (they are past 6 months now) and they too got their initial Visa before October 2014. So hopefully they are doing the morally correct thing by allowing those who obtained their visa before October 2014 continue to extend up to one year.

Are you only referring to people who got their ED visa granted by the embassy/consulate before the changes in October or people who got the paperwork approved by the MOE before this period & might've gotten their visa granted a fews months after at the embassy/consulate?

Are you only referring to people who got their ED visa granted by the embassy/consulate before the changes in October or people who got the paperwork approved by the MOE before this period & might've gotten their visa granted a fews months after at the embassy/consulate?

We both have our visas and MOE approval before the change.

I talked to my school (in Pattaya) and this is how I understand the new rules. Your mileage may vary based on your location and your school. This IS Thailand after all...

If you pay 5000 baht (this includes 1900 for the extension and 3100 for the VIP service) every ninety days, the school will take all of your paperwork to immigration and get everything done for you. You just show up the next morning, get your picture taken and pick up your passport. 90 day extension is automatic in this case. No language testing by immigration. No change in the amount of hours you spend in class each week.

If you choose to go on your own to do the paperwork (no VIP service) you will receive a 15 day extension for 1900 baht. During that 15 day extension, immigration officials will come to your school to check your paperwork and attendance, and will come to your home to check your address and to be sure that you are not working illegally. You have to return to immigration every 15 days and pay 1900 baht each time for the remainder of your time on the ED visa extensions. I don't know how often the school and home are checked for each subsequent extension after the first one. You will also be required to attend class 4 days per week if you choose to do it on your own and you will be subject to language testing by the immigration officials each time you extend.

What I am unclear about is whether going the VIP route allows you to extend for up to a year or whether the 6 month restriction comes into play. I'll try to find out when I go back next week.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just relaying information. And yes, I saw immigration officials at my school today talking to the staff as they were putting the rules in writing, so I'm thinking this might be the real deal. For now anyway. Beyond today? Who knows...