New rules for ED visa

If you pay 5000 baht (this includes 1900 for the extension and 3100 for the VIP service) every ninety days, the school will take all of your paperwork to immigration and get everything done for you. You just show up the next morning, get your picture taken and pick up your passport. 90 day extension is automatic in this case. No language testing by immigration. No change in the amount of hours you spend in class each week.

Just to be clear, that would be, Bt 1,900 for the extension, and 3,100 representing an exorbitant fees / extortion or corruption.

If you choose to go on your own to do the paperwork (no VIP service) you will receive a 15 day extension for 1900 baht. During that 15 day extension, immigration officials will come to your school to check your paperwork and attendance, and will come to your home to check your address and to be sure that you are not working illegally. You have to return to immigration every 15 days and pay 1900 baht each time for the remainder of your time on the ED visa extensions.

Actually someone else today reported that Jomtien is giving 15 days under consideration and the the balance to 90. Which is normal and legal. So perhaps there is a way not to be subject to extortion.

Edited by paz

I am confused, I just called my school and they confirmed that nothing has changed. I got my visa before October 2014 so before the doubling of hours, and I have got one year still. Not 6 months

And how can they make students having their visa before a law is passed, be subjected to that law?

Are they applying the law retroactively ?

That's illegal in any democratic country

You only had a visa that was valid for 3 months that gave you a 90 day entry. The only ED visa that is valid for a year is multiple entry visa that allows 90 entries.

Calling the tuition you paid a one year visa is wrong. Immigration and the MOE have no obligation to honor that.

Well I just been to immigration and got my 2nd extension for 3 months (6th,7th and 8th month) without having to reapply for visa or leave the country, how do you explain that?

I talked to my school (in Pattaya) and this is how I understand the new rules. Your mileage may vary based on your location and your school. This IS Thailand after all...

If you pay 5000 baht (this includes 1900 for the extension and 3100 for the VIP service) every ninety days, the school will take all of your paperwork to immigration and get everything done for you. You just show up the next morning, get your picture taken and pick up your passport. 90 day extension is automatic in this case. No language testing by immigration. No change in the amount of hours you spend in class each week.

If you choose to go on your own to do the paperwork (no VIP service) you will receive a 15 day extension for 1900 baht. During that 15 day extension, immigration officials will come to your school to check your paperwork and attendance, and will come to your home to check your address and to be sure that you are not working illegally. You have to return to immigration every 15 days and pay 1900 baht each time for the remainder of your time on the ED visa extensions. I don't know how often the school and home are checked for each subsequent extension after the first one. You will also be required to attend class 4 days per week if you choose to do it on your own and you will be subject to language testing by the immigration officials each time you extend.

What I am unclear about is whether going the VIP route allows you to extend for up to a year or whether the 6 month restriction comes into play. I'll try to find out when I go back next week.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just relaying information. And yes, I saw immigration officials at my school today talking to the staff as they were putting the rules in writing, so I'm thinking this might be the real deal. For now anyway. Beyond today? Who knows...

That is just shameful plain extortion !

Which school is that?

Which school is that?

Libel rules being what they are around here, I'd rather not say. But it's a large, well known school here in Pattaya. And I don't think it's just my school. There have been reports of other major schools saying the same.

I think we are going to see a lot of sneaky things coming from a lot of schools these days, not all of them but some of them

with the new rules I have heard many schools are losing business and I am sure they will be taking advantage of some people to try to make money

remember California Wow Gym in Pattaya, when they knew they were going Bankrupt they were still seling life time memberships to people to the very last day

i have a feeling we will see the same thing going on with many schools that are losing money fast, specially the visa mills of the past..

the schools that have the ad in the front that used to say 10 year visa in thailand in big bold letters and at the bottom of the ad in tiny little letters, learn thai!

Which school is that?

Libel rules being what they are around here, I'd rather not say. But it's a large, well known school here in Pattaya. And I don't think it's just my school. There have been reports of other major schools saying the same.

You are not shaming you're just reporting what you experience and if every school does it,they should not be ashamed of it.

What is going on? How are reacting the other students? Has anyone complained?

May be try to get the media involved, showing how bad corruption had become here,surely this is out of order

Which school is that?

You are not shaming you're just reporting what you experience and if every school does it,they should not be ashamed of it.

What is going on? How are reacting the other students? Has anyone complained?

May be try to get the media involved, showing how bad corruption had become here,surely this is out of order

I'm not all that outraged, honestly. Is it really any different than paying an agent to go to immigration for you? Or going out of Swampy instead of a land border to be sure that you get your 90 days on return? It's just one of those things. Their ball field, their rules. And we're not being forced. We do have a choice. Especially if getting 15 days and then the remainder thereafter for 1900 baht is an option.

Personally, I've reached the point in my life where I don't mind paying a little extra for someone else to handle stuff like this for me. That's just me, though. I can see where many would be irritated by this.

I'm not all that outraged, honestly. Is it really any different than paying an agent to go to immigration for you? Or going out of Swampy instead of a land border to be sure that you get your 90 days on return? It's just one of those things. Their ball field, their rules. And we're not being forced. We do have a choice. Especially if getting 15 days and then the remainder thereafter for 1900 baht is an option.

Personally, I've reached the point in my life where I don't mind paying a little extra for someone else to handle stuff like this for me. That's just me, though. I can see where many would be irritated by this.

You do realize this is pure greed and if they get away with that type of day-light robbery, if people agree to that, there will be more schools doing it and soon they will ask for even more money? You think you are paying for peace of mind now but are actually encouraging extortion.

You do realize this is pure greed and if they get away with that type of day-light robbery, if people agree to that, there will be more schools doing it and soon they will ask for even more money? You think you are paying for peace of mind now but are actually encouraging extortion.

I was born and raised in the states. Texas to be precise. I'm well aware of what greed is. Ever heard of Rick Perry?

I'm also aware that these are not my rules and I don't get a say in how they're changed. If it gets extreme, I'll get the TE card and be done with it. For now, I'm willing to put up with what they're doing. Everyone has a breaking point. This is not mine.

I am confused, I just called my school and they confirmed that nothing has changed. I got my visa before October 2014 so before the doubling of hours, and I have got one year still. Not 6 months

And how can they make students having their visa before a law is passed, be subjected to that law?

I talked to the immigrations officers and MOE officers, theses rules are not new, schools has been informed last year. They just didnt processed the documents in time, and according to moe it happen everyday. At the end MOE dont receive any letter saying that you r changing to the next level of studying then ur visa get cancelled

the school tell u then that new rules n that u have to leave to get a new visa

i will go to the bottom of it, but it s easy to point fingers at the immigration or moe as the school know that nobody is gonna question them..... too bad for them I m doing that

Edited by papatango

I have the same issue...

I registered at W language school (Asoke branch) in August 2014.

Got my 1st extension just when rules started to change in October. From there, the school asked to come within one month with extra fee for the additional hours etc. I brought my passport to front desk in November as requested to go through the formalities, and was told by the staff that this had since been waived and that the letter would be ready next month.

So I returned early January right after new year to enquire again for the letter, as my extension was within 30 days. I was told by front desk staff with a big smile not to worry, that the letter was ready for extension and that I could collect it one week before the extension date.

I went this morning and was told... completely different story: that I must go for test, pay for the extra hours requested by the new regulation (which is understandable), apply for a new extension letter (which takes around 4 weeks)

I come twice a week at the school for study and enquired November, December and early January about the extension and was obviously given the wrong information. The staff did all they could to fix it (as well as cover for the staff who kept giving the wrong information).

The concern being that my extension expires in 1 week... so the W school staff told me the only way was to be overstay until getting the extension letter... Well...!!!

if the rules been changed a few days ago how can I get the correct documents to apply for a new visa in time?.... meaning in a week

If the letter was ready for the extension when you went early Jan, why didn't the staff give you the letter there & then?

they said it was ready but they didnt process anything, at the end they talk like it s ur fault not theirs and their solution is you leaving the country to get a new visa.... then you can come back studying as they have no intdntion of paying you anyghing back for their own mistakes

I have the same issue...

I registered at W language school (Asoke branch) in August 2014.

Got my 1st extension just when rules started to change in October. From there, the school asked to come within one month with extra fee for the additional hours etc. I brought my passport to front desk in November as requested to go through the formalities, and was told by the staff that this had since been waived and that the letter would be ready next month.

So I returned early January right after new year to enquire again for the letter, as my extension was within 30 days. I was told by front desk staff with a big smile not to worry, that the letter was ready for extension and that I could collect it one week before the extension date.

I went this morning and was told... completely different story: that I must go for test, pay for the extra hours requested by the new regulation (which is understandable), apply for a new extension letter (which takes around 4 weeks)

I come twice a week at the school for study and enquired November, December and early January about the extension and was obviously given the wrong information. The staff did all they could to fix it (as well as cover for the staff who kept giving the wrong information).

The concern being that my extension expires in 1 week... so the W school staff told me the only way was to be overstay until getting the extension letter... Well...!!!

if the rules been changed a few days ago how can I get the correct documents to apply for a new visa in time?.... meaning in a week

If the letter was ready for the extension when you went early Jan, why didn't the staff give you the letter there & then?

they said it was ready but they didnt process anything, at the end they talk like it s ur fault not theirs and their solution is you leaving the country to get a new visa.... then you can come back studying as they have no intdntion of paying you anyghing back for their own mistakes

So you mean the letter was ready to give to the MOE to apply for the extension, not the letter MOE gives to you to go to immigration? If the MOE letter was ready, you would just pick it up & be all set to go.

I talked to the immigrations officers and MOE officers, theses rules are not new, schools has been informed last year. They just didnt processed the documents in time, and according to moe it happen everyday. At the end MOE dont receive any letter saying that you r changing to the next level of studying then ur visa get cancelled

i will go to the bottom of it, but it s easy to point fingers at the immigration or moe as the school know that nobody is gonna question them..... too bad for them I m doing that

So if the school gives MOE the application letter that your level will change from Beginner to Intermediate when applying for the 2nd year of ED visa, there would be no problems & you would have one year, not 6 months?

A friend of mine recently obtained an ED visa - he is leaning Thai

What I don't understand is that he said the course he was doing was an online course and not a school, I can't quite get my round how this could possibly work with all these rules and the active roll that schools need to play in order to maintain the course membership and satisfy immigration, anyone have any experience of this or is he heading for a disaster

Till immigration relax and take it easy there will be a lot of problems.

Do you mean 'till they stop sticking to the rules' or something else?

Well they are already not sticking to the rule since I just got my 6th,7th and 8th month extension and so did my friend and another guy on Thaivisa who reported yesterday having successfully got his second extension at Chaeng Watanna.

So no, the rule does not apply retroactively to all cases and thanks god for that.

Maybe you should arrange a big meeting with all private schools, create an united front and create a reasonable counterproposal for MOE. Otherwise, they just rule all over you guys, killing the business. If the first year students, the bread and butter of language schools, start getting bad experiences from this visa circus it will be bad for business.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 1

seems to me that a good portion of the blame lies with the schools themselves allowing students to come and go as they please but marking them as full attendence. immigration are doing their job and the students will do what they can get away with if they are so inclined. maybe now would be a good time to take some responsibility and get your own houses in order?

Edited by ColdSingha

I have done a 6 month ED visa before, and it was fine. I missed 1 day in 6-months. I learned some Thai, and felt it was worth the money. However, my next trip will be on a tourist visa (multiple), take 3 classes, and not worry about anything. I take the classes so my mind works while in Thailand, and it's a good time killer. Speaking is fun, and you are right I use Thai less than 0.1% when in America. But who cares.....it makes my time in Thailand better for sure. I expect to be at the Intermediate level after this trip, but it really doesn't matter. I like this change. I think they should be tested, and there will still be plenty of supply of tourists.

In Korea you need 10,000 USD in your account to study for a year. I'm sure you do, but maybe that means at a real university, not sure.

It is very true, if you are in America and make no interest to learn English, well, there are many people who will not like you. Sad, but true. So learn Thai!!

What I don't understand is that he said the course he was doing was an online course and not a school, I can't quite get my round how this could possibly work with all these rules and the active roll that schools need to play in order to maintain the course membership and satisfy immigration, anyone have any experience of this or is he heading for a disaster

What's his school?

All the rules discussed here are about extension of stay at immigration, not a visa. Visa and extensions are not the same thing. A consulate can issue a non-imm ED visa, also multi-entry, according to their discretion and policies.

All the rules discussed here are about extension of stay at immigration, not a visa. Visa and extensions are not the same thing. A consulate can issue a non-imm ED visa, also multi-entry, according to their discretion and policies.

so the ED Visa does not need to be extended by local immigration or a person does not need to report in order to remain and continue education, if that is the case then I don't quite have a grasp of this ED thing

My question relates to someone doing an online Thai course rather than attending a school and how that fits with these rules, my friend seems to think it is fine but was unable to explain how

so the ED Visa does not need to be extended by local immigration or a person does not need to report in order to remain and continue education, if that is the case then I don't quite have a grasp of this ED thing

My question relates to someone doing an online Thai course rather than attending a school and how that fits with these rules, my friend seems to think it is fine but was unable to explain how

It's like any other multiple-entry visa, with the person doing border runs every 90 days for as long the visa is valid, hence never going to immigration office.

If the consulate is OK with studying online, nothing prevents them from issuing the visa. They are not subject to Immigration rules and they do not depend by the same Ministry.

Smedly, could you tell us the name of the school please ?

I have no idea if it is linked to a school, all I know is it is an online course - you do know what online means right

Just to make it clear one more time:

No MoE recognized school == No extension of stay.

So if the school gives MOE the application letter that your level will change from Beginner to Intermediate when applying for the 2nd year of ED visa, there would be no problems & you would have one year, not 6 months?

it was not for the 2nd year it was after 6 months... let see if the MOE can process the documents faster ... or not

I'm off to chiang mai tonight. Whoever said that my school had some students caught working was right (some Koreans in a Korean barbers) and the hammer is coming down hard on the whole school. Even to us clasd attending students. I noticed that numbers in my class were way down this week. I suspect a lot of people have been kicked out.

Chiang mai is dodgy but hey TIT. My concern is my next trip to BKK immigration when I have my new ED visa from Uni. If they scrutinize my passport and see a CM office stamp there. I guess I'll just say I lived up there for a few months. Sawat de jao....