Crackdown On Mia-Noi's

george

Privacy investigators busy checking on rich men's 'gik'

CHIANG MAI: -- Private investigators are enjoying a boom in Chiang Mai where the relatively new phenomenon of "giks" - casual affairs - is upsetting politicians and businessmen with young girlfriends and mistresses.

One investigator, who would only identify himself as "Chana", heads a team of seven people who spy on girlfriends of the rich.

He started his sleuthing business more than a decade ago, explaining that 70 per cent of his work involves suspected love affairs.

Just 20 per cent involves tracking down bad debts and the rest is standard legal work.

His company receives about 10 "gik" cases a month but can follow up on only half of them because they often take as long as two weeks to resolve, he says.

Most clients are working people such as civil servants, merchants, business owners and politicians, Chana says.

Once, most of his clients were suspicious wives checking on their husbands whom they suspected of cheating.

But today, more and more men want to know what their wives or girlfriends are up to when they are not around.

Teenagers or students are often the "targets" of investigations - especially female students working part time at entertainment venues or the mistresses of rich men, he says.

"Before, it was the wives of rich men hiring us to spy on their husbands.

"But, lately, it's those rich men - politicians or businessmen - who are worried their mistresses have a younger man as a 'gik'.

"They hire us to spy on their girlfriends," he says.

Although there are at least 10 investigation outfits in Chiang Mai, only a few are registered.

The majority of private eyes are former police officers and they secure cases from connections they made while on the force - lawyers and such, Chana says.

Work most often came via word of mouth, he says.

Tracking down "giks" is risky - the biggest worry for the investigator is having his cover blown.

Investigators also often do not get paid, Chana says.

This is either because investigations are "incomplete" or customers act on preliminary results and manage to get their cheating partners to confess, he says.

Consequently, investigators like Chana now demand a down-payment - usually half the normal fee of between Bt6,000 and Bt20,000.

Fees varied depending on circumstances.

If the target is an "influential person" such as a politician or policemen then the job is considered "high-risk" and, therefore, can cost more.

-- The Nation 2006-08-08

Privacy investigators busy checking on rich men's 'gik'

Most clients are working people such as civil servants, merchants, business owners and politicians, Chana says.

April 1st Right? Otherwise how could the first and last groups on that list be included in the same sentence as the words "working people"?

Once, most of his clients were suspicious wives checking on their husbands whom they suspected of cheating.

But today, more and more men want to know what their wives or girlfriends are up to when they are not around.

"Before, it was the wives of rich men hiring us to spy on their husbands.

"But, lately, it's those rich men - politicians or businessmen - who are worried their mistresses have a younger man as a 'gik'.

"They hire us to spy on their girlfriends," he says.

Som Nam Na (and check back for my forum comments 3 years ago that the new visa rules (the money-led ones for Non-imm B's, Pensioners and the married, were all designed to stop foreigners stealing the mia-noi spare capacity - didn't work did it? :D:D:D )

If the target is an "influential person" such as a politician or policemen then the job is considered "high-risk" and, therefore, can cost more.

-- The Nation 2006-08-08

Surprise surprise - not!

Best laugh in a news clipping for months :o

Gaz

Everybody wants to rule the world...eh....no....Everybody wants to be investigated.....or have someone investigated. Me myselves just want a new "gik"...

THOSE POOR UNSUSPECTION EX COP PI's OUT THERE GETTING THEIR COVER 'BLOWN'...WOW WHAT A PLACE TO LIVE IN CNX....by the way anyone been to Mae Sai since 1st AUG entry fee into Myanmar now 500 baht...photo scanned and form to be fillied in..you probably knew that any way.

What is the world coming to when the younger unofficial mistresses of politicians, businessmen and various government officials refuse to follow the unwritten, uncodified rules regarding the relationship? Sounds like the end of the world to me...

:o

Edited by Narratio

How sad--you just can't trust anyone these days. Cheaters are now being cheated on--what's this world coming to?!

It would save everyone a lot of time and money if all politicians and people of influence (other dark forces) published a list of their mia nois in order of their importance. This would eliminate all suspicion and would become something of a badge of honour. Remember that 'face' is as important as the other attributes of greed and envy.

What a wonderful news post. A few anonymous calls to the right ears could start a mia noi revolution. What a thought!!

The funniest part came when I saw that 245 OTHER visitors were reading this topic along with me!

Yeah the topic interests a lot of people... my first thought was "Let's hope my wife doesn't read this"... hehe just kidding :o

oh, my; what a freakin' laugh. guys who give young girls money and think that will secure them a girlfriend who is true to them while they're away (even though the guys themselves are cheating on someone else), then find out that the chick is doing someone else (or perhaps SEVERAL someone elses) while they're not around. sound familiar, fellow farang? get a clue, please... even in thailand, MONEY CAN'T BUY YOU LOVE! as long as there are idiot guys (of whatever nationality) around to give them money for sex, many thai women will continue to work it. WAKE UP!

:D:D My guess is half (if not more) of the male Population in Thailand has a girlfriend :D:D no crap I know I do :o just have to be careful of STD and the wife cuttiing off the PECKER!!

Yep, you don't want to turn BigSnake into LittleSnake... :D

private investergator in thailand?

no thank you as we all know how the thais go balistic when loss of face is concerned. :o

This is one of the main reasons we resist providing too much detail when giving interim reports to a client. Although we give absolute confidentiality to every client, may clients don't perceive that it's a two-way street. If they act on the information before the active phase of an investigation is concluded they can place our investigator at serious risk.

Tracking down "giks" is risky - the biggest worry for the investigator is having his cover blown.

Investigators also often do not get paid, Chana says.

This is either because investigations are "incomplete" or customers act on preliminary results and manage to get their cheating partners to confess, he says.

It's a fact of life in private investigations that if the client reneges on a promise to pay, there's very little the investigator can do to recoup the loss. Even when dealing with a dead-beat, breaching confidentiality is not an option, so what leverage does the investigator have? This problem is greatly compounded when the client is off-shore.

Under our current business model we tend not to accept cases of very long duration. Instead we'll break the work down into discrete phases, usually of 2 to 5 days, and always pre-paid until the client has proved himself and payment terms may be given. (It also allows us to prove ourselves to the client, with whom we generally have no prior relationship.) This protects both parties financially and allows the client to decide whether to continue or terminate the assignment as he or she prefers. Everyone's interests are better served this way.

Fees varied depending on circumstances.

The only time fees should vary is when additional resources must be dedicated to the case, usually in the form of multiple investigators working the same case at the same time. This is rare in a simple surveillance (which encompasses most loyalty and marital cases.)

If the investigator isn't confident in his ability to complete the assignment, he shouldn't take the case in the first place. And charging a premium rate isn't going to help you if you slip up and make the wrong enemy in the VIP caste. Those few extra baht probably won't get you out of lock-up and they certainly won't get you off a slab in the morgue.

You can surmise that the premium rate is charged because the client is likely a member of the same social class; we view charging variable rates on the basis of perceived ability to pay as unprofessional.

s3_copy37.jpg

A Chiang Mai woman checks out an advertisement for private eyes offering to lift the lid on ‘giks’.

Source: The Nation - 8 August 2006

Maybe that just their branch office… :D

Reminds me of when my colleague Warren Olson (the original Thai Private Eye) started out with his stickers in toilets! But it worked all the same… :o

Check out Warren’s fascinating new book "Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye" it’s getting good reports. http://www.monsoonbooks.com.sg/bookpage-confessions.html

Ps. I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Thai-Spy. But I must admit we do not chase the “Thai on Thai” business, that’s best left to the Thai agencies.

We specialize in helping non Thai’s resolve their problems with Thai’s.

Edited by thaiprivateeye

I am a bit confused here can someone clarify this. From my understandings a Gik is not a Mia-Noi. From what I was told by several Thais is the following:

A wife is a first tier relationship.

A Mia-Noi is a second tier relationship or second wife. The relationship is not open to others.

A Gik is a third tier relationship that either can have other lovers outside of the relationship. A Gik is more or less a casual lover.

How sad--you just can't trust anyone these days. Cheaters are now being cheated on--what's this world coming to?!

LOL yep yep

but istn't a gik a casual relationship allowing to see other people, while Mia-noi is not?

Cheers

Sam

Okay, so what's the WORST thing that can happen here? Two people break up and become single? Then we get another Single Girl in the Bunch? Heeeeyy Sounds like a plan to me, where do I donate to this fund? :D

The bottom line here is, if this is all it takes to break up a Relationship, can you REALLY call it "Love" in the first place? Understanding Human nature is to understand that living with the SAME PERSON your whole life can get a little boring. Yeah?

So wouldn't TRUE LOVE be to try to UNDERSTAND your Mate, and Understand the special needs they might have along with that, maybe even do what you can to Help them out a little? Wouldn't that be a more Compassionate and Understanding approach to Love and Relationships than to hire someone to "Spy" on your Lover? Isn't Love suppose to be built upon Trust? So if there is no Trust, then how can you call it Love? And if there is no Love, then why do these people waste their money hiring Private Investigators to "Spy" on their Mates? What would be the point?

I once had a Girlfriend who actually would bring Girls home to me for me to have, and she never got jealous about it afterwards. As a matter of fact many times after the Girl left, me and my girlfriend would go out to eat and dance and go movies and wind up having a very romantic evening together, because her Compassion for my needs, was much more erotic than the fling with the other Girl. She taught me a lot about life. She felt she would much rather know who I was screwing around with, and get it over with, and feel confident that She was number one, instead of having to worry about if I was going to run around on her behind her back. The more she did this, the more I naturally wanted to be Loyal to her, just because her Compassion kept me in a state of AWE for her. It was like how many girls was I gonna find like this in the world? We had a really good relationship together, but in the end she married someone else. Too bad for me I guess, cause she was Awesome!

The main point I am trying to make here is Love is based on Trust, and Compassion and Understanding is Greater than Hatred and Contempt. The more we stay focused on what is really important in a Relationship, the stronger the relationship will become.

I hope this helped someone out there.

SUA*

:o