Proposed alcohol ban for New Year and Songkran

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Songkran no alcohol??? I don't think I've seen many people sober on Songkran.

what I find funny is that they tend to make a lot announcements but implement very little later. Remember the announcement in Chiang Mai to ban all beer girls and alocohol advertisement and alocohol promotions?

• Like 2

This is a ban on the CONSUMPTION of alcohol in PUBLIC PLACES. Which is different to the usual ban on the SALE of alcohol on Buddhist holidays and election days.

IMO, this is only a ban of drinking alcohol on streets, in parks, outside 7/11s, etc, not on buying and drinking alcohol in bars and restaurants.

too much to expect people to read beyond the headline, if they could manage all those words up to the opening sentence:

a ban on the consumption of alcohol in public places

and perhaps comprehend the intent . . .

eg

Chanthaburi city has had this form of ban, permanently, not for specific holidays etc - in place since late 1990s, as has our town in the same province.

In the years we've lived here, festivals, holidays etc, never been an issue.

Well-signposted and policed if required - though we've never seen any 'trouble'.

Keeps public parks etc free for families, year-round.

Alcohol remains on sale at bars/restaurants. As the article states ''public places"

I suggest they put up signs at every bar and ban the public then because it is no more a place which entertains THE PUBLIC will be within their rights to serve alcohol.

Great idea.

Den

Good idea if public places are defined as parks, beach, street etc. NOT bars/restuarants. Why not make the rule applicable all year round. Does'nt stop people drinking to their full, in bars,restuarants, private gardens and homes, just not where , perhaps families are shopping, picnicing and generally enjoying a pleasant peaceful time together.

It seems something like this happens every year but does not go through and I hope this year is no exception. Tourists come to Thailand for many different reasons And, partying is always at the top of the list. If this goes through it will devastate Thailand.s 2015 tourist numbers. The kids and the punters will go elsewhere. Thailand has a lot of competition now.

As others have stated, this applies to public places only. Bars, clubs, restaurants, golf clubs, convenience stores etc will be selling alcohol as normal.

Not a bad idea IMHO.

i always take a few beers to the the beach and watch the fireworks on NY eve. alsways fun and never a problem. so what now, the police are going to be roming the beaches telling tousands of people to throw their booze away?

No, for you & me there will be the usual ฿5000 fine that can be reduced to ฿1000 or ฿2000 depending on your nogotiating skills.

I'm sorry but I don't see the problem here, The articles opening sentence clearly states in big bold writing "Public places". So no problems if you drink in a Pub, Hotel, Bar, Restaurant. It is against the law to consume alcohol in public places in Australia 365 days a year. Australia also relies heavily on tourism.

Hilarious, I do get a laugh with these do-gooders, I think whoever made that decision was already pissed as a fart, It will never happen, especially at Newyear & Songkran. Can't imagine they are trying to encourage tourism with <deleted> like this.

i always take a few beers to the the beach and watch the fireworks on NY eve. alsways fun and never a problem. so what now, the police are going to be roming the beaches telling tousands of people to throw their booze away?

Why not, most other countries would not allow it either.

Was just looking forward to returning to Thailand for the Songkran let the party commence without alcohol so it’s going to be a drug fuelled week instead shocking and I enjoyed a Leo or 2 so only option now is crystal meth and yaba for the party lovers.

This sounds like a fun New years NOT !!

Read the full thread people. It clearly says PUBLIC places. That means on the street, in parks at the Zoo etc. It doesn't mean bars and clubs.

I thought Bars & restaurants were public places.

Private or non public places being open only to those invited.

• Like 1

This sounds like a fun New years NOT !!

Read the full thread people. It clearly says PUBLIC places. That means on the street, in parks at the Zoo etc. It doesn't mean bars and clubs.

Yes because Songkran is normally held indoors and not in public places right?

I guess you don't participate in these festivities then?

I'm sorry but I don't see the problem here, The articles opening sentence clearly states in big bold writing "Public places". So no problems if you drink in a Pub, Hotel, Bar, Restaurant. It is against the law to consume alcohol in public places in Australia 365 days a year. Australia also relies heavily on tourism.

Do you see a lot of Thai people celebrate Songkran in bars, hotels and pubs ?

A great idea , this will have the numbers thru Swampy skyrocketing, unfortunately for TAT the increase will only be at the departure gates.

But hang on, maybe this is a joint venture WITH TAT to ensure that they do not miss their "projected" increase in Middle Eastern and Arab tourist, who as everyone knows never touch alcohol.

You are wrong my friend. There are a lot of "Muslim Lights" hanging around at the British Club in Bahrein enjoying their Scotch from as early as 10'o cock in the morning. All of them wearing a towel with a black ribbon around their head. See for yourself.

• Like 1

Thiis gets proposed every year but has not been implemented.....what I would propose is that anyone caught drunk driving or causing accident during these periods be sent to jail for a year...then there might be fewer accidents in holidays in the future,

Why ban alcohol for the 97% who are not driving drunk ?

3% out of 67 million (not counting farang) is still 2 010 000 pax giggle.gif