Proposed alcohol ban for New Year and Songkran

Jonathan Fairfield

This is the easy way alcohol is a dangerous drug more so as many illegal ones. However just call up more cops (think that is the problem they cant get the cops to do this on new year) and put up many roadblocks an fine people (and lock them up) for drink driving. As there is a drinking and driving culture here. Alcohol without driving is dangerous and bad for you (but a free choice and so it should stay) but there should be zero tolerance for even a glas of alcohol and driving and fines should be sky high to deter people. That is a far better thing then to ban it flat out.

However it takes more manpower.. and I think that is the problem cops dont want to work on newyears eve.. cops dont want to work period.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Brilliant ! My mate, my GF and me will be booking a flight to Phnom Penh for New year, we are not travelling all the way to Thailand for Xmas and New Year to drink coffee !

Another great idea to get tourism back on track - I think not !

No need to worry, the bars and clubs will be open as normal. Some people seem to be suggesting that 'public places' include licenced premises, I am suggesting that they do not.

The definition of a public place differs slightly from the dictionary to the meaning defined in Thai law I would suggest.

And for those blaming the government; at the moment it is only a proposal by a medical group and has not been decreed as law in any means or form.

Yet............................wink.png

Just received an e-mail from friends telling me they've changed their travel plans to Hanoi rather

than Thailand for Songkran dates due to reports they've been reading online. So, now I'll join them

there since it's starting to not sound too inviting here. I guess the slack in tourism does have it's reasons.

You should commend your friends' decision. Songkran is the worst time of year to visit Thailand! They will have a much better time here when the madness is over.

• Like 1

A great idea , this will have the numbers thru Swampy skyrocketing, unfortunately for TAT the increase will only be at the departure gates.

But hang on, maybe this is a joint venture WITH TAT to ensure that they do not miss their "projected" increase in Middle Eastern and Arab tourist, who as everyone knows never touch alcohol.

No,it's to stop cheap charlie piss head farangs from hanging around 7's and family marts making a nuisance of themselves.Surely there are enough places too drink and drink cheap.I once saw a bar set up by 7 in Pai,away from the front door,very innotive.Heaven forbid i compare Thailand with farangland,but surely these bans are in place already in the west.Public drunkeness is a bad look and does us no favours.Once being a perpetrater of these evil crimes i now see the light and am a reformed man,only get hammered at home.Lot safer that way.

A great idea , this will have the numbers thru Swampy skyrocketing, unfortunately for TAT the increase will only be at the departure gates.

But hang on, maybe this is a joint venture WITH TAT to ensure that they do not miss their "projected" increase in Middle Eastern and Arab tourist, who as everyone knows never touch alcohol.

You are wrong my friend. There are a lot of "Muslim Lights" hanging around at the British Club in Bahrein enjoying their Scotch from as early as 10'o cock in the morning. All of them wearing a towel with a black ribbon around their head. See for yourself.

Was sarcasm my friend sarcasm

I know. I live in Hat Yai and every weekend you can see those, who get out of their frocks and caps, get dressed in white shirts, black trousers, and enjoy the night life here. Latest on Sunday there are all gone, back to Kelantan, wearing their caftan again, sipping on tea and praising Allah for the wonderful weekend.

Speaking of which, Malaysia, which has Islam as its official religion (apparently they're NOT a Muslim country, just has Islam as the official religion - go figure), and which bans Muslims from drinking alcohol, DOES NOT ban alcohol sale or public consumption of it (as long as you don't do it within the compound of, say, a mosque). Alcohol sale in restaurants, bars, pubs and convenience stores goes on as usual 365 days a year - regardless of what the next day is. They just have very stringent police road blocks to sniff out drunk drivers and they have a less corrupt police force (I did NOT say NOT corrupt) that is able to enforce the law more effectively. This does not mean Malaysia is perfect - far from it. They have their fair share of stupid and silly problems but at least they don't ban alcohol sale and consumption like Thailand does. Then again, Malaysia is one of the world's most expensive place to drink due to the alcohol taxes, so I guess the government doesn't want to upset that revenue stream... wink.png

Ah what the h3ll. Just change the national religion to Islam coffee1.gif

it does appear that this place is close to establishing a moral police force, similar to what they have in Saudi Arabia, probably the least fun country in the world. Maybe soon, music will also be outlawed? And revealing clothing? The army is dangerously close to crossing the line, where they no longer have the support of the people. A few more moves like this one, and anything could happen. There does appear to be a tremendous lack of wisdom and guidance at the moment. Does the country feel rudderless? And we thought it was rudderless under the Yingbat?

• Like 1

Or maybe, just maybe, 'public places' in Thailand carries the same meaning as it does across the western world and you'll no longer be able to stagger down the street swigging from a bottle of vodka? Whereas a bar is a private establishment where alcohol can be drunk all day long.

Just a thought.

Don't think too much mate,common sense is in short supply on this forum as is reading comprehension.

• Like 1

If it reduces the Road Carnage.... BRING IT ON....EXTEND IT !

Shit driving abilities and poorly maintained vehicles and lack of common sense, and piss poor road conditions are also major contributing factors for the road " carnage"

Let's stop blaming alcohol for everything !!

If you can't stand the thought of everyone else enjoying themselves like they have done for decades then stay at home and read a book or two.

Reading a book is exactly what i do on NY,and Songkran i leave the country altogether.If you need alcohol to enjoy yourself,you have a problem,i suggest you seek help.

nobooze.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The Public Health Ministry looks set to propose a ban on the consumption of alcohol in public places during the New Year and Songkran holidays.

If the proposal gets the go ahead, the ban could come into effect later this month and will start on Dec 31st to Jan 1st and then again on April 13th to 15th - at height of the Songkran celebrations.

According to the Bangkok Post, the proposal was announced by Dr Saman Footrakul, director of the Alcohol Committee Office which is part of the Disease Control Department, at a seminar on Tuesday 3rd December.

Dr Saman reportedly said the proposed alcohol ban would be submitted to the permanent secretary for public health during the alcohol-control meeting which is to take place later this month on December12th.

tvn.png

-- 2014-12-04

Just ban the sale of alcohol nation wide in all mini marts 711's tesco and supercheaps before 5pm i say. I go to my local tesco express same time at 8am daily seeing the same people buying cans of singha and getting into their work car. Its way to easy to get it here. And seems to be the norm.

" I go to my local tesco express same time at 8am daily seeing the same people buying cans of singha..."

Most Tesco, 7-Eleven stores sell alcohol between 11.00am and 2.00pm and 5.00pm and Midnight, the 'Chinese' mini-mart shops seem to be able to sell 24-7.

If it reduces the Road Carnage.... BRING IT ON....EXTEND IT !

Shit driving abilities and poorly maintained vehicles and lack of common sense, and piss poor road conditions are also major contributing factors for the road " carnage"

Let's stop blaming alcohol for everything !!

If you can't stand the thought of everyone else enjoying themselves like they have done for decades then stay at home and read a book or two.

Reading a book is exactly what i do on NY,and Songkran i leave the country altogether.If you need alcohol to enjoy yourself,you have a problem,i suggest you seek help.

I suggest you read a little bit more closely ?

I don't drink and don't need if to enjoy myself. But at the same time what others chose to do is up to them!

By leaving the country on both occasions it sound more like you're the one with the problem, what's wrong with staying at home, but just not participate in the social aspect of both occasions?

What you, and many others fails to grasp is that other peoples social activities are their business And fine , I'm sure you have your reasons and your opinions are respected, but you need to also respect those who do like to party and drink, it's their business, and private lives.

I like the party atmosphere I can enjoy it with and without a beer in my hand, in my own opinion New year is overrated it's not any different socially from any other night on the piss. But I don't moan about it when other people want to enjoy themselves ?

Those saying about others poor comprehension also need to understand as some have said, that the bars are public.

It is the authorities who need to clarify what they mean and not us.

We do know how crazily a badly worded order from above can be interpreted by the authorities ergo anything could happen.

Was sarcasm my friend sarcasm

I know. I live in Hat Yai and every weekend you can see those, who get out of their frocks and caps, get dressed in white shirts, black trousers, and enjoy the night life here. Latest on Sunday there are all gone, back to Kelantan, wearing their caftan again, sipping on tea and praising Allah for the wonderful weekend.

Speaking of which, Malaysia, which has Islam as its official religion (apparently they're NOT a Muslim country, just has Islam as the official religion - go figure), and which bans Muslims from drinking alcohol, DOES NOT ban alcohol sale or public consumption of it (as long as you don't do it within the compound of, say, a mosque). Alcohol sale in restaurants, bars, pubs and convenience stores goes on as usual 365 days a year - regardless of what the next day is. They just have very stringent police road blocks to sniff out drunk drivers and they have a less corrupt police force (I did NOT say NOT corrupt) that is able to enforce the law more effectively. This does not mean Malaysia is perfect - far from it. They have their fair share of stupid and silly problems but at least they don't ban alcohol sale and consumption like Thailand does. Then again, Malaysia is one of the world's most expensive place to drink due to the alcohol taxes, so I guess the government doesn't want to upset that revenue stream... wink.png

The fact is, in Malaysia there are counties with complete different rules. In Penang (Perlis) you can drink a beer in public in a restaurant, and in Kota Bahru(Kelantan), the only place, where you officially can have a glass of beer or wine, is one five star hotel. When I was there, some time ago, some workers were putting up a huge advertisement for Garnier shampoo on the wall of a house. That advertisement was brought down after two hours, because the lady within the advertisement wore no hijab. Kelantan today, though 10 times larger than Perlis, brings in less taxes to the State of Malaysia, than Perlis. This is due to the fact, that no foreign or even local company wants to invest in Kelantan, as five times a day the production lines will come to a halt.

Fat Haggis, thought he didn't drink? Before ya said ya drink about 1 litre a month? Make ya bloody mind up!!!

I wouldn't class a bottle of beer a month as being a drinker, sometimes when I'm on leave I won't drink at all like I said, it doesn't float my bots these days.

I could go 6-7 month without touching a beer or any alcohol, it's not something I miss either, I have mates in the same line of work who spend their entire leaves on booze and birds spending 10-20K a night!!

But that's their choice, I wouldn't dream of telling them it's a waste of money, that's down to them to figure it out.

I was in a relationship back in the UK prior to coming to Thailand where my partner liked her drink and dope, I didn't like that scene at all, I tolerated it, till it got to the point I couldn't stand her mood swings. Leaving that relationship and that scene was the best thing I ever did. She used to call me Dull and boring because I didnt want to get stoned and smashed every single weekend.

I work in a "dry" (zero booze) company, and work away 6-8 weeks at a time, so carrying over the dry part when I get home is easy mate.

In my 20's I was not a very good drunk, now I'm in my 50's drink holds no appeal, a bottle of beer every blue moon to be sociable is the extent of my drinking. That's why I'd class myself more of a non drinker than a drinker ?

• Like 1

nobooze.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The Public Health Ministry looks set to propose a ban on the consumption of alcohol in public places during the New Year and Songkran holidays.

If the proposal gets the go ahead, the ban could come into effect later this month and will start on Dec 31st to Jan 1st and then again on April 13th to 15th - at height of the Songkran celebrations.

According to the Bangkok Post, the proposal was announced by Dr Saman Footrakul, director of the Alcohol Committee Office which is part of the Disease Control Department, at a seminar on Tuesday 3rd December.

Dr Saman reportedly said the proposed alcohol ban would be submitted to the permanent secretary for public health during the alcohol-control meeting which is to take place later this month on December12th.

tvn.png

-- 2014-12-04

Just ban the sale of alcohol nation wide in all mini marts 711's tesco and supercheaps before 5pm i say. I go to my local tesco express same time at 8am daily seeing the same people buying cans of singha and getting into their work car. Its way to easy to get it here. And seems to be the norm.

" I go to my local tesco express same time at 8am daily seeing the same people buying cans of singha..."

Most Tesco, 7-Eleven stores sell alcohol between 11.00am and 2.00pm and 5.00pm and Midnight, the 'Chinese' mini-mart shops seem to be able to sell 24-7.

Damn right ban the stuff all together never needed it to make me happy.

Fat Haggis, thought he didn't drink? Before ya said ya drink about 1 litre a month? Make ya bloody mind up!!!

I wouldn't class a bottle of beer a month as being a drinker, sometimes when I'm on leave I won't drink at all like I said, it doesn't float my bots these days.

I could go 6-7 month without touching a beer or any alcohol, it's not something I miss either, I have mates in the same line of work who spend their entire leaves on booze and birds spending 10-20K a night!!

But that's their choice, I wouldn't dream of telling them it's a waste of money, that's down to them to figure it out.

I was in a relationship back in the UK prior to coming to Thailand where my partner liked her drink and dope, I didn't like that scene at all, I tolerated it, till it got to the point I couldn't stand her mood swings. Leaving that relationship and that scene was the best thing I ever did. She used to call me Dull and boring because I didnt want to get stoned and smashed every single weekend.

I work in a "dry" (zero booze) company, and work away 6-8 weeks at a time, so carrying over the dry part when I get home is easy mate.

In my 20's I was not a very good drunk, now I'm in my 50's drink holds no appeal, a bottle of beer every blue moon to be sociable is the extent of my drinking. That's why I'd class myself more of a non drinker than a drinker

Me too mate a beer or 2 max a month is it for me. Dont see the appeal anymore.

In my 20's I was not a very good drunk, now I'm in my 50's drink holds no appeal, a bottle of beer every blue moon to be sociable is the extent of my drinking. That's why I'd class myself more of a non drinker than a drinker

Me too mate a beer or 2 max a month is it for me. Dont see the appeal anymore.

Not sure any of you guys know about the "private messaging" function TVF has. Its really cool, and you wont pollute the discussion.

• Like 2

My family was thinking about going to Thailand over Songkran.......but I like to drink a few beers and my wife somestimes like a glass of wine.... ,

NOW ....it seems that the braintrust off less intelligent people have struck once more !! They dont want Tourists in Thailand !! again....THEY DONT WANT TOURISTS IN THAILAND !!!!!! We will book Malaysia instead !!

Dear me,whole holiday based around if you can drink in the street or not,what a sad priority you have.

• Like 1