Proposed alcohol ban for New Year and Songkran

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't Thailand just go ahead and ban anything and everything that brings any form of enjoyment of any kind to anybody. Ban drinking,camping,fishing,kissing,dancing,smiling,laughing. Just ban it all.

They're talking about banning people from drinking alcohol in public places.

Not a ban on selling alcohol in any way whatsoever.

If you want to drink 10 beers go to the bar and drink them, just don't run amok through the streets swigging from a bottle of rum and I'm sure everything will be just fine.

For those individuals who are commenting on my post they should understand what is considered a public place.

A public place is generally an indoor or outdoor area, whether privately or publicly owned, to which the public have access by right or by invitation, expressed or implied, whether by payment of money or not, but not a place when used exclusively by one or more individuals for a private gathering or other personal purpose. Bars and restaurants are also considered public places.

• Like 1

@ukrules. A bar is considered a public place.

From what I've read it talks about public government operated facilities, not privately operated places.

A bar is not a public place, if you own a bar or restaurant you can deny entrance to anyone you want, hence it's not a public place, it's a private place.

Believe what you want, they're not trying to ban alcohol sales like on election days. That's something entirely different and prevents the sale of alcohol, not the consumption of it.

A public place is an area where the public is invited or is permitted which includes bars and restaurants. Yes bars are privately owned but I believe they are still considered public places. Anyway we wil just have to wait and see.

Edited by ldiablo

A public place is an area where the public is invited or is permitted which includes bars and restaurants. Yes bars are privately owned but I believe they are still considered public places. Anyway we wil just have to wait and see.

Social customs and laws on drinking alcohol in public vary significantly around the world. "Public" in this context refers to outdoor spaces such as roads, sidewalks or parks, or in a moving vehicle. Drinking in bars, restaurants or stadiums, for example, is not generally considered to be "in public" even though those establishments are open to the general public. In some countries, such as India, the United States and in larger regions, such as the Muslim world, public drinking is almost universally condemned or outlawed, while in other countries, such as Portugal, Spain, Germany, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Japan, public drinking and public intoxication is socially acceptable, although may not be entirely legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_in_public

Suck down a beer in a public place in Huntington Beach California, land of the free. You'll be arrested.

You can drink in your home, you can drink in a bar, you can drink in a restaurant, you can drink in your friend's home. But you can't drink in public. When I lived there years ago, they even arrested people sitting on their front porch and their front yard drinking beer, because the public could see them. There were a bunch of court cases about the guys arrested on their own property, but I moved away long before they were settled.

Rules like this are certainly not unique to Thailand.

Yes we get it. You can carry a gun but not a bottle of booze in your country. But we do not come to Thailand to have imposed on us the right wing neo con view of the America puritanical far right.

Why doesn't Thailand just go ahead and ban anything and everything that brings any form of enjoyment of any kind to anybody. Ban drinking,camping,fishing,kissing,dancing,smiling,laughing. Just ban it all.

They're talking about banning people from drinking alcohol in public places.

Not a ban on selling alcohol in any way whatsoever.

If you want to drink 10 beers go to the bar and drink them, just don't run amok through the streets swigging from a bottle of rum and I'm sure everything will be just fine.

According to the Bangkok-based newspaper we're not allowed to link to, the Public Health Ministry is now talking of banning all alcohol sales during New Year and Songkran, which is a little beyond what the article here has suggested.

I'm pretty sure this has been mooted many times and nothing has ever come of it in the past but this is an unknown Government perhaps with fewer vested interests than their predecessors so who knows?

Ah what the h3ll. Just change the national religion to Islam coffee1.gif

Just a second thought on this, I was recently in Malaysia, a predominantly Muslim country, and realised, as I was thinking about buying a couple from a local mart and checked my watch, that I wasn't in Thailand, a predominantly Buddhist country, and could buy alcohol whenever I damned well pleased! w00t.gif

@brewsterbudgen

Then tell me why in your opinion are bar and club owners making an uproar about this possible ban. Maybe you should check the latest report on Thai Visa

I guess they must believe everything they read! It won't happen. Edited by brewsterbudgen