Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

Example #1: Shooting themselves in the foot once again. (With their barbarism):

“Many reports have been in the Thong Lor area."

"An expat resident living in the area claimed that on Monday police forced him to the Thong Lor Police Station for a urine test."

"When he couldn’t produce, he says they forced him to drink four liters of water and pressed forcefully on his bladder to make him urinate and touched his penis.” blink.png

Out of control Thugs.

Example #2: Inserting their foot in their (ignorant) mouths again:

"It could have been drugs-related charges, but those arrests are of colored people,” said investigator Chaliew of the Khlong Tan police department, who refused to give his last name.

“Mostly drugs and illegal immigration charges. … There haven't been many arrests of white people ... like Americans."

I wasn't aware there are only white people in America. blink.png

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATTENTION:

We need to brainstorm and find a resolution to stop these harassment from the Thonglor Police! So, what can we do, any suggestions? Does anyone has a connection with CNN, Fox news or Huffpost? We should let the world know about the harassments involving tourists and expats in Bangkok from Thonglor Police Department!

I have connections at every major company in the world, and also news outlets/governments and more, so if you require anyone in particular message me.

Roger Ailes CEO Fox News [email protected]

Arianna Huffington Founder Huffington Post [email protected]

Jeffrey L Bewkes CEO Time Warner (inc CNN) [email protected] 212-484-800

Just do it when your sober.

Couple of thoughts. For a while it looked liked Prayut had the Thai police under

his thumb, essentially de-nutting them by attacking their top structure. Has some

change occurred with the police now going after tourist money with a vengeance?

Have they somehow regained the upper hand ?

Or if this is being done with the blessing of Prayut, then it appears he no

longer wants tourists. If so, then they should just say so with a public statement ,

and tourists can avoid the hassle of flying all the way to Thailand just to have to

pee in a cup by the side of the road....

Frakking genius. What a great way to help Thailand recover its reputation as a tourist destination. I have started to tell my fellow Ozis to go to the Phils, not Thailand, for their 4 weeks of annual freedom. Even with its problems (the occasional 'super' typhoon), it is looking better and better. Maybe time to relocate? But is there a Phil equivalent to thaivisa, where I can recursively bitch and moan with like minded cynics?

Refer you to rule #141453 talking about other forums which may be construed as competition to thaivisa is not all- ... oh never mind. :)

We've never been welcomed here. Only tolerated because of our money. Money is the only thing these crooks are after. Don't ever let them search you. If they are really interested in enforcing the law, i will gladly drop off a mirror so they have a clue where to start.

To say that we have never been welcomed here is the understatement of the century.coffee1.gif

If you feel so-o-o-o-o unwelcome why don't you leave? Or are you just happy complaining about your life?

...when I was told as much....to my face......I was warned for being 'inflammatory'.....

....some of us have been through the wringer a few times....with little or no recourse.....

...others may have been more fortunate.....

....a group of missionaries once told me...'We would never come here without a support network...and support from back home'.....

...others amongst us.....took the 'romantic route'....and woke up in a nightmare....

....even with children.....often used as pawns..or things to control.or own.........

...what to do....???

My Thai wife is visiting home for a month soon without me, I prefer not to go as things are at present.

I doubt you'll notice anything of this or any other abnormality besides the usual abnormalities coming to Thailand, suit yourself.

I've been stopped a few times going back several years in the Asoke area, but it was late at night and I was in a taxi cab. Cops had a checkpoint at the corner of Asoke and a soi just off of Sukhumvit. I had to get out of the taxi, empty my pockets, they patted me down, asked where I was staying, where I was going, etc. I didn't have my PP with me and they didn't ask for it. I was polite, respectful, cooperative and even saluted the cops. They saluted me back and told me to have a good time. I complied...

But these incidences sound more aggressive. I am planning to be in BKK the end of Dec...might have to re-think that idea.

There is one or two possibilities here.

1: The Coconuts site is just scaremongering and publishing unsubstantiated hearsay - which looks very possible.

2: With the recent events well publicized and the obvious forthcoming events that may come as a rather big shock - they are preparing to close the borders so to speak, and turn it into some sort of Khmer Rouge - which is certainly a possibility given comments from some of the Yellow Brigade over the past couple of years.

3: It is just some local Bangkok thing where they are out scamming.

There has been a lot of Police activity up here in the North the last couple of days, obviously some VIP's as there was a lot of road blocks and closures along the 108 Highway.

I must admit, I got caught up in the road blocks on my bike but the cops were friendly and civil, in fact they did their best to help me get out of the blocks and there was certainly no shakedowns or anything like that.

Guess time will tell, I am a bit 50/50 as to what is happening here at the minute, some of it seems like a storm in a teacup but every now and then there is that feeling that something very very bad is going to happen.

Okay, so now I'm getting a bit concerned. I've spent my whole life living in Asia as an expat, and when living in Japan in the 1980's as a teenager, we were told we had to carry our "Alien ID card" (love the wording!) at all times. So we did, and we got used to it - it was not our passport, but rather a separate ID issued to all foreigners living in Japan legally. Now I live in Bangkok, between Phrom Pong and Thong Lor. I'm on a non-immigrant B visa, which I got legitimately through one of the wonderful legal firms advertising on this forum (I'm a freelance consultant, so have no other choice w/re to visa). I have no problem carrying a photocopy of my passport and visa page, but I am NOT about to start carrying around my actual passport. Why should I? Are the Thai police going to pay for my new passport if my bag gets snatched in a robbery?? Some people seem to think this whole thing is a joke, but I don't think it's at all funny. Whether they're short on tea money, trying to catch actual criminals, or whatever - I find this all pretty disturbing, especially in light of the current state of government here since May....would really appreciate some hard facts and actual answers on this issue rather than some more BS stories about how this is all a joke. It's certainly not a joke to those who have apparently experienced it....

Thailand,s largest group of organised criminals is swinging into play, possibly because they fear a crackdown by the military and want to milk the golden goose while they can. This can only serve to drive tourists to other countries, but greed will play the strongest hand, with no conscience, and they will have their loot :(

They just don't want tourist anymore !

Everyday another attempt to stop tourists from choosing Thailand as a travel destination.....

Yep, I swear they fail to realize that without tourism this country would wither and die. Do they think they can function on the sale of rice? Best call in Yingluck laugh.png

But these incidences sound more aggressive. I am planning to be in BKK the end of Dec...might have to re-think that idea.

Working in the Asok area, I've been following this on the interweb as the story grows wings.

Seems that your chances of being hassled are a lot lower if you stay out of the Thong Lor police area, which covers just about every instance I've read about this week. If anyone has seen different, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Seems inevitable that the Agoda and Hotels and ... and... ratings on all the hotels in the area will take a huge hit as people get home and post their feedback.

that won.t happens in thailand with the thai police they need money, it need to stop that why the tourists rate gone right down they don't harass thai people , i know i have seen it happen ,, the thai army needs to stop it and look after the Tourists,

a lot of Tourists are going to Saigon and vietnam know , a lot cheaper there , P.S the thai bath is not good know it gone right down , they need to sort it out,

p.s the thai police know that the 2 people they have for killing 2 english people did not do it , that the thai police for ya they don.t give a <deleted>,

I have been told that the reason

For upsurge in stop checks

Is drug related

The police have got the idea

That the back pack er

Tourist are drug dealers users

Hence urine test

Seem to be targeting

20/30/40

Age group

Male mostly

If you've never smoked weed

Or taken any

Recreation drugs

Drugs are the big no no

THIS IS THE REASON

I was just saying to my partner today that the police don't have to be corrupt to make good money. There is so many things happening right in front of them each and everyday they could probably rack up a lot more money doing the right thing. Just as an example how much could they make for fining people not wearing helmets (passenger included), driving on the wrong side of the road, crossing double lines, cutting corners, driving and riding dangerously, unroadworthy vehicles, not stopping at pedestrian crossings, not stopping at red lights, failure to indicate, driving with un-care due and attention and the list goes on and on. If they cracked down on this they would make much much more money and make the road much much safer as well.

I used this example to point out to my partner just how much could be made each time we saw something on our short drive. In less than 10min, I could have racked up close to 20,000 baht without doing anything other than fining those actually doing something wrong.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Coconuts = Tabloid style news for Thailand expats

I think the foreigner should also get 10k reword for turning the corrupt police in. Fair is fair

The best way to end up in an 'assisted suicide'!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We've never been welcomed here. Only tolerated because of our money. Money is the only thing these crooks are after. Don't ever let them search you. If they are really interested in enforcing the law, i will gladly drop off a mirror so they have a clue where to start.

To say that we have never been welcomed here is the understatement of the century.coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif>

If you feel so-o-o-o-o unwelcome why don't you leave? Or are you just happy complaining about your life?

If YOU feel sooooo upset about people's post here then why don't YOU leave!? Or are you just happy complaining about your life?

same same

I wonder if they are going to shake down the Egyptians and Jordanians once they start arriving. Anyone seen them hassling the Chinese hordes recently ? Probably not, just the falang get this very special treatment, "We just want to help you, but there is a surcharge of 100 Baht. More if you complain."

When friends or family tell me that they want to visit Thailand, I tell them don't bother, "go somewhere else". I never thought after 34 years I would say that.

Archived