Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This brings to mind the Hua Hin fiasco a few months back where a local immigration chief announced it was compulsory to have your original passport on you at all times... this caused such negative media coverage that it quickly went up the line and got knocked on the head by a superior official. In the same way, sanctioning random stops and searches of tourists/expats with compulsory urine testing and possible detention is a serious escalation in police activity which the powers that be much higher up may not be aware of. I think they have no idea how outrageous foreigners find this and if it goes unchecked it will fast become major news in the foreign press.

For now, since there's no official announcement of new policy (as there was in the Hua Hin situation), I guess these complaints are effectively anecdotal until a certain amount of evidence is gathered.

If you feel so-o-o-o-o unwelcome why don't you leave? Or are you just happy complaining about your life?---robertson468

Because most of the complainers don't even live here robertson...............................coffee1.gif

Lets not blow this out of proportion.

While the alleged behaviour of Thong Lor police is unacceptable, and an unjustifiable burden on tourists and local residents, it does not seem to happen anywhere else in Bangkok or any other place in Thailand.

Okay, so now I'm getting a bit concerned. I've spent my whole life living in Asia as an expat, and when living in Japan in the 1980's as a teenager, we were told we had to carry our "Alien ID card" (love the wording!) at all times. So we did, and we got used to it - it was not our passport, but rather a separate ID issued to all foreigners living in Japan legally. Now I live in Bangkok, between Phrom Pong and Thong Lor. I'm on a non-immigrant B visa, which I got legitimately through one of the wonderful legal firms advertising on this forum (I'm a freelance consultant, so have no other choice w/re to visa). I have no problem carrying a photocopy of my passport and visa page, but I am NOT about to start carrying around my actual passport. Why should I? Are the Thai police going to pay for my new passport if my bag gets snatched in a robbery?? Some people seem to think this whole thing is a joke, but I don't think it's at all funny. Whether they're short on tea money, trying to catch actual criminals, or whatever - I find this all pretty disturbing, especially in light of the current state of government here since May....would really appreciate some hard facts and actual answers on this issue rather than some more BS stories about how this is all a joke. It's certainly not a joke to those who have apparently experienced it....

Show them your Thai driver's license... That shows that you are not a tourist and should shut them down...

Thonglor is indeed a bad place for Farangs to walk the streets. The BiBs are even getting 'creative', f.i. by removing all existing ashtrays and flowerpots alongside the street, ...to shake 2,000 out of the Farangs (no Thais) getting rid of a cigarette bud (even in a gutterdrain by absence of alternative), while the side of the walkway is carpeted with the rests of Thai rollies, and, mind you, it's very organised, very 'civil', a cop speaking good English sitting under an umbrella behind a table with a few chairs for the 'culprits', with several plainclothed coppers hidden around with talkie-walkies, plus a few 'big guys' in uniform, hidden too, for 'possible incidents'! Just to name one extortion which was new for me... Oh, and as usually it can be 'negotiated', but then no paperwork...

As if the RTP brass doesn't know about Thonglor, and a few other stations, along Sukhumvit... Of course the post's higher officers should be disciplined, but nothing happens, and a group of Sr. Sgts. can make, and keep, a whole station rotten too...

Thats not all folks - Reports on DSBKK today say they are stopping tourists coming in at the Airport for having too many cigarettes, which seems plausible since there is a limit.
But wait!
They waited until the tourists walked outside the airport before they pounced, searched bags, found 3 packs of cigarettes, then fined them 10,000 baht!
But why outside the airport? Surely the Xray and customs officials inside the airport is the usual place for this?

Oh right - the 10,000 baht fine was Corruption tea money

I have been told that the reason

For upsurge in stop checks

Is drug related

The police have got the idea

That the back pack er

Tourist are drug dealers users

Hence urine test

Seem to be targeting

20/30/40

Age group

Male mostly

If you've never smoked weed

Or taken any

Recreation drugs

Drugs are the big no no

THIS IS THE REASON

What a load of naive rubbish. Yesterday were reports of 70 year old Indian couples being scammed by these mafia-in-brown. Is this the first you've seen of this story? How can you possibly spout nonsense that it's backpackers and tourists when most of the reports are of perfectly respectably-dressed EXPATS going about legitimate business? Everything you've said is ignorant of all that's been reported so far. In fact, you actually sound like a parrot working for the brown mafia.

This... is... not... about... drugs...

This is about going after a vulnerable section of society who are easy marks for cash. Foreigners have few connections, few rights and - a lot of the time - little knowledge (same as you) of Thailand and thus they are ripe for the picking by the fecal mafia.

Okay, so now I'm getting a bit concerned. I've spent my whole life living in Asia as an expat, and when living in Japan in the 1980's as a teenager, we were told we had to carry our "Alien ID card" (love the wording!) at all times. So we did, and we got used to it - it was not our passport, but rather a separate ID issued to all foreigners living in Japan legally. Now I live in Bangkok, between Phrom Pong and Thong Lor. I'm on a non-immigrant B visa, which I got legitimately through one of the wonderful legal firms advertising on this forum (I'm a freelance consultant, so have no other choice w/re to visa). I have no problem carrying a photocopy of my passport and visa page, but I am NOT about to start carrying around my actual passport. Why should I? Are the Thai police going to pay for my new passport if my bag gets snatched in a robbery?? Some people seem to think this whole thing is a joke, but I don't think it's at all funny. Whether they're short on tea money, trying to catch actual criminals, or whatever - I find this all pretty disturbing, especially in light of the current state of government here since May....would really appreciate some hard facts and actual answers on this issue rather than some more BS stories about how this is all a joke. It's certainly not a joke to those who have apparently experienced it....

Show them your Thai driver's license... That shows that you are not a tourist and should shut them down...

Worked, but no more in many places: only the original passport, or some good money changing hands...

Can anyone point me to the law that states you have to carry your passport with you.

Anybody else remember the Deputy General saying that they don't expect tourists to carry passports with them, they are much safer in hotel safes ?

lived in bkk for many years (until mid 2013) and been stopped and searched by the police @asoke intersection multiple times. the police was always friendly and i never been asked to pay any money. the original id card of my country was always good enough for them (did never carry my passport or copy of it).

Lived in Udon 2 years..Never been stopped by police for anything..Stopped once in the car for a license check. Showed It, and that was that. Just had a week in Chiang Mai..Same. Is this only a Bangkok thing? Don't see any complaints from residents of Phuket, Pattaya, Issarn etc.

It's a Thong Lor BiB thing... They've been doing it for years, although it appears they have ramped up random searches lately... Not sure which is worse around the Asoke / Sukhumvit intersection at night, the BiB or the ladyboys trying to pick your pocket...

So who is this English guy?

Then this English guy crosses the road and says Youve been acting suspicious ... I want to see your passport,' he recounted."

Since when can Brits, or indeed any other foreigner, ask to see a passport?

They just don't want tourist anymore !

Everyday another attempt to stop tourists from choosing Thailand as a travel destination.....

Yep, I swear they fail to realize that without tourism this country would wither and die. Do they think they can function on the sale of rice? Best call in Yingluck laugh.png

I think both of you are off-target. They do want tourism, but they are redirecting their campaigns away from Europeans, Americans, Brits and Aussies etc. Those that built Thailand's tourist trade. Now they are after increased mainland Chinese numbers (20 million plus over the next couple of years), there goes the neighborhood, and as reported only this week they are about to target Egypt and Jordan. They targeted the Russians several years ago as we all know, but that is not doing as well as they thought. TAT didn't count on Russia shooting down passenger aircraft, invading countries etc.

Who will Sauron (sorry, TAT) caste his beady eye on next ?

Then this English guy crosses the road and says Youve been acting suspicious ... I want to see your passport,' he recounted."

They had a German guy working for Immigration in Jontiem last year.

I was just saying to my partner today that the police don't have to be corrupt to make good money. There is so many things happening right in front of them each and everyday they could probably rack up a lot more money doing the right thing. Just as an example how much could they make for fining people not wearing helmets (passenger included), driving on the wrong side of the road, crossing double lines, cutting corners, driving and riding dangerously, unroadworthy vehicles, not stopping at pedestrian crossings, not stopping at red lights, failure to indicate, driving with un-care due and attention and the list goes on and on. If they cracked down on this they would make much much more money and make the road much much safer as well.

I used this example to point out to my partner just how much could be made each time we saw something on our short drive. In less than 10min, I could have racked up close to 20,000 baht without doing anything other than fining those actually doing something wrong.

Excactly what I was telling my wife today! Stupid to the bone really!

Lets not blow this out of proportion.

While the alleged behaviour of Thong Lor police is unacceptable, and an unjustifiable burden on tourists and local residents, it does not seem to happen anywhere else in Bangkok or any other place in Thailand.

And nana/asoke http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780754-police-stop-and-searches-on-sukhumvit-on-the-rise/

My son is going to Bangkok to volunteer with a well known org, however they've said that he shud come on a tourist visa because if the write a letter for volunteering they have to get him a work permit. The embassy said that's not so. Anyone know ???

It is no exaggeration, the police are definitely stepping it up lately. I've lived in Thailand for 15 years and came here for the first time 18 years ago. Almost the entirety of that time spent in Bangkok. I never had a policeman so much as look at me until last year, never even spoken to by a cop previously.Last year was my first converstaion with a Thai policeman. Our bus was pulled over on the way from Khon Kaen to Udon. There were 3 or 4 Lao guys, me and another farang. We were asked to get out of the bus and have a talk with the cops. They did nothing other than check our papers, passports etc. and that was that. A few months later was riding as a passenger with my nephew up in Isaan and we were pulled over. They asked me to get out, they just looked me up and down asked for my passport which I happened to have and then they told me to get back in the car and away we went. Last month I was taking a walk just to get out of the house outside the village and a cop truck pulled over. Very stern and angry looking guy rolls down the window with three other cops sitting in the back and asked me what I was doing, I told him I was walking, he asked where I said "Home." He just peeled out and left without a word.

“Then this English guy crosses the road and says ‘You’ve been acting suspicious ... I want to see your passport,'” he recounted."

He gives a name that sounds more Turkish but he is British. I think the name was Akkar. He claims to have a work permit for assisting issued from the Thai Royal Police head quarters. He doesn't actually ask to see the passport (at least in my case) but tags along with the police and translates as he is fluent in Thai. My feeling he tags along to play good cop if someone is caught out for something.

I have been told that the reason

For upsurge in stop checks

Is drug related

The police have got the idea

That the back pack er

Tourist are drug dealers users

Hence urine test

Seem to be targeting

20/30/40

Age group

Male mostly

If you've never smoked weed

Or taken any

Recreation drugs

Drugs are the big no no

THIS IS THE REASON

You mean there are 'new kids on the block', attempting to divert some money from the, well-oiled, long existing, distribution system, the ... runs?

Archived