Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

I've had this. Went to BKK a few weeks back and was waiting at Ekkamai Bus Station for a friend to pick me up. A couple of Policemen were sat opposite the bus terminal and they pulled me over and asked to search my laptop bag. No reason was given. I showed them my Thai Driving Licence and they just shrugged their shoulders and turned away. Mind you this is nothing new because I also had a similar thing happen in about 2010 when I was returning from a night out in BKK and the cab I was in was randomly pulled over and I was asked to get out and given a very thorough search. When I questioned the reason for the search the Policeman just put his hand on his gun so I shut up. Nothing on me (not even money cos I was spent up) so I was allowed to get back in the cab and continue my journey.

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets not blow this out of proportion.

While the alleged behaviour of Thong Lor police is unacceptable, and an unjustifiable burden on tourists and local residents, it does not seem to happen anywhere else in Bangkok or any other place in Thailand.

Yet.

They just don't want tourist anymore !

Everyday another attempt to stop tourists from choosing Thailand as a travel destination.....

Do you really have any proof of that statement other than your own fantasy, people have been rattling this old line for years but the tourist keep on coming. Stops and searches have been going on for years around thong lor area nothing new.

My son is going to Bangkok to volunteer with a well known org, however they've said that he shud come on a tourist visa because if the write a letter for volunteering they have to get him a work permit. The embassy said that's not so. Anyone know ???

Tons of threads devoted to the subject in the Thailand Visas section. Search the site for " volunteer work permit " and you'll get your answers. Spoiler alert... bad idea.

While the alleged behaviour of Thong Lor police is unacceptable, and an unjustifiable burden on tourists and local residents, it does not seem to happen anywhere else in Bangkok or any other place in Thailand.

biggrin.png

I have been told that the reason

For upsurge in stop checks

Is drug related

The police have got the idea

That the back pack er

Tourist are drug dealers users

Hence urine test

Seem to be targeting

20/30/40

Age group

Male mostly

If you've never smoked weed

Or taken any

Recreation drugs

Drugs are the big no no

THIS IS THE REASON

What a crock of you know what ... drugs might be the "excuse" they are currently using to shakedown foreigners, but the "reason" they are doing it is to make some easy cash from foreigners because their normal avenues of gaining those extra funds to pay for (some of) their lavish lifestyles and promotions have been curtailed somewhat by the military recently. Let's not forget, the vast majority of the drug trade/drug smuggling that goes on here in Thailand is facilitated and protected by the Police themselves.

Is drug related

That the back pack er

Hence urine test

Seem to be targeting

20/30/40

Age group

Male mostly

Or taken any

Recreation drugs

Drugs are the big no no

THIS IS THE REASON

were you trying to make a haiku?

They just don't want tourist anymore !

Everyday another attempt to stop tourists from choosing Thailand as a travel destination.....

Yep, I swear they fail to realize that without tourism this country would wither and die. Do they think they can function on the sale of rice? Best call in Yingluck laugh.png

Why do you equate a 6% loss of revenue with certain doom? And by the way, agriculture brings in more than tourism.

"it’s difficult to verify or substantiate many of the claims..."

Yet, they're published without shame.

Look, people don't just make these things up. I've read 3 articles about it this week, in 3 different news sources, including Bangkok Post. And each one of those stories was followed by countless more in their comments section involving recent events. This new government wants foreigners to feel threatened.

If TAT adhered to truth in advertising...

Come to Thailand! Get shaken down, harassed and robbed by the local police force...then head south and get raped and murdered on a beach! Want to stay longer? No worries! We'll make it as difficult as possible! It's FUN! Really!

"Although it’s difficult to verify or substantiate many of the claims,"

This has been going on now for a couple of weeks.......and Coconuts reporters state this..........

You've only got to go along Suk and see it........it's shakedown......useless moron RTP.............

The good news is that this crap is getting out into the International media

It isn't just Bangkok. It is happening in Issan also, perhaps not on the scale reported in Thong Lor. I've been stopped at roadblocks I've never been stopped at before. Had to pay "fine" for not having green book in truck, what the hell is a green book? Oh the bank has it, now have a copy and that is all that will ever be in there. Roadblocks etc. everywhere up here, even the wife who knew the cops, had to get out of truck while they searched it. I got stopped and asked for passport, not DL, cop looks says "This not America". I take that as a clue, a big one. I think a couple of reasons, the military has cut off a lot of their "income" and the mia noi's must be paid. The current government and great leader is anti-farang. There are clues in every speech he gives and have been since he started. Do you think all the crackdowns on closing times, Lao ladies, alcohol, roadblocks around the farang areas etc. are an accident, I think not. We are not welcome by this government and it rubs off, or as the saying goes, sh*t runs down hill and we are at the bottome. And to the love it or leave it yahoo's living in la la land, I've got a Thai family, I don't have to love everything about the country and I'm not going anywhere.

lived in bkk for many years (until mid 2013) and been stopped and searched by the police @asoke intersection multiple times. the police was always friendly and i never been asked to pay any money. the original id card of my country was always good enough for them (did never carry my passport or copy of it).

Well, that has changed dramatically in the last months.

Yet.

Well, lets cross that bridge when we get there -- if we ever do.

Always thought you're quite positive.

What about calling the UN ,and making a complaint of infringement of Human rights . Aside from that let it be known as many already do ,the Lumpini ,and Thong lo stations are the most corrupt of all Police Stations in Bangkok .They are going too far and have to be stopped !

I have seen three stories on this topic on travel forums and websites.

>If you can, take down the policeman's name and badge number ....document everything ... never sign anything

>If you see it happening film it and upload to YouTube.

>Eventually the embassies will be forced to formally complain to the PM and Thailand tourism will be dead. D-E-A-D.

Waiting for TAT's next new branding idea.

In an article published earlier this year, the PM said tourists and expats DO NOT have to carry passports at all times. I think he trumps local police.

Sadly very true here in CHiang mai as well-I followed a Thai woman on a motorbike over a road and a policeman stepped out of the shadows and stopped us-he waved the Thai woman on and demanded 500 Baht from me-I wAS OUTRAGED AND WOULDNT comply so he pulled out his book and issued a ticket for Baht 500 and kept my Drivers license. I went down to the station to speak to the commander and said just the same-that what good will it ever do Thailand to target foreigners and tourists,it will only drive them away in the long run.Tourists should be forgiven very readily because we dont know all the laws or see the non-existent signs or we many times we follow the Thais,when in Rome do as the romans do, so it is terribly unfair to stop only the Farangs.Later on after my fine was forgiven I went back several times and watched their actions and indeed they were stopping only foreigners.When they saw me taking video they packed up and left,presumably for aNOTHER STREET CORNER.What are they thinking?????????????????

In an article published earlier this year, the PM said tourists and expats DO NOT have to carry passports at all times. I think he trumps local police.

Sadly, his number isn't on my speed dial for when those guys (with guns) are insisting that we do....

Many sexopats were taking drugs and harassing tourists, boiler room lads begging from tourists and poor farang that lost teachers jobs started to run drugs for international gangs. I was also told that many farang go to Nana area to buy drugs and then often pass Tong Lor on their way home. He also told me that if druggy farangs are deported the number of high rise balcony jumpers might drop.

Is all this real or am I high on something?? I didnt do nuffin

Strangely enough, this summer, the Spanish were offering tourists an official - police copy of their passport so they can carry that and avoid having the real one stolen. I didn't check on the cost and don't know if the service is still available.

Perhaps it would be nice if the RTP could offer that?

Also make it about credit card size so it fits in the pocket easily?

It is law in many countries that visitors must carry their passport at all times.

If carrying your actual passport,wrap it in something waterproof because it only needs a little wetting to render the passport useless!

Then you are into the additional waste of time and extra cost of an emergency passport, a replacement once you get home etc.

A royal pain in the bum!

there is no law in any country that you have to carry your passport,

there is a law that you have to indentify yourselve, so you can use your ID card or Driver License, International Driver License

for foreigner living here Thai Driver license is enough because all data are on the DL,

only if you are supected to comitted a crime or your ID is not correct they can force you for passport.

even Thai bank accept DL for indentification, they give me a new VisaCard in Koh Samui even my branch is in Chiang Mai,

i had only DL with me and bankbook,

dont scare too much when meet police,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is drug related
That the back pack er
Hence urine test
Seem to be targeting
20/30/40
Age group
Male mostly
Or taken any
Recreation drugs

Drugs are the big no no
THIS IS THE REASON

it's not the REASON, it's the excuse. The reason is, coming up to New Year and there's a major shortfall of "profits" in the little steel box. since the army have been busy, the usual avenues of income have dried up somewhat. Soft target are good targets.

So who is this English guy?

“Then this English guy crosses the road and says ‘You’ve been acting suspicious ... I want to see your passport,'” he recounted."

Since when can Brits, or indeed any other foreigner, ask to see a passport?

They can if they are volunteer Tourist Police who work with regular Thai Police to help with translations and explain to people why they are being stopped. As far as I know have Brits, Germans and a few Russians.

Archived