Issan (burriram)

macb

I

'm going to put in a small pond, I plan to regulate it with well water. It's going to be a koi pond. I also plan to have it mostly shaded.

Hi Soic

If by well water you mean from a bore hole, the water that comes out of mine is so rich in Magnesium I think it would kill the fish and it turns the water a purple colour.

Food for thought?

TBWG :o

I am also going to put a Koi pond in sometime, been going to do this for ages, got all the sandstone and volcanic rocks in the arden ready, and a hel_l of a lot more scattered on some land of mine, if any of you guys need big rocks i have plenty, i am going to put these in around the pool to make it look natural and a big waterfall, hope to start in October, here is a pic of my main house in Buriram, some of you guys may of been there,

ASSORTEDPICS088.jpg

ASSORTEDPICS086.jpg

Edited by Thaicoon

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Thaicoon

I'll definitely get in touch with you. I appreciate the offer and will definitely be grateful for any advice. I have several books on the subject and am planning it off the cuff. It's going to be my pet project. I have to add a guest room on the back corner of our little lot and then fill the middle and under the porch with pond, koi, flowers and trees. It's going to be quite the busy little area. I need to do something to keep my joints from rusting.

Thanks again!

I

'm going to put in a small pond, I plan to regulate it with well water. It's going to be a koi pond. I also plan to have it mostly shaded.

Hi Soic

If by well water you mean from a bore hole, the water that comes out of mine is so rich in Magnesium I think it would kill the fish and it turns the water a purple colour.

Food for thought?

I am also going to put a Koi pond in sometime, been going to do this for ages, got all the sandstone and volcanic rocks in the arden ready, and a hel_l of a lot more scattered on some land of mine, if any of you guys need big rocks i have plenty, i am going to put these in around the pool to make it look natural and a big waterfall, hope to start in October, here is a pic of my main house in Buriram, some of you guys may of been there,

ASSORTEDPICS088.jpg

ASSORTEDPICS086.jpg

I

Hi Soic

Food for thought?

This is completely dependant on where you live and mainly what the local agriculture is and how far down the bore goes.... if you live in an urban area, most of the rain water (which is what ends up underground usually) will be perfectly drinkable by you and the fish will have no problem living in it.... if you live in an agricultural area, it depends upon how many chemicals/fertilizers have been used in the surrounding area...... rice, usually not a problem, as very little additional help, nutrient wise, is required

Other crops could be slightly different.... especially in the case of rubber trees.... Papa spends most of his time showering the ground around his trees with water that would probably turn a white shirt yellow.... there is a good possibility that most of the nasty stuff will be leeched out as it filters trough the soil... I have been drinking well water for a little over two years with no ill-effects (apart from the first three months, when I didn't stray more than 30 feet from the hong nam)

Koi are fairly hardy, they can live in most conditions, they tend only to breed when the water temperature is acceptable to them (as most types of carp do) But if you are really serious about keeping Koi, take the well water for analysis.... and don't just accept the "yes. it's water, that you may get from some labs"

Its going well in this Forum wel done guys:

Here are some pics of the house with a visistor

Just came for a shower

So whats for Breakfast

Well you dont seem a bad bunch

Macb

A couple of years ago having a Barbie, also had some gatecrashers, but two big to throw out, the Mahute's made some money that day, charging for taking the kids's around the village, also the big kid's, it made the day, when i said just going to the shop to get some more Chaing's and these turned up, everyone thought it was planned.

ASSORTEDPICS101.jpg

ASSORTEDPICS119.jpg

Edited by Thaicoon

Maybe useful info for some of the guys who are thinking of building fish ponds and the likes.

Last week our swimming pool construction was ready to be filled with water. We too have our own "bore hole" supply, no town water in the village. The pool construction company explained that although they could still clean up downhole water, it would take double to treble the time, plus a lot more chemicals.

My wife therefore went to the local "council" in Prachon Chai and ordered two tankers of town water. It was 4,000 baht for 45,000 litres, so not too bad, that included delivery ( we are about 20kms away).

If you require quite large quantities, this may be the way to go initially, then top up with bore water and rain water as required. Ludo at TimeOut (fishing park/restaurant) tops up his fishing park with 1000's of litres of bore water at a time and he has a full pond of many types of freshwater fish.

Hope this helps.......... :o

Its going well in this Forum wel done guys:

Here are some pics of the house with a visistor

Just came for a shower

So whats for Breakfast

Well you dont seem a bad bunch

Macb

A couple of years ago having a Barbie, also had some gatecrashers, but two big to throw out, the Mahute's made some money that day, charging for taking the kids's around the village, also the big kid's, it made the day, when i said just going to the shop to get some more Chaing's and these turned up, everyone thought it was planned.

ASSORTEDPICS101.jpg

ASSORTEDPICS119.jpg

[Here are some other guests that i found in our garden]

Well this I think was a cobra it reared up and had a go at me but I won with a Scaffold pole

This I found in the garden it was already dead fortunately

The wife called me one day to look at this brown scorpion she found under a rock i took the pic then the missus topped it

So you do need to be aware of where you walk and keep your eyes open, thats why I strim my garden and keep the grass short.

macb

we had some drinks near the lake on the border one afternoon...anyone recall that ?

that would have been "The Dam"...... few of us can say the real name properly..... the signs in English say "Huai mek dam" . (I think)... needless to say, I don't look at the signs any more.

Was Barry from Australia by any chance?

Yeah...South African but lived in Oz before moving to Thailand...he is back here now for a while

Edited by gburns57au

The wife called me one day to look at this brown scorpion she found under a rock i took the pic then the missus topped it

Didn't think it was required to quote the whole post :o:D

But, a few months ago there was a scorpion near our house, it was brought to our attention by the dogs barking (they wouldn't get too close as they didn't know what the hel_l it was)

I told wifey to just stamp on it ....... "mai dai, Buddhist" ... was her instant response.

Ok thought I, as a sign of respect I won't kill it either..... so I got a spatula from the kitchen and hoisted it as far as I could away from our place...... it just happened to go in the direction of the in-laws house.

Later that day...... guess who got stung by a scorpion? :D

A fairly good definition of 'som nam nah' :D

Edited by Thaddeus

Well this I think was a cobra it reared up and had a go at me but I won with a Scaffold pole

So you do need to be aware of where you walk and keep your eyes open, thats why I strim my garden and keep the grass short.

macb

First year when we built our main house and started to clean the area( for old rubber tyres, all kinds of containers. old wood etc. :D ) we killed 7 cobras, among them 1 king and 3 spitting ones.

Lucky we had 2 Thai dingos which found them all and alerted us, so our workers could run and kill them, and have a snake bbq in the afternoon. :D

We still have the dingos (we will always have one or two) - last year we haven't seen any cobra, and the small snakes the dingos kill themselves. :D

In addition we have 2 French Mastifs (Dogue de Bordeaux) - they keep unwanted people away. :o

[

First year when we built our main house and started to clean the area( for old rubber tyres, all kinds of containers. old wood etc. :D ) we killed 7 cobras, among them 1 king and 3 spitting ones.

Lucky we had 2 Thai dingos which found them all and alerted us, so our workers could run and kill them, and have a snake bbq in the afternoon. :D

We still have the dingos (we will always have one or two) - last year we haven't seen any cobra, and the small snakes the dingos kill themselves. :D

In addition we have 2 French Mastifs (Dogue de Bordeaux) - they keep unwanted people away. :o

[WEll speaking of dogs this is my boy now 16months old and spot on but then he should be I trained him]

Okay Siesta time

post-32485-1156649746_thumb.jpg

Like a coiled spring

post-32485-1156649840_thumb.jpg

This was my last Police Dog on the Force wonderful animal

post-32485-1156650310_thumb.jpg

Edited by macb

Info please

Although I have been coming to Isaan for best part of 6 years I have never stayed for longer than 30 days at a time.

I am married to a Thai lady and we have a house and land in Satuk but blue book is in boss ladies name.

In October we will come for 6 months to avoid the UK winter. In anticipation I am just about to order a new motorcy. I would like to register this in my own name and I am told that i will need a letter confirming my Thai address.

On this site I have been told that this can be organised by UK embassy in BKK or local immigration office (where 90 day reporting is also done).

UK embassy has not responded to my e mail so I think best bet is probably local immigration office, so question is where is local reporting office for Satuk, Buriram Province. has anyone arranged letter in past at this office? is it straightforward?

Thanks in anticipation

Info please
Although I have been coming to Isaan for best part of 6 years I have never stayed for longer than 30 days at a time.

Forgot to mention

When searching info on forum, several people have referred to a yellow house book (Tambien Baan)

saying if I had one of these it would be acceptable as proof of address and smooth the way with Thai

authorities on many issues.

Anyone have one, or know where to get one in Satuk/Buriram area?

macb

Talking about the Cobras, we have had nests in our garden, quite frequent, my brother in law smokes them out and gets rid , but they return, due to my fault and error, i have a few ton of rocks piled up in the garden to use for the fish pool, these are a magnet for Cobras, they build there nests and lay under these, so got to get that pond done.

It was going to be a swimming pool, but talking to other ferrangs who have, they told me to leave well alone, if you are in a village, you have more trouble from dirt, insects snakes getting in and it will be a full time job, when i move to Buriram full time, i will then get a swimming pool done, at a resort i am building on another property of ours, maybe this will be an indoor one covered by a tinted glass dome.

UK embassy has not responded to my e mail so I think best bet is probably local immigration office, so question is where is local reporting office for Satuk, Buriram Province. has anyone arranged letter in past at this office? is it straightforward?

Yes, very straightforward.

I think your closest Immigration Office would be Kap Cheong (nice people)..... you need your Passport and copies of same, Boss Ladies Tabien Baan and ID card, copies of same, two passport sized photographs (of you :o ).... I think that's all..... oh, Marriage certificate won't hurt.

You'll have the relevant letter in about 20 minutes.

post-17773-1156688742_thumb.jpgpost-17773-1156688742_thumb.jpgYo MacB

The support for the Buriram forum is I think rather strong, let's keep it up.

As a reminder to you, I am still looking for a German Shepherd myself, a local acquaintance may come up with a litter in a year or so, but if you hear of a source yourself, well i am still interested.

In the meantime I adopted a couple of "kick-out's" and one of which has turned out to be a spaniel!!!!! had them from 3 weeks old and just took them in. However, as has been said on this thread, they are runts, but have big grunts when it comes to protecting our home and taking care of the unwelcome garden visitors, I wouldn't be without them....garden dingo's for sure when a little TLC is applied, sadly lacking with some locals I am afraid. :o

Edited by RayBan

I think your closest Immigration Office would be Kap Cheong (nice people)..... you need your Passport and copies of same, Boss Ladies Tabien Baan and ID card, copies of same, two passport sized photographs (of you :D ).... I think that's all..... oh, Marriage certificate won't hurt.

Hi Thaddeus

Thanks for info...can you give me a clue where Kap Cheong is only boss lady is not familiar with my farang pronounciation or spelling. If you can also spell in Thai all the better!

Thanks

I think your closest Immigration Office would be Kap Cheong (nice people)..... you need your Passport and copies of same, Boss Ladies Tabien Baan and ID card, copies of same, two passport sized photographs (of you :D ).... I think that's all..... oh, Marriage certificate won't hurt.

Hi Thaddeus

Thanks for info...can you give me a clue where Kap Cheong is only boss lady is not familiar with my farang pronounciation or spelling. If you can also spell in Thai all the better!

Thanks

TBWG :D

I'd love to, but my Thai typing is really really bad, and On is asleep (so bang goes most of the Thai input in one fell swoop)

But, from Buriram, you head south to Prakon Chai, in Prakhon Chai you take the road to Ban Kruat, go through Ban Kruat and just before you run out of road you hang a left to Kap Cheong (it is still another 67km at this point, so I apologise if I have not found the closest Immigration office).... but it is a road you can't get lost on.... unless you stop for a quick coffee at my house, which is only two minutes off that road and not that difficult to get back to, but does your significant other talk a bit, that can delay things :o

Joking apart ... it's really really easy.... and the directions are sound.

Self edit.... just been mulling this over for a few minutes (While listening to some music)..... Do you remember a 80's band called Wang Chung..... if you do the Cheong in Kap Cheong is pronounced much the same way, you just have to slide an 'ur' in-front of the 'ong;...... failing that, ask her about Chong Chom, that should work.

Edited by Thaddeus

Hi Thaddeus

Thanks

I'd love to, but my Thai typing is really really bad, and On is asleep (so bang goes most of the Thai input in one fell swoop)

But, from Buriram, you head south to Prakon Chai, in Prakhon Chai you take the road to Ban Kruat, go through Ban Kruat and just before you run out of road you hang a left to Kap Cheong (it is still another 67km at this point, so I apologise if I have not found the closest Immigration office).... but it is a road you can't get lost on.... unless you stop for a quick coffee at my house, which is only two minutes off that road and not that difficult to get back to, but does your significant other talk a bit, that can delay things :o

Joking apart ... it's really really easy.... and the directions are sound.

Self edit.... just been mulling this over for a few minutes (While listening to some music)..... Do you remember a 80's band called Wang Chung..... if you do the Cheong in Kap Cheong is pronounced much the same way, you just have to slide an 'ur' in-front of the 'ong;...... failing that, ask her about Chong Chom, that should work.

Hi Thaddeus

No wonder boss lady did not recognise it, I did not realise it was that far out, I said it was reasonably local!!

No I don't remember a band called Wang Chung, sure you've not been at the sauce again!!! :D

Thanks

[

and the directions are sound.

Not really. Not trying to ruin your coffee date Thad, but, that's 150 km's from Satuk that way. If you go through Surin, it's about 110. Kap Choeng immigration is 50km's from Surin. Guess it's coffee at the FC :D

And yes.........the immigratiopn people are so nice there.

Edited by lampard10

[

and the directions are sound.

Not really. Not trying to ruin your coffee date Thad, but, that's 150 km's from Satuk that way. If you go through Surin, it's about 110. Kap Choeng immigration is 50km's from Surin. Guess it's coffee at the FC :D

And yes.........the immigratiopn people are so nice there.

I knew that was coming.... I just didn't know how to get from Satuk to Surin.... (plus, I was hoping he would bring beer :D )

1. On the question of Yellow House book are we talking about FAMILY BOOK. I think so easy answer on how to get. Once you have been issued a house number which the village boss sorts out for you you go to the local government office where they get there ID cards from and you go from there.

I am sure this is what the thread was talking about.

On the subject of Khap Choeng immigration office. It is 90 clicks from my house in Huairat ,from Burriram you would take the 226 straight to Surin first set of traffic lights turn right run down to the roundabout where you see the Chang statues then just keep going, they have been improving the road its a good run. When I went in June all the satff have changed and there was a big meeting apparently they are going to build a new immigration office, now on this day all the old staff had gone which was annoying.

I am going to Khap Cheong on Wednesday for my 30 day check in and also get letter to re-new my thai Driving licences on the 1st

macb

post-17773-1156688742_thumb.jpgpost-17773-1156688742_thumb.jpgYo MacB

The support for the Buriram forum is I think rather strong, let's keep it up.

As a reminder to you, I am still looking for a German Shepherd myself, a local acquaintance may come up with a litter in a year or so, but if you hear of a source yourself, well i am still interested.

[Hi Ray how you doing mate, yeah will keep my ears open for pups but nothing at the moment, Yes I am pleased with the support for my request for a Burriram Forum its is starting to grow as you say keep it up guys]

macb

[

It was going to be a swimming pool, but talking to other ferrangs who have, they told me to leave well alone, if you are in a village, you have more trouble from dirt, insects snakes getting in and it will be a full time job, when i move to Buriram full time, i will then get a swimming pool done, at a resort i am building on another property of ours, maybe this will be an indoor one covered by a tinted glass dome.

macb

1. On the question of Yellow House book are we talking about FAMILY BOOK. I think so easy answer

When I went in June all the satff have changed and there was a big meeting apparently they are going to build a new immigration office, now on this day all the old staff had gone which was annoying.

I am going to Khap Cheong on Wednesday for my 30 day check in and also get letter to re-new my thai Driving licences on the 1st

macb

Actually, when they opened the new immigration office at Phusing ( about 100km's from Surin) the staff were divided between the two offices, with new staff making up the numbers. Now there are really helpful staff in both offices.

Well for those who did not know I asked about this Earlier but Satuk Airport has been closed for about a year now, so the nearest is 'Karat' about 225 k from Burriram.

Weather up-date for today in Huairat cloudy with sun periods but still hot, no rain for a couple of days now.

macb

[

quote name='macb' date='2006-08-28 14:40:46' post='868866]

Well for those who did not know I asked about this Earlier but Satuk Airport has been closed for about a year now, so the nearest is 'Karat' about 225 k from Burriram.

็็Hi Macb

Think that you will find Buriram Airport (Satuk) has been open quite sometime now. I flew out of there End April and my next door neighbour in Satuk used it in the last 2 weeks.

Yes it did shut for sometime when Phuket Air grounded its YS11's But PBair now operate nice new Embraer Regional Jets see...http://www.pbair.com/ 3 times a week to BKK.

PS Thanks for weather report!