Issan (burriram)

macb

[

I agree if you live in a village then a swimming pool is not a good idea thre is a lot of dust and insects etc would be more trouble than its worth. I considered building one but changed my mind. The onlt thing I am considering is a water feature ie fountain as we are going to block pave an area at the front of the house where a tbal and chairs will be, on going projects to keep one busy etc]

Hi

I also have doubts about the practicality of a swimming pool, however I think a nice compromise would be a jacuzzi type hot/cool tub to sit in cool off and drink a beer.

Anybody have one already?

TBWG :o

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well for those who did not know I asked about this Earlier but Satuk Airport has been closed for about a year now, so the nearest is 'Karat' about 225 k from Burriram.

Weather up-date for today in Huairat cloudy with sun periods but still hot, no rain for a couple of days now.

macb

SATUK AIRPORT SHUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <deleted> are my customers going that I send there three times a week to catch their flights to BKK. No ones complained yet. BFV-BKK-BFV stopped for about a month I think, nearly a year ago. And anyway there is another regular BKK airport at Roi-Et, only about 90 kms from Satuk. And actually Korat airport is also only about 90kms from Buriram.

Edited by lampard10

Reference Buriram (Satuk) airport, definitely open, I have been going through there twice a month since March. I have also just booked on line with PB-Air 2 days ago for a flight on Saturday 2nd Sept, which has been confirmed and e-ticket issued to me.

In regards to swimming pools and jaccuzi, I have both now. The myth of unwelcome visitors, sand, leaves, foreign objects etc in Isaan is no worse than anywhere else in Thailand. It is the design of the pool that is important to Isaan, because yes village sort of locations are susceptible to such. I have been into this in depth and also have visited several pools in the area owned by acquaintances.

Basically there are two types of circulation, the overflow system, which has a grid around the outer lip of the pool and water overflows into the grid and is filtered and circulated in this manner, not a good design for Isaan climates.

The skimmer system has jets that pump the filtered water out of one side of the pool, at or just below normal water level. At the other end of the pool is a skimmer (like a wide slot in the wall of the pool) which at normal water level height skims the surface of the pool and sends it, via easily removable filters, to the circulation system. Surface debris is driven across the pool, from the incoming jetstream, into the skimmer filtration system.

Secondly, especially for Isaan climates, raise the swimming pool wall away from ground level, mine is 20cms above. This prevents normal wind blown objects from entering the pool, unless of course there is a hoolie blowing, then it is no different to any other pool in the world.

The biggest problem with swimming pools is controlling the biggest bugs of all........kids......that is down to the individual. Anyone and everyone on this thread is welcome to visit and view for themselves...........I guarantee you will enjoy.........so no more "old Isaan wives tales" about pools in Isaan, it's just not true.

post-17773-1156778885_thumb.jpg

post-17773-1156778967_thumb.jpg

The next pic is when the pool was filled and being treated. At this time it is quite normal for the water to go dark. That is the millions of bacteria in a dead state.......our pool is now crystal clear. The purpose of the next pic is to observe the height of the pool wall from the ground level, stops most debris entering under normal conditions.

post-17773-1156779263_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps dispell any myths for anyone contemplating a swimming pool in Isaan.

Also note that the last pic of the pool is taken from my beer hut, a mere 1 metre from falling in the Jaccuzi.......... :o

[

In regards to swimming pools and jaccuzi, I have both now.

Hi Rayban

Pool looks good, do you think a jaccuzi would be practical on its own?

Did you use a local builder or instal it yourself? If a local builder are you happy with the work done? Would you recommend them?

Thanks

macb

SATUK AIRPORT SHUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <deleted> are my customers going that I send there three times a week to catch their flights to BKK. No ones complained yet. BFV-BKK-BFV stopped for about a month I think, nearly a year ago. And anyway there is another regular BKK airport at Roi-Et, only about 90 kms from Satuk. And actually Korat airport is also only about 90kms from Buriram.

[Looks like I got mis-informed by a local Thai Bussiness man yesterday Lampard so you can confirm that the airport is still up an running??????. I ask because I have mate coming up from Phuket to visit sometime next month I could do with any flight details you may have cheers]

macb

Yo MacB

Go to www.pbair.com and select English version...........all info available, including on line bboking and payment. They are pretty good and to date have made all my reservations this way and not had a hiccup. I have attached a timetable too..........all the best.. :o

post-17773-1156817801_thumb.jpg

PS.........due to fuel surcharges the Buriram fare is now 2,300one way, 4,600 return approx.

Edited by RayBan

Yo MacB

Go to www.pbair.com and select English version...........all info available, including on line bboking and payment. They are pretty good and to date have made all my reservations this way and not had a hiccup. I have attached a timetable too..........all the best.. :o

post-17773-1156817801_thumb.jpg

PS.........due to fuel surcharges the Buriram fare is now 2,300one way, 4,600 return approx.

[brilliant Ray thanks will look that link, looks like you got a nice pad to well done]

macb

Hi Rayban

Pool looks good, do you think a jaccuzi would be practical on its own?

Did you use a local builder or instal it yourself? If a local builder are you happy with the work done? Would you recommend them?

Thanks

Hi TBWG,

I'm sure a Jaccuzi on its own would be fine if that's all you want. However I think if you were going to actually build one in the ground, well a bit of extra cash could give you a small swimming pool too, something that you may regret not doing later on if you go down that road.

Alternately if you just wanted a hot tub type jaccuzi, well they are available I'm sure in Bangkok. I saw one some time ago in the Pattaya Carrefore superstore there. They have a very large DIY come furnishings outlet as part of the complex, called HomePro and they have jaccuzi baths etc and I once saw an outdoor one. HomePro sells quality material, so it wasn't cheap, if I recall it was up around 180,000.

I think with a swimming pool, it is my considered opinion that if you are going to build one, well bring in the experts, otherwise you could very well end up with a badly cracked one down the road. Having a process engineering background I can relate to the stresses involved and for instance one cubic metre of water can exert up to 1000psi (pounds per square inch). Therefore there is considerable stresses on the floor and walls, if not designed proerly you will be guaranteed serious problems down the road. So I brought in a company that has built several hundred swimming pools. They were not local, and there was an extra charge on top of the pool agreed price of 100,000 for them to come build in my village. May sound a lot, but the old saying is that you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to expertise.

I would be happy to assist you any further if you were seriously thinking of installing one. I am one of those guys who goes into everything before commiting, so from knowing nothing about swimming pools 6 months ago, well I consider myself a mini expert now. I would also not hesitate in recommending the company that built ours and several of my friends in the past. Hope this helps.... :D

Reference Buriram (Satuk) airport, definitely open, I have been going through there twice a month since March. I have also just booked on line with PB-Air 2 days ago for a flight on Saturday 2nd Sept, which has been confirmed and e-ticket issued to me.

In regards to swimming pools and jaccuzi, I have both now. The myth of unwelcome visitors, sand, leaves, foreign objects etc in Isaan is no worse than anywhere else in Thailand. It is the design of the pool that is important to Isaan, because yes village sort of locations are susceptible to such. I have been into this in depth and also have visited several pools in the area owned by acquaintances.

Basically there are two types of circulation, the overflow system, which has a grid around the outer lip of the pool and water overflows into the grid and is filtered and circulated in this manner, not a good design for Isaan climates.

The skimmer system has jets that pump the filtered water out of one side of the pool, at or just below normal water level. At the other end of the pool is a skimmer (like a wide slot in the wall of the pool) which at normal water level height skims the surface of the pool and sends it, via easily removable filters, to the circulation system. Surface debris is driven across the pool, from the incoming jetstream, into the skimmer filtration system.

Secondly, especially for Isaan climates, raise the swimming pool wall away from ground level, mine is 20cms above. This prevents normal wind blown objects from entering the pool, unless of course there is a hoolie blowing, then it is no different to any other pool in the world.

The biggest problem with swimming pools is controlling the biggest bugs of all........kids......that is down to the individual. Anyone and everyone on this thread is welcome to visit and view for themselves...........I guarantee you will enjoy.........so no more "old Isaan wives tales" about pools in Isaan, it's just not true.

post-17773-1156778885_thumb.jpg

post-17773-1156778967_thumb.jpg

The next pic is when the pool was filled and being treated. At this time it is quite normal for the water to go dark. That is the millions of bacteria in a dead state.......our pool is now crystal clear. The purpose of the next pic is to observe the height of the pool wall from the ground level, stops most debris entering under normal conditions.

post-17773-1156779263_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps dispell any myths for anyone contemplating a swimming pool in Isaan.

Also note that the last pic of the pool is taken from my beer hut, a mere 1 metre from falling in the Jaccuzi.......... :o

Thanks for the info, i would like to have your contact who built your pool, as i am very interested in having one built, back in Buriram October, please send me details, much appreciated,

Well guys I too would like to jump on the "Buriram forum" bandwagon!

I am currently living overseas and have purchased a house in Bangkok. But my wife is from Buriram and we purchased 7 rai of land in April. Stating some time next year we are planing gto build a modest retirement home. So eventually I plan on being a "Buriramian Bum," so add another farang to your count!:o

We are making 2-3 trips to Buriram a year and that will increase next year, I hope to meet some of you in the future. I probably saw a few of you in April, had a few beers in the Bamboo Bar and the in-laws had to point out every farang they saw as we drove around town. I am planning on being in Buriam for a few days next week.

Cheers!

Welcum aboard:

Going to have to organise a meet each other get together.

Where abouts in Burriram

macb

Don't you read anything, it is on this thread after all.....................................................I have already stated that we are going to have a meeting, after this saturdays party on sunday morning in the FC. This will be about splitting the Isaan forum into upper and lower Isaan. Surin , Buriram & Ubon being the three main areas we are interested in. There will be a number of moderators in attendance, so we can air our views direct to them. ( which is why I suggested at breakfast the following morning, rather than at the party)

Welcum aboard:

Where abouts in Burriram

macb

Don't you read anything, it is on this thread after all.....................................................I have already stated that we are going to have a meeting, after this saturdays party on sunday morning in the FC. This will be about splitting the Isaan forum into upper and lower Isaan. Surin , Buriram & Ubon being the three main areas we are interested in. There will be a number of moderators in attendance, so we can air our views direct to them. ( which is why I suggested at breakfast the following morning, rather than at the party)

[Not sure what dont read anything means: I was not on about a meeting to disscuss whether Forums would be created ,the thread was of a social nature for Farangs in the area]

macb

Welcum aboard:

Where abouts in Burriram

macb

Hi Lampshade et all

Although I've got another 6 months before I reside in Surin (& FC),please book me into the 'agree with the split camp' CHEERS ALL ! This site is the best!!! Regards from sunny Eastbourne :o

[[Not sure what dont read anything means: I was not on about a meeting to disscuss whether Forums would be created ,the thread was of a social nature for Farangs in the area]

macb

Sorry..........................maybe it's me that doesn't read anything. Just being sarky after the Satuk a/p comment. I shall expect you in on saturday then, so I can apologise in person.

TODAYS WEATHER UP-DATE HUAIRAT : TIME 1447 HRS

Well it started raining last night and has only just stopped, I have been to Khap Cheong today and it was raining all the way, and its still raining in the village.

macb

TODAYS WEATHER UP-DATE HUAIRAT : TIME 1447 HRS

Well it started raining last night and has only just stopped, I have been to Khap Cheong today and it was raining all the way, and its still raining in the village.

I might not have heard of Wang Chung but I have certainly heard of WET WET WET which might be more appropriate at the moment :o

Thanks for update

TBWG :D

One thing I forgot TB (can I call you TB for short, even though it is a fairly nasty condition, I don't mean it that way and TBWG is a bit of a mouthful)

When you go to Kap Cheong, ask them for more 'this is me, I live here' documents, so that you can get a Thai Driving Licence, if you don't already have one.

If you still have the old British paper licence, get the plastic European one as soon as.

I might not have heard of Wang Chung but I have certainly heard of WET WET WET which might be more appropriate at the moment

Indeed it is, it was raining when I left the house this morning, it was raining in Prakonchai when I got there and then it rained all day in Buriram while my car had it's first service.... got home, still raining.

But, it's a delicious 26 degrees in the house right now..... pad lom, not required :o

[

quote name='Thaddeus' date='2006-08-30 20:25:46' post='872411]

One thing I forgot TB (can I call you TB for short, even though it is a fairly nasty condition, I don't mean it that way and TBWG is a bit of a mouthful)

When you go to Kap Cheong, ask them for more 'this is me, I live here' documents, so that you can get a Thai Driving Licence, if you don't already have one.

If you still have the old British paper licence, get the plastic European one as soon as.

Hi Thaddeus

Thanks for the tip and yes I do have a EEU photo licence, I don't mind being called TB quite mild really considering some of the things I've been called.

Could be contagious everybody might start using it. good pun huh!! :o

Tall Bloke With Glasses :D

Welcum aboard:

Where abouts in Burriram

macb

I asked the wife for the names over the phone last night, not sure if I get these right, but....we purchased 7 rai @20 minutes outside Buriram City in Ke Muay or something like that. My wife also has a 1 rai lot in Ban la. :o

I fly to BKK 2 SEP and the wife and I will be in Buriram @ 5-7 SEP.

Tall Bloke With Glasses :D

And I was under the immpression mine was B eautiful F unny G uy

Hi Lampshades

Last time we met you said yours should be FGWG no comment on which one is more appropriate :o

TBWG :D

Welcum aboard:

Where abouts in Burriram

macb

I asked the wife for the names over the phone last night, not sure if I get these right, but....we purchased 7 rai @20 minutes outside Buriram City in Ke Muay or something like that. My wife also has a 1 rai lot in Ban la. :D

I fly to BKK 2 SEP and the wife and I will be in Buriram @ 5-7 SEP.

Given the limit of English phonetics when trying to type Thai...... I really hope that isn't pronounced as it could be. :o

Hello Mac

you may remember me i was at your house in July (Andy) took us to his house then round to yours where we opened a few beers which went down well.How much for land in Huairat?

Roger

:o

[Hello mate 'Binnsy' yes I do remember good session aye, where abouts in Huairat and how much land you want for building. Prices well they are all negotiable and it depends how quick people want to sell i.e. how much they owe someone else. From my experience there is always the THai price and the Farang price but I can put my feelers out mate for you. In 2004 I paid 110.000 bht for just a wee bit over 1 Rai]

macb