Macro extreme

MJP

and Raynox DCR250

try it on a fly/spider/wasp etc ..thumbsup.gif

Need to focus stack. No time.

only if you want full depth of subject in focus . . i'm seriously interested in seeing the (razer thin?) DOF with this gizmo stuck on the end of a lens. Go on, do it.

btw, i have the Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 DI VC USD Macro.

and Raynox DCR250

only if you want full depth of subject in focus . . i'm seriously interested in seeing the (razer thin?) DOF with this gizmo stuck on the end of a lens. Go on, do it.

£39 at Amazon right now, just do it.

£39 at Amazon right now, just do it.

high mag macro . . . so many options . . . £8 for a reverse ring then i can bung my 50 1.8 on the end of the Tammy, or £150+ for a set of ext' tubes to place before it. I'll wait to see more from your £39 Raynox (if there is more? hope so)

^GH, take my word for it. The DCR-250 just got discontinued. The quality is other worldly, like WOW!. You need a 43mm step ring as well. So, if you're using a 52mm filter you need a 52mm to 43mm step down ring.

Only thing is, it's extreme close focus. Like a few centimetres from the subject when using it on a macro lens.

I bought a couple of Marumi close-up filters just to experiment with while I decide what proper macro lens to buy. Image quality is OK if I can get it in focus, except there are some halos if you look close. The max focus distance is around 10cm or so.

Here's some corn (I guess its maize to most of you). Handheld from the a77ii and the Sony-Zeiss 135mm and Marumi DHG Achromat 330/+3 close up filter? (I think might be the 200/+5; really don't remember)

DSC00072-M.jpg

(original)

Some dots from the cigar box below the shot. Shot with the a77ii with the Sony 70-400 G II, Sony 2x teleconverter and same Marumi filter as above. I had a really jury-rigged tripod setup for this, so its out of focus, but that was the best I could get.

DSC00143-M.jpg

(original)

DSC00151-M.jpg

Edited by vaultdweller0013

This is really something I am interested in , I spent a good several hours today doing test shots with the equipment I have and I came up with some rather compelling information . I will try not to bore you all with a whole lot of mind-numbing information but I was shocked at the outcome !

I tested a 100mm Canon macro 2.8 shot at f11 throughout the test on a tripod with auto focus. The photos are in RAW format and I have not edited them all as yet.

The tests started as the lens un-adapted and with a series of lens filters from 1+ to 2+ and 4+

I then affixed a tube adapter and proceeded to attach the same as before , ie 1+ to 2+ and 4+

Prior to this I attached the 10+ lens filter , but the IQ was so bad that I left this out of the equation

I then added another tube adapter , so now I have 2 tube adapters a 13mm a 21mm and a 31 mm attached , the second tube adapter was not a contact adapter and I had to use manual focus to achieve a viewable image .

I attached the lens filters accordingly 1+ to 2+ and 4+ to check the outcome .

Throughout this process the aperture was set at 11 and the shutter set at 1/60 , interchanging tubes was done at the expense of DOF activation to maintain lens memory.

Sad to say that my " Model " departed on the change-over from the adapting of the lens filters on the second tube connections , but I did find a suitable counterpart . Accidents will happen .

After this Scientific analysis I decided to take a few shots with the 60mm MZuiko 2.8 on a micro 4/3 this would put this at 120mm focal length I believe.

The outcome was amazing to say the least , but this is not to say that the Canon lens is at fault , just the scenario and the conditions of the shoot .

Lighting was as optimal as I could get , and with a Macro ring flash , as I said before I have not processed all images , but ... I will leave this up to viewing.

2Q7A0110.jpg

Canon 100mm 2.8 + 2 times tubes extension + 7 times magnification

PC060061_edited-1.jpg

Olympus 60mm unaided .

This is not a scientific review , far be it , but if the Raynox attachment can get a better resolution and at a good price , well my money is on the table !

Critical for macro (as I'm finding out) is a macro slide rail. This can be a 2-way or 4-way rail. Prices range from £15 to the usual skies the limit nonsense.

rail-macro-XY.jpg

Without this, focusing is a nightmare. You need to achieve exact distances from the subject doing super macro work and an ordinary tripod head is not very useful in this regard.

• Like 1

Very interesting and also appealing, however even though I'd like one I'm scared of getting a macro lens as I think it would make me insane looking for stuff.

Nah. it's great fun. In fact it makes for some great wall arty.

You don't need a macro lens. Just a Raynox DCR-250 or MSN-202 with the requisite step rings, don't use their silly adapter. Macro slide rail is critical, as is off-camera flash or macro ring flash/LED light.