Macro extreme

MJP

Not all of them are compatible.

Heres an adapter that would be needed, from what I gather 100-200mm is ideal lens to use. I guess the rail/bellows needs to have some kind of gear on it for moving in microns. blink.png

Anyhow, referring back to the flickr link you posted theres some impressive macros using the Canon PowerShot G9 and raynox.

Edited by rhythmworx

This bloke's using all the same kit I have but with the Raynox MSN-505 for extreme macro. Pentax DSLR and Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51218267@N07/

9705167292_01e39f0c80_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51218267@N07/9705167292/sizes/c/

The Pentax K-3 with mirror lock up is a much better option than using the Sony a7r with its clunky shutter.

• Like 1

^^^ That's nice and sharp and close, any closer is just madness IMO.

Yup, I think this hits the spot.

He used a Pentax K-5IIs there, 16mp no AA-filter. I have one of these, naturally. But I shall deploy the K-3 with 24mp and no AA filter instead, what, what! Lovely soft shutter, no mirror slap.

I still love those Pentax DSLR's. They truly are a bargain. (K-3 with grip was on for $796US the other day!)

APS-C gives 1.5x zoom rather than crop factor if you think about it in those terms, so much better than full frame for macro work.

Edited by MJP

• 3 weeks later...

Nice MJP , but I figure I might get airborne this coming year , besides my Bank manager would have my nuts for nibbles if I were to go over that side of the fence atm.

Seriously considering this thing Goomps. I've been after an automated gigapanning head for a while and this thing is both small and light and does all manner including focus stacking.

Maybe end of 2015, see how we go.

Thinking aloud now. Why can't we have in-camera focus stacking? You set the foreground start point and take a pic then set the background finish point and take a pic and then press the shutter button once more and the camera does the rest.

Edited by MJP

Okay. It's by no means perfect, but it's my best ham fisted attempt so far.

• 148# exposures aligned and focus stacked in Photoshop CC;
  • Pentax K-3 with Pentax D-FA 100/2.8 Macro WR as the tube lens;
  • Raynox DCR-250 macro lens;
  • Mounted on a 4-way focusing rail on Induro CT-414 tripod with BHL-3 head;
  • JJC remote trigger (very good triggers and cheap too);
  • 48 LED macro ring flash set to continuous light with white flash filter. Again, this is a £29 ring flash and although it's no good for flash it's perfect for continuous lighting of subjects for shadowless macro.

16154893662_9d06ff4ed8_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/16154893662/

There are still many blurry bits. You really do need to be able to move the focusing rail by a few micrometres a time.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Nice MJP , but I figure I might get airborne this coming year , besides my Bank manager would have my nuts for nibbles if I were to go over that side of the fence atm.

Thinking aloud now. Why can't we have in-camera focus stacking? You set the foreground start point and take a pic then set the background finish point and take a pic and then press the shutter button once more and the camera does the rest.

The Lytro does this via software I believe.

Ugly looking thing though.

The Lytro does this via software I believe.

Ugly looking thing though.

It wouldn't be a stretch for any camera with AF to do it really. You can already get controllers to do this, but it would be nice (Sony!) if this could be introduced in the A9.

Present weapon of choice for macro . . .

15969802259_3482bbdbdb_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/15969802259/

I think the Pentax macro lens is the wrong lens to be using for a tube lens though because of the distance between the Raynox and the front element of the Pentax lens.

Going to try the Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 135/3.5 MC Sonnar for a tube lens sometime instead.