Farangs 'preaching' via their Thai partners in public...

mitsubishi

I encountered what you're talking about the other day, and it was most funny.

The guy, probably 65+, the girl, maybe 25 at a push. I saw them come into the coffee shop, her in tow, looking embarrassed but dutifully waddling along behind her provider - for the night or life, I don't know.

Then, when I went to queue up to pay the bill, having previously sat outside, I me his loud voice educating his lady on the economic differences between his hometown in the US and Bangkok. The queue took a while, and he was relentless.

To be fair to the said lady, even a date his own age and origin would have been bored senseless, not least because he didn't seem interested in her speaking back or having an opinion.

She just sat there, perplexed, probably wondering when the ordeal would be over.

• Like 1

never come across it at all, maybe you are just a magnet for sh*t kickers.

Maybe, I am quite a striking-looking farang so it's only natural the bottom-feeders want to try and show off. *Rolls eyes*

Or maybe I have my ears open more than most other people.

get a life and stop this BS

Yes, at once oh master of the guitar, whose music graces the hottest clubs in Bangkok, oh lord of the lifestyle, titan of trend setters forgive me for offending your garbled sensibilities!

I will bow down to your superior post that shakes the very walls of TV with it's majesty and glory. Just as soon as I feel like it and not one second sooner! ;)

• Like 1

I encountered what you're talking about the other day, and it was most funny.

The guy, probably 65+, the girl, maybe 25 at a push. I saw them come into the coffee shop, her in tow, looking embarrassed but dutifully waddling along behind her provider - for the night or life, I don't know.

Then, when I went to queue up to pay the bill, having previously sat outside, I me his loud voice educating his lady on the economic differences between his hometown in the US and Bangkok. The queue took a while, and he was relentless.

To be fair to the said lady, even a date his own age and origin would have been bored senseless, not least because he didn't seem interested in her speaking back or having an opinion.

She just sat there, perplexed, probably wondering when the ordeal would be over.

Yep, it's out there, people may state they haven't seen it, but, like ball-lightning, it's there nonetheless.

I was with a thai girl at a restaurant when this happened.

she whispered to me "why he speak so loud?"

Thats when you can put on your own loud voice...

"Dont worry,he is American,they like the sound of their own voice "

it usually confuses thai but they say "Oh, ok"

Not to say it does not happen but I have been here 35 years and never experienced what the OP has. The arrogant British sure have a bur up their butt when it comes to Americans and get offended rather easily! It's jealousy ...plain and simple. The British losers must hold the record for losing the most wars and territory. The British could not fight their way out of a wet paper bag these days. I find the English in the Khon Kaen area are exactly like what you are saying about the Americans. BTW, I'm neither British or American but a neutral Ca-nuckle head telling it like it is!!

• Like 2

may you're hanging around at the wrong places-never happened to me...

I wouldn't call cafes, restaurants and the skytrain the wrong places, but I guess you'd call them bad right?

There was this one time at a bar in Chiang Mai where a farang was trying the preaching angle directly to a few of us, but at least he did it directly (or rather tried to) and not 'hiding' behind his Thai missus.

Perhaps you ought to step out from your cotton wool house?

Perhaps you should try my approach to their preaching - GET THE <deleted> outta my face or I'm gonna crack you one. Works like a charm.

The last thing I want is someone pushing their religion on me. However, been here 20 years and I've never had what you're talking about happen to me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

get the gist of their procrastinations

...if you don't know the meaning of some big words, just don't use them, or you might give the impression that you are "poorly educated"

Hahaha I was thinking the same. He clearly doesn't understand the meaning of procrastinating. I'll inform him what it means.......later.

• Like 2

I don't even need to go out anymore, I just check in to Thai visa to see what the word on the street is.

Fekk that was funny.

Thanks for the laugh. Sadly most posting here will miss that.

RAOFLAO .

Careful there ND ... I need the School Principle in good health at my Graduation Ceremony on Monday in good health ... laugh.png

giphy.gif

If I understand the OP correctly though, this is not about religious preaching, he meant it like pontificating (which may also be what he was aiming at when he said procrastinating), is that what you are getting at mitsubishi?

Surely that it is some old foreigner speaking at (rather than with) a younger Thai is just par for the course....

As I understand it, it's a bit like a variation on the theme of a 'captive audience', so in a restaurant scenario the captive audience are the fellow diners who have to put up with it (or otherwise). Another good Thailand example might be on a visa run, where a couple of travellers are having some protracted conversation that everyone else has to listen to (or otherwise), but specifically where this topic is concerned, that conversation would most likely feature one of the talkers going on and on. A variation on the know-it-all, but a know-it-all who also likes to broadcast the fact.

It really has nothing to do with bargirls, language ability, Thais or anything related to the person being used in order to pontificate to the real audience which might be anyone within earshot.

That's how I understand mitsubishi's OP anyway, and frankly I think it's quite a common thing, but likely more common within expat circles.

Edited by Squeegee

I haven't seen it yet, personally.

But I don't frequent places as such you describe.

Where we live ... I'll go a couple of weeks at a time before I espy a Westerner.

... and we aren't that far out of Bangkok.

Please tell me you're not one of those expats who throws a hissy fit just because the fellow whitey you finally meet in Lotus don't immediately throws his arms around you and give you a frenchy!biggrin.png

I haven't seen it yet, personally.

But I don't frequent places as such you describe.

Where we live ... I'll go a couple of weeks at a time before I espy a Westerner.

... and we aren't that far out of Bangkok.

Please tell me you're not one of those expats who throws a hissy fit just because the fellow whitey you finally meet in Lotus don't immediately throws his arms around you and give you a frenchy!biggrin.png

No ... exactly the opposite.

My 'fellow whitey' is the same as any other Thai Person.

If I know them, I acknowledge them ... if I don't ... well then, I don't.

Probably the one exception is when, in Bangkok, the Fellow Whitey looks lost, I'll ask if they need help ... done that a few times.

I was with a thai girl at a restaurant when this happened.

she whispered to me "why he speak so loud?"

Thats when you can put on your own loud voice...

"Dont worry,he is American,they like the sound of their own voice "

it usually confuses thai but they say "Oh, ok"

Not to say it does not happen but I have been here 35 years and never experienced what the OP has. The arrogant British sure have a bur up their butt when it comes to Americans and get offended rather easily! It's jealousy ...plain and simple. The British losers must hold the record for losing the most wars and territory. The British could not fight their way out of a wet paper bag these days. I find the English in the Khon Kaen area are exactly like what you are saying about the Americans. BTW, I'm neither British or American but a neutral Ca-nuckle head telling it like it is!!

French Canadian?