Family of Brits murdered in Thailand say evidence convincing

Lite Beer

The parents probably don't even have a clue. They will have been shown evidence from RTP. It's not like RTP will have shown hem their version followed by CSI LA/other and asked them 'so whadya think?'.

They consulted with the English detectives. Do you think you know more then they do ?

23 year old Hannah and her friend David Miller were killed on the island of Koh Tao earlier this year. Two Burmese men have been charged with their murder. Hannah's family said tonight they have met with the police officers who traveled to Thailand to review the case. They ask for the details of the case not to be made public before the trial and ask for their privacy to be respected.

They Thaivisa detectives again know it better as professional police officers from the UK who have seen all the evidence. Do you really think those UK police officers would lie to them ?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for a lot of us to swallow that humble pie. People were crying out for the families to speak out and Now they have. Evidence they've seen from UK investigators looks strong against the Burmese lads. I thought they were scapegoats too but that quote from the statement is pretty compelling.

The parents probably don't even have a clue. They will have been shown evidence from RTP. It's not like RTP will have shown hem their version followed by CSI LA/other and asked them 'so whadya think?'.

They consulted with the English detectives. Do you think you know more then they do ?

23 year old Hannah and her friend David Miller were killed on the island of Koh Tao earlier this year. Two Burmese men have been charged with their murder. Hannah's family said tonight they have met with the police officers who traveled to Thailand to review the case. They ask for the details of the case not to be made public before the trial and ask for their privacy to be respected.

They Thaivisa detectives again know it better as professional police officers from the UK who have seen all the evidence. Do you really think those UK police officers would lie to them ?

Had the UK officers been on the scene within 24 hours I would say no. But they rocked up late in the day. For all we know they were probably fed the same stuff. In a world where banks and financial institutions have been found guilty of rigging interest rates do you really think it's not possible for police in a country known to be corrupt to not fudge a case? Anyway I'm not really bothered now. The families need closure so they can move on so if they are happy with this then so be it.

Question to those who do think the right guys have been caught. If you have a hot gf or wife would you be willing to go to Koh tao and spend the evening drinking in AC bar? Not a chance in hell I bet.

Read the articles. They report the family conferred with the British investigators. Not completely over yet but I can hear that fat bird singing in the distance. Time to man up.

Had the UK officers been on the scene within 24 hours I would say no. But they rocked up late in the day. For all we know they were probably fed the same stuff. In a world where banks and financial institutions have been found guilty of rigging interest rates do you really think it's not possible for police in a country known to be corrupt to not fudge a case? Anyway I'm not really bothered now. The families need closure so they can move on so if they are happy with this then so be it.

Question to those who do think the right guys have been caught. If you have a hot gf or wife would you be willing to go to Koh tao and spend the evening drinking in AC bar? Not a chance in hell I bet.

Must hurt that even the professionals don't stand with your opinion. If the professionals thought the evidence would have been fabricated they would have told the family.

As for your second question of course I would not have a problem taking her. Even IF its a killers den, do you know how many people go there and not get killed. Or are statistics also fabricated by a unknown hand.

I have always said I don't place much faith in the Thai police but if the Brits think there is a case then I agree with them and not some amateurs with no access to the evidence.

I knew personally, some people involved at the centre of some very well publicized cases in Thailand a few years ago that were also the subject of intense discussion on internet forums. There was so much happening behind the scenes and at a diplomatic level that was never reported. The end result was things were concluded earlier than anyone predicted. I asked an embassy official at the time about some of the speculation on the internet and was told most of it was way off the mark but they couldn't respond to it in the media without jeopardizing the case. The way the case was resolved proved the official correct. On another forum I still remember how two long time posters who seemed to be well versed on goings on in Thailand were endlessly commenting on one case. It all sounded fairly plausible but when you had some first hand knowledge it was clear they had little idea of the true situation. The information diplomats and police provide the family can be a lot more detailed than anything the best reporters can come up with so never take what you see reported on the internet as gospel.

The level of shoddy police work added to the seemingly endless list of inconsistencies will mean some people probably won't ever be able to accept this to be true. They will forget in time, until the next incident anyway.

If a uniform is all it takes to convince you then so be it.

Criminal cases need to be compelling and precise in their delivery if the intention is to jail someone. This case has been akin to something out of a low budget movie spoof.

I knew personally, some people involved at the centre of some very well publicized cases in Thailand a few years ago that were also the subject of intense discussion on internet forums. There was so much happening behind the scenes and at a diplomatic level that was never reported. The end result was things were concluded earlier than anyone predicted. I asked an embassy official at the time about some of the speculation on the internet and was told most of it was way off the mark but they couldn't respond to it in the media without jeopardizing the case. The way the case was resolved proved the official correct. On another forum I still remember how two long time posters who seemed to be well versed on goings on in Thailand were endlessly commenting on one case. It all sounded fairly plausible but when you had some first hand knowledge it was clear they had little idea of the true situation. The information diplomats and police provide the family can be a lot more detailed than anything the best reporters can come up with so never take what you see reported on the internet as gospel.

Fair point and you may well be right. It just seems bizarre given how open they have been since day 1 that there could possibly be anything they haven't already disclosed. Press conferences and statements on almost a daily basis discussing the most grotesque details or developments. I don't think police forces anywhere else would behave like that and would rather keep their cards close to their chest. When you consider that and the perception of the country in terms of corruption it doesn't really matter as the house always wins. I mean look at that copper killed by the Red Bull kid. Clear as day what happened but over there it seems anything is possible with money.

The level of shoddy police work added to the seemingly endless list of inconsistencies will mean some people probably won't ever be able to accept this to be true. They will forget in time, until the next incident anyway.

Criminal cases need to be compelling and precise in their delivery if the intention is to jail someone. This case has been akin to something out of a low budget movie spoof.

You should eat some humble pie. You never worked as a detective for a job.. you did not have access to all the evidence. You dont have years and years of experience like the Brits did. If they tell me its a set up I believe them. If you say something from your home without having access to all the evidence then I don't.

Has nothing to do with a uniform, just the difference between a professional with access to the evidence and someone who has only seen part of the evidence and no experience.

I learned a lot from my police friend (Dutch guy) how reporters almost never got the details straight and only confused the case more. This was in Holland a pretty good country all in all so I can only imagine how it goes here. People thinking that based on news they have all the evidence are laughable.

But I do agree the police here is not top notch that is why i put faith in the Brits (they send their finest) to discover if evidence has been tampered with or not. You obviously seem to think you know better as them better as the finest the UK has to offer.

Family of Brits murdered in Thailand say evidence convincing

Not saying that they said this or anything else

The point being that the evidence is convincing provided it is authentic and not fabricated although in saying that - I strongly believe there is an awful lot more to this case that has been excluded or covered up, independent verification of DNA would have dispelled any doubt, the circus at the beginning probably damaged any confidence people may have had in the outcome - conflicting press releases and just what seemed absolute stupidity and also the refusal of the local police to involve the national forensics team from BKK

That said it would be good if the courts here were open to the public and media but everything is done behind closed doors which again just leads to doubt

Thailand needs a huge dose of open and transparent

You should eat some humble pie. You never worked as a detective for a job.. you did not have access to all the evidence. You dont have years and years of experience like the Brits did. If they tell me its a set up I believe them. If you say something from your home without having access to all the evidence then I don't.

Has nothing to do with a uniform, just the difference between a professional with access to the evidence and someone who has only seen part of the evidence and no experience.

I learned a lot from my police friend (Dutch guy) how reporters almost never got the details straight and only confused the case more. This was in Holland a pretty good country all in all so I can only imagine how it goes here. People thinking that based on news they have all the evidence are laughable.

But I do agree the police here is not top notch that is why i put faith in the Brits (they send their finest) to discover if evidence has been tampered with or not. You obviously seem to think you know better as them better as the finest the UK has to offer.

With all due respect you have no idea what I do or what my background is. And newsflash mate the police here are human and are just as open to shoddy work and cover ups as anyone else. The difference is they are not as buffoon like as their Thai counterparts.

Over here there is a massive enquiry underway to investigate how multiple police forces have allowed young girls in social care to be abused and in some cases prostituted.

They have also been found to be complicit in the Hillsborough disaster cover up in which 96 football fans died at a football ground due to poor policing, systematic racism during the Steven Lawrence murder, not to mention a complete balls up case of mistaken identity which resulted in an innocent man having in his brains blown out at point blank range on a packed tube. There was also the trigger happy shooting of someone they thought was armed in which triggered the London riots. And if that's not sick enough for you try googling Jimmy Saville.

Fair point and you may well be right. It just seems bizarre given how open they have been since day 1 that there could possibly be anything they haven't already disclosed. Press conferences and statements on almost a daily basis discussing the most grotesque details or developments. I don't think police forces anywhere else would behave like that and would rather keep their cards close to their chest. When you consider that and the perception of the country in terms of corruption it doesn't really matter as the house always wins. I mean look at that copper killed by the Red Bull kid. Clear as day what happened but over there it seems anything is possible with money.

The way police in Thailand close to this case have given out so much random and contradicting information to the media has fueled the distrust about how this case has been investigated from the very start. There doesn't appear to be any working structure to ensure information is released in a timely and ordered manner as you might expect in the west. Maybe they will learn from this case but I wouldn't bet on it. When it comes to credibility, Thailand police are their own worst enemy.

With all due respect you have no idea what I do or what my background is. And newsflash mate the police here are human and are just as open to shoddy work and cover ups as anyone else. The difference is they are not as buffoon like as their Thai counterparts.

Over here there is a massive enquiry underway to investigate how multiple police forces have allowed young girls in social care to be abused and in some cases prostituted.

They have also been found to be complicit in the Hillsborough disaster cover up in which 96 football fans died at a football ground due to poor policing, systematic racism during the Steven Lawrence murder, not to mention a complete balls up case of mistaken identity which resulted in an innocent man having in his brains blown out at point blank range on a packed tube. There was also the trigger happy shooting of someone they thought was armed in which triggered the London riots. And if that's not sick enough for you try googling Jimmy Saville.

If you had experience you would have mentioned it you did not. So i am not off the mark.

Sure the police makes mistakes but in this case they send their best to a case that is in the spotlights. What do you think.

I think its a case of not wanting to eat humble pie.

I do agree that the Thai police are bad.. but the Brits have send their best.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is this normal procedure to provide information to families of victims before a trial so that they could almost condemn the accused before proven guilty or otherwise?

Not really.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK but that doesn't mean that it's applicable in very case.

If you had experience you would have mentioned it you did not. So i am not off the mark.

Sure the police makes mistakes but in this case they send their best to a case that is in the spotlights. What do you think.

Your taking punts as to my experience on the subject based on me not announcing it to all and sundry? That's not how it works.

And why do you keep referring to them as our best? I've given you plenty of example of how 'the best' police over here are no better than anywhere else.

Our best are probably GCHQ or MI6 and they have far more important things to worry about than another foreigner dying in shady circumstances in Thailand.

If there is humble pie to be eaten I will gladly do so. However in order for that to happen there needs to be complete transparency from the start which as the poster above alluded too was simply not there hence the suspicion.

There are 2 types of people in this world. Those who eat up the fodder for the masses spouted by the media and those in power and those who take a step back and question things based on instinct. Yes we don't have all the facts to hand but it's blatantly clear this case has been mishandled and would not hold up in court in any country with a shred of credibility. If you don't recognise that then I can't really say any more.

It seem that there must be more than DNA if what the parents have seen have satistied them.

To look at it from the other way...

-it would be easy to retract the guilty plea if they thought support was on their side.

- easy to play dumb in re-enactment if guilty..you would certainly not tell them how you did it if you want to save ur neck

-was a bit strange how they claimed every torture method in the book,every day a different story

police tearing limbs off

drowning

plastic bag over head

doust in petrol and burnt ect ect

and even others i forgot

it seemed every story quoted a different way of torture.

would be a terrible scenario if they did do it and got off ..having played everyone like a cheap banjo

Your taking punts as to my experience on the subject based on me not announcing it to all and sundry? That's not how it works.

And why do you keep referring to them as our best? I've given you plenty of example of how 'the best' police over here are no better than anywhere else.

Our best are probably GCHQ or MI6 and they have far more important things to worry about than another foreigner dying in shady circumstances in Thailand.

If there is humble pie to be eaten I will gladly do so. However in order for that to happen there needs to be complete transparency from the start which as the poster above alluded too was simply not there hence the suspicion.

There are 2 types of people in this world. Those who eat up the fodder for the masses spouted by the media and those in power and those who take a step back and question things based on instinct. Yes we don't have all the facts to hand but it's blatantly clear this case has been mishandled and would not hold up in court in any country with a shred of credibility. If you don't recognise that then I can't really say any more.

Again denying stuff so you dont have the experience else you would have backed it up.

They would not have sent rank amateurs to a high profile case. They have training experience and access to the evidence. You have none of that you have your brain (probably good) but not the training nor access to all the evidence.

That the police fouls up that is obvious I foul up at times too. Everyone does its called being human. However this was a team of police officers on a high profile case. If they thought it was a sham they would have told the family.

There are more then 2 type of people.. i know some wearing tin foil hats too. I question things a lot but only if I have access to the details I have seen it often how people make assumptions without all the evidence it goes wrong.

That the Thai police mishandled the case is clear no need to discuss it, but obvious the Brits that have seen the evidence that in the end they caught the suspects. But the Thais really are bad at keeping things silent, its quite normal to have multiple suspects and investigate leads but they acted like leads were the culprits all the time. It was wrong it was stupid. That does not mean that they did not catch the right guys in the end.

The experienced Brit police officers that reviewed the case at least thought so. If the report comes out and it states otherwise I will eat humble pie.

The mark of a man is not being afraid to admit he is wrong.

The statement from Hannah's family is quite diplomatic and neutral, the UK police has not made public its report over the case yet and so far both families of the victims have not decided to become co-plaintiffs in the trial. These are the facts we know so far, in 2 days the trial will start and the final sentence is not written yet.

Again denying stuff so you dont have the experience else you would have backed it up.

They would not have sent rank amateurs to a high profile case. They have training experience and access to the evidence. You have none of that you have your brain (probably good) but not the training nor access to all the evidence.

That the police fouls up that is obvious I foul up at times too. Everyone does its called being human. However this was a team of police officers on a high profile case. If they thought it was a sham they would have told the family.

There are more then 2 type of people.. i know some wearing tin foil hats too. I question things a lot but only if I have access to the details I have seen it often how people make assumptions without all the evidence it goes wrong.

That the Thai police mishandled the case is clear no need to discuss it, but obvious the Brits that have seen the evidence that in the end they caught the suspects. But the Thais really are bad at keeping things silent, its quite normal to have multiple suspects and investigate leads but they acted like leads were the culprits all the time. It was wrong it was stupid. That does not mean that they did not catch the right guys in the end.

The experienced Brit police officers that reviewed the case at least thought so. If the report comes out and it states otherwise I will eat humble pie.

Knock the steds on the head kidder!!crazy.gif

I guarantee you I have more experience than you and probably a few on here. Now of course I'm not going to actually divulge any tangible info on that as having anonymity is important.

You must realise that by the time our chaps got out there the Burmese lads had already been 'given up' and it was even made clear that the they could not interfere.

You also need to realise that diplomatic ties between nations transcend most things unless they involve high profile people so even if they had found something which made them frown they were not about to potentially ruin ties with a country over the deaths of 2 nobody tourists. It simply does not happen. This is not Colombo or the land of Zod where truth and justice reign supreme.

Diplomatic ties and politics underpin most things and it would take a seriously major incident for anyone here to speak out against it.

Time for a lot of us to swallow that humble pie. People were crying out for the families to speak out and Now they have. Evidence they've seen from UK investigators looks strong against the Burmese lads. I thought they were scapegoats too but that quote from the statement is pretty compelling.

Stupid post. The OP states nothing of any consequence other than the usual obfuscation worthy of the attention of those with just about enough intelligence to disseminate the usual skewed 'journalism' written by a tabloid. As for 'humble pie' - speak for yourself. Those Burmese midgets absolutely did not rape and murder two people twice their size with a bloody hoe.

That's why this country is in the mess it is now and will stay that way whilst the sheep are eating that which they are fed. Same as it ever was.

Silly comments to make before a trial but if the family and British police are happy with the investigation then it is probably time for the conspiracy theorists to let this one go.

Let's not forget that there are plenty of scummy Burmese as well as scummy Thais on these islands.

The last thing the conspiracy theorists wanted to hear was that the family accepted the findings of the investigation.

The conspiracy gang will now turn their attention to attacking AFP, itv News, or any other news source that releases anything they don't want to hear.

Shameful that they use the deaths of two innocent young people as a platform to pursue their hobby of trolling websites with their conspiracy theories.

So far only AFP among the wire services has covered this story, despite the statements being released thru the Brit FO. The story originates in London, yet the dateline we have been given here on TV is Bangkok. Why? Otherwise the story on TV is as presented by AFP (sorry, there is no url).

Those criticising the doubters should realise that the cause of cynicism is very powerful in Thailand in general and in this case in particular. Even with these statements it's not difficult to understand why the cynicism remains strong. About all anyone can do now is to watch the trial (presuming the two plead not guilty) and do what we are all fully entitled to do - dig deep into the evidence and question it when we think the court has not done so properly. And when it's over, give the police hell for the way they have handled this case.

Silly comments to make before a trial but if the family and British police are happy with the investigation then it is probably time for the conspiracy theorists to let this one go.

Let's not forget that there are plenty of scummy Burmese as well as scummy Thais on these islands.

As well as plenty of scummy farang tourists...

Archived