Public Health Ministry on alert for chickenpox spread

Lite Beer

Public Health Ministry on alert for chickenpox spread

BANGKOK, 7 Dec 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has stepped up surveillance measures against chickenpox, which has reportedly intensified during winter.

According to the Ministry of Public Health, chickenpox has now sickened nearly 80,000 people or 244 daily and caused one death. The number of patients this year has risen by 37 percent compared to the same period last year. People needing extra surveillance are children aged under one and those with underlying or chronic diseases, such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, and diabetes, since these groups of people are likely to suffer more severe symptoms than ordinary people. The number of chicken pox patients aged under one this year has reportedly surpassed 2,500, a jump from last year’s record of 1,712.

Chickenpox is a highly contagious disease caused by primary infection with varicella-zoster virus. The disease causes fever, itchy rashes and red spots or blisters all over the body. Chickenpox can be spread by biological fluid, physical contact, and use of common clothes, towels, or bed sheets. A person with chickenpox can pass on the virus two to three days before the rashes appear.

There is no actual cure of chickenpox. The best way to handle the disease is to ease the symptoms and boost the immune system with proper medication and hygiene.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-07 footer_n.gif

Shouldn't adults be immune to this from vaccination or childhood infection?

Children who have had it should be immune, however there are many like myself who didn't get it as a child (I was the only one out of 4 who didn't, and I don't know why). I didn't think there was a vaccine, but apprently there is. Guess I should get one.

Edited by RtotheC

I'm a senior and had chicken pox when I was a kid yet 8 years ago I developed shingles around my waist which, the quack told me is caused by the same virus. Fortunately there was no pain which the quack said was unusual but it itched like hell when the blisters started to dry.

Adults are definitely not immune to it. My wife has just spent a week in Bkk Hospital Hua Hin with it and as an adult it much worst than having the virus as a child. She had a temperature of 40 for a day or two and it was not nice. I thought I had it as a kid and when I asked my 84 year Mum to assure me I had it, she said....Hmmm I think you had it. Or was it your brother. Guess I will find out. Cheers

• Like 1

The varicella-zoster virus which causes Chicken Pox (and Shingles) is a once only virus, meaning one you have had it your immune from the Chicken Pox primary form. The virus though continues to remain in the nervous system prefering the (usually upper) spinal column. For about <10% people who have had it can experience "Shingles" medically called "Herpes Zoster" a condition where the virus migrates along the nerves from the spinal column (usually across the chest region) causing nerve pain (not nice) and local pox adjancent to the nerve(s) to which it is spreading. There is a vaccine BUT there is some questions still at this late date (I think it was introduced in the mid 70's) on how effective it is and if it needs to be renewed every 10 years or so. For children as the primary form can kill thats good But how long that immunity lasts......... from the vaccine. People who have not had the primary form should get vaccinated (the vaccine is a dead virus type) if they are likly to come in contact with the live form (ie around un-vaccinted children).

Edited by trihent

Adults are definitely not immune to it. My wife has just spent a week in Bkk Hospital Hua Hin with it and as an adult it much worst than having the virus as a child. She had a temperature of 40 for a day or two and it was not nice. I thought I had it as a kid and when I asked my 84 year Mum to assure me I had it, she said....Hmmm I think you had it. Or was it your brother. Guess I will find out. Cheers

I think it was your brother that really had it...555. I believe your mum. You need to get ready for it. Just joking, bro.tongue.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

Haven't heard of Chinkenpox for years thought it was wiped out.

in our barest dreams. How could it, when it's cure was never discovered. Only by scrambling on combination of immune system boost and feverish reduction that it eventually starts disappearing. What about malaria? The cause is known and be wiped out first.