Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

webfact

Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Reports are emerging that the police in Bangkok have been harassing tourists on what is claimed to be a crackdown on illegal drug use.

Visitors and tourists have reported being regularly stopped, searched, interrogated and asked to provide urine samples that if found to test positive for drugs can lead to lengthy fines and prison sentences. Apparently these tests have a 10% margin of accuracy leading to fears that many drug tests have returned back positive when those tested have not taken any drugs.

Random tests in the country are not unusual however in tourist areas it seems the random tests are in the up. Visitor Reese Walker told the Bangkok post in November that she and her fiancé were stopped twice by the police in only two days. The report says that they were searched, interrogated and required to provide samples of urine. According to her report they were doing nothing out of the ordinary when the tests were ordered. In her letter to the editor she said “This is our first and last visit to Thailand, the harassment of tourists is unacceptable, we don’t be recommending other people to visit Thailand based on our two frightening incidents that we believe to be racial profiling.

Critics of the police say that these activities are not intended to reduce crime, but are a means to elicit bribe money from unsuspecting and often terrified tourists. Since the harassment is primarily a means of extortion, even those who are not in possession of drugs and have not tested positive for illegal drug use are in danger. Incriminating evidence can be planted and urine samples can test as positive due to the use of a contaminated container, for example.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-12-08

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard someone say they thought insisting on giving the sample at the station would slow them down- not worth the trouble for them.

I'm not paying a damned fine to this corrupt system
I'd rather spend my night in jail.
But all things being equal, I'd prefer not to.

What's the best way to handle this?

I heard someone say they thought insisting on giving the sample at the station would slow them down- not worth the trouble for them.

You might do well to reflect that, while standing up for your 'rights' may still work in some countries, in Thailand it is likely to have the opposite to the desired effect. Courtesy, patience, persistence and a senior general's calling card, if possible, will get you further than stamping your foot.

Send it around the world. Till it goes viral! Then maybe T.A.T. will wake up.

At the top of this page is a place you can click on stars to rate the topic. The more stars the topic gets, the higher up this topic is in Google search results. A small thing, but along the lines of what you are talking about. thumbsup.gif

Keep a modicum of personal grooming about you, don't act like you own the place, be respectful, and the likelihood of this happening to you is greatly diminished, no doubt. Sure someone will counter me but I won't say any more. No need to. Rating @ 5 stars.

Seems to be picking up.

Need to clarify the geography. Is it happening only in Thonglor jurisdiction? Or elsewhere also.

Agree that the way to get this dealt with is to promote on social media and try to get some major news outlets (already was mentioned in passing in Wall Street Journal) to run it. Thai state hates bad publicity

Keep a modicum of personal grooming about you, don't act like you own the place, be respectful, and the likelihood of this happening to you is greatly diminished, no doubt. Sure someone will counter me but I won't say any more. No need to. Rating @ 5 stars.

Sorry to be that guy to counter... ;) ... but personal dress doesn't really come into it. I've been stopped wearing a suit, looking smart. And my personal grooming is influenced by a lifetime subscription to Esquire magazine- hell, I get my haircut every two weeks sadly- so I can assure you I look goddamn lovely. I've seen people stopped of all ages and dress sense. My friend on motor-taxi got followed back to his apartment at 10am on his way back from yoga. Sadly for the police who grabbed him he's straight edge and tee total.

Behaviour doesn't really come into it in my experience, unless "walking alone down the street like a normal human being" or "sitting in a taxi" is seen as disrespectful behaviour.

It's a fallacy that somehow people are bringing these stop and searches upon themselves. The one thing in common is that police are targeting foreigners. And it's definitely on the rise.

@gary- Thonglor and the Asoke intersection are the main places it seems.

"...urine samples can test as positive due to the use of a contaminated container, for example." wai2.gifwai.gif

Would not surprise me whatsoever...

The other problem is that tourists arriving from overseas may not have gone "dry" before arriving and they are arrested for urine content and not on actually taking drugs while in Thailand.

The bottom line is that is a daily occurrence, at Soi 22 they hide in the dark and jump on "suspected" falangs, the going rate is 20 to 30Kthb for thais and 50k thb for falangs to skip the test. Amazing Thailand, land where the police are notorious scammers.

Act deaf and use sign language........seriously though.....the embassies should know about this racket and make some noises.

Tell it to the world, and help that the number of tourist drops down to zero. Why? Because it is!a kind of discrimination,and reflect the real spirit of Thailand against foreigners.

What Thailand really needs it a real lesson, which would cost the thai economy at least a couple of billion $, and £.

I hope the tourist start to spreat the word.

The bottom line is that is a daily occurrence, at Soi 22 they hide in the dark and jump on "suspected" falangs, the going rate is 20 to 30Kthb for thais and 50k thb for falangs to skip the test. Amazing Thailand, land where the police are notorious scammers.

Where abouts on Soi 22? It's somewhere I pass down a lot but I've never witnessed it- I'm not doubting you at all (in fact a couple I know who were coming to stay in Bangkok usually stay on soi 22 but the (Western) manager of the hotel actually advised them to stay somewhere else this holiday because of the all the police stops nearby.) - just interested to know. I take it it's at the Sukhumvit end..?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you do show positive to a urine test, insist, and I mean insist in the most positive way that you can, that you have a blood test taken as soon as possible.

If it means stamping your feet, shouting, screaming, etc, then do it. Someone will video it or at least you will get attention.

Always carry the tourist police number with you (this should be a compulsory number to be given to tourists anyway) and make the call. Even if you do not get any results, your phone will record it for the next step which is lawyer up!

All the above is assuming you don't have anything floating around your system...................wink.png

End of the day, don't be scared of them. If you are innocent, then it is your right, regardless of what others might say, to prove that innocence within the bounds of the law. Don't let the horror stories that you have heard cloud your judgment, for sure they happen but for every bad experience there will be more positive ones.

How naive can you get????

In a country notorious for police corruption and criminality, where human rights are non existent and prison sentences the longest since the Man in the Iron Mask even the best dressed man is likely to be alarmed at this type of behaviour. I doubt it will be reported widely enough to make any real impact on tourism but all credit to Thaivisa to keep banging on about it.

Send it around the world. Till it goes viral! Then maybe T.A.T. will wake up.

At the top of this page is a place you can click on stars to rate the topic. The more stars the topic gets, the higher up this topic is in Google search results. A small thing, but along the lines of what you are talking about. thumbsup.gif

Thanks at least I've learnt soethingwai.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Act deaf and use sign language........seriously though.....the embassies should know about this racket and make some noises.

coffee1.gif oh please ... despite the widespread knowledge that Thailand is merely a place to be scammed people still flock here. This and the continuation of these scams will continue when people finally show their disgust with their feet.

Personally I don't see the allure to Thailand any more ... it is quite frankly a vile place.

Archived