Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

webfact

Not that I'm worried about testing positive, but this is enough to make me want to cancel my upcoming trip to Bangkok. Just not worth the hassle.

But that's just it. Anytime you're forced to take a urine test, it's 1 in 10 that you'll be popped on a 'false positive'. So now going to BKK is like Russian Roulette if you get stopped. Not acceptable odds imho. But then again, Asoke, Soi 22, and Khow San Road aren't my stomping grounds when I'm in BKK. I don't hang out in the tourist areas. But still: disturbing.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Not that I'm worried about testing positive, but this is enough to make me want to cancel my upcoming trip to Bangkok. Just not worth the hassle.

But that's just it. Anytime you're forced to take a urine test, it's 1 in 10 that you'll be popped on a 'false positive'. So now going to BKK is like Russian Roulette if you get stopped. Not acceptable odd imho.

Is there no properly secured second test at the Station , surely they cant nick and convict you on an uncontrolled street test

I heard someone say they thought insisting on giving the sample at the station would slow them down- not worth the trouble for them.

I'm not paying a damned fine to this corrupt system

I'd rather spend my night in jail.

But all things being equal, I'd prefer not to.

What's the best way to handle this?

Simply refuse to give the sample what can they do since you have done nothing wrong that is a huge human rights violation.

I think these stories are appalling. I read another similiar tale yesterday. A tourist on his 2 week trip to Thailand. Second day in the mid- afternoon.

I don't know Bangkok very well, but tell me are Thonglor and Asoke 'red light districts'?

The whole country is a red light district :) Seriously.

"...urine samples can test as positive due to the use of a contaminated container, for example." wai2.gifwai.gif

Would not surprise me whatsoever...

The other problem is that tourists arriving from overseas may not have gone "dry" before arriving and they are arrested for urine content and not on actually taking drugs while in Thailand.

Yeah, fly in from Washington State and Colorado where smoking pot is perfectly legal. Next thing you know you're sitting in a Thai jail for popping on THC. That would thoroughly suck, especially for tourists who are doing nothing illegal in their own counties. Yeah, this issue definitely needs world-wide exposure. Agreed. Clicked 5 Stars.

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

"...urine samples can test as positive due to the use of a contaminated container, for example." wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> wai.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

The other problem is that tourists arriving from overseas may not have gone "dry" before arriving and they are arrested for urine content and not on actually taking drugs while in Thailand.

Yeah, fly in from Washington State and Colorado where smoking pot is perfectly legal. Next thing you know you're sitting in a Thai jail for popping on THC. That would thoroughly suck, especially for tourists who are doing nothing illegal in their own counties. Yeah, this issue definitely needs world-wide exposure.

I think its mainly for Meth/Yeh Ba. If they are testing for weed then that hangs around in you for weeks. I dont think the instant ones on the street can pick it up, might be wrong but I thought that had to be lab test

Send it around the world. Till it goes viral! Then maybe T.A.T. will wake up.

At the top of this page is a place you can click on stars to rate the topic. The more stars the topic gets, the higher up this topic is in Google search results. A small thing, but along the lines of what you are talking about. thumbsup.gif

Thanks! I did not know, my vote is in! wai.gif

Thai cigarette butt police changing tactics?

Except those are not police but BMA inspectors (thetsakij) who have zero authority in stopping you for drug testing.

There was a live update yesterday of the "thetsakit - entrapment" officers at work near Soi 15, thanks to an intrepid tourist blogger.

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2014/12/no-smoking-warning-for-tourists-in-bangkok/

"...urine samples can test as positive due to the use of a contaminated container, for example." wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> wai.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

Yeah, fly in from Washington State and Colorado where smoking pot is perfectly legal. Next thing you know you're sitting in a Thai jail for popping on THC. That would thoroughly suck, especially for tourists who are doing nothing illegal in their own counties. Yeah, this issue definitely needs world-wide exposure.

I think its mainly for Meth/Yeh Ba. If they are testing for weed then that hangs around in you for weeks. I dont think the instant ones on the street can pick it up, might be wrong but I thought that had to be lab test

You have a point. Does anyone know what the BIB 'street tests' are testing for? At least I can give my friends back home a 'heads up' before they travel here.

And all this after 'The Italian Affair'where the two respectable middle aged professional Italian engineers on their first day where set up and accused of ATM card skimming and held hostage by four police(two still on the run)and held hostage and blackmailed!Wouldn't you think they would have tidyed the place up around there after that...mean while the hookers and the Africans hang around outside the 5* Sofitel on Sukhumvit on a night like vermin!What a bloody joke this is becoming..but sadly no one is laughing!I wonder why?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Send it around the world. Till it goes viral! Then maybe T.A.T. will wake up.

At the top of this page is a place you can click on stars to rate the topic. The more stars the topic gets, the higher up this topic is in Google search results. A small thing, but along the lines of what you are talking about. alt=thumbsup.gif>

good one, hadn't noticed that before... 5/5

The bottom line is that is a daily occurrence, at Soi 22 they hide in the dark and jump on "suspected" falangs, the going rate is 20 to 30Kthb for thais and 50k thb for falangs to skip the test. Amazing Thailand, land where the police are notorious scammers.

They're well hidden then, I have a place there and I've never seen them let alone be 'jumped on' !

For every thread reporting this (which I have seen happen once) there are 2 more threads complaining about the drug use in Bangkok !!

Any excuse to moan really isn't it.

No it isn't just any excuse to moan, and people rarely post on here about others peoples' drug taking unless it's a friend they want to try and help.

They usually (at 11.30 pm at least) hang around outside the filling station on Sukhumvit, just east of Asoke, so they can march people to the filling station toilet if they get embarrassed about peeing in the street.

Try going out one night; you will see them.

Mr. Prime Minister. I am sure that by now you are well aware of these reports that have been occurring within the capital of Thailand. Don't you really think that as the prime minister of Thailand who continues to state that corruption must be eradicated that you actually step in and do something about this very dangerous situation.

I work nearby Asok and walk almost every day to Terminal 21 to have lunch. I have seen 2-5 polices every time I pass their spot. They usually stand around Soi 15 and 17. Today when I passed by their spot, they had "Indian looking" male group under some kind of interrogation. I have my visa, work permit and haven't been taking any illegal drugs so I'm not worried if they stop me some day. Nevertheless, I don't need any extra bs if they stop me some day but I won't stop having my lunches at Terminal 21 because of them.

You have a point. Does anyone know what the BIB 'street tests' are testing for? At least I can give my friends back home a 'heads up' before they travel here.

I found at least one person who mentioned his experience on reddit (of course unverified) but the test covers pot according to the police testing in that area. That one can be in your urine for up to 3 months in worst case scenarios - so even a non-sensitive test would likely be able to catch it for weeks.

Somebody can speak Thai? (I can't, only been here three years tongue.png ) Call Prayuths 1111 hot line number and ask them if they like bad police give Thailand a bad reputation and advice others to stay away from Thailand. I don't know if this guy don't like foreigners but he seems to like our money

Tourists should be able to understandbthat junkies are not welcome in Thailand. They should be able to figure out before they cross the border. Given that, they should be able to get clean in their home countries. If they prefer a trip on meth to a trip to Thailand, then it's up to them. Is that so difficult to understand?

Weed will show up in a urine test for about four days; in hair for months. THC binds to body fat so is slow to clear.

I once did an experiment using a test bought through Amazon. The subject smoked on Saturday night and it was the following Thursday before a urine sample showed clear.

So yes it could be a problem for incoming travellers who have smoked in a place where it's legal.

Good headline. It most definitely is a scam. If their excuse about "drug use" (which is basically a wildcard for anytime they want to harass, extort or otherwise bother) was valid, they might hang around the Thai university areas, technical colleges...tons of other places. But no, their feeding ground is right on the main drag for tourists who're likely to have some coin. What a coincidence! Soft targets that will gladly give up their cash to avoid further problems. Just when the New Year's kitty is looking a bit light too. Brilliant.

What surprises me (it shouldn't but somehow it does) is the sheer shamelessness of the scamming. Just straight up, bold as brass, hand in the pocket scammery.

Put it all online.... a barrage of negative publicity with economic consequences. A plate of fresh som num na.

Funny, I remember a guy telling me years ago, that Thailand needed to be reminded on a regular basis about the decent way to behave. He said, "when things are going well, they start to get a bit cocky...like they don't need whitey anymore. So a good kick in the pants is the only thing that'll deflate that ego."....so I see.

Such a shame, there are some lovely Thai people, but there are more than a few "Kevin Hunt"s too...

Weed will show up in a urine test for about four days; in hair for months. THC binds to body fat so is slow to clear.

I once did an experiment using a test bought through Amazon. The subject smoked on Saturday night and it was the following Thursday before a urine sample showed clear.

So yes it could be a problem for incoming travellers who have smoked in a place where it's legal.

Thats an instant reading or withing minutes for weed ?

Does anyone know exactly what they piss test for? I'm sure ya ba is one but the rest are just guesses.

I was given morphine in the hospital after an accident and given narcotics upon discharge, I have the bag with my name, hospital, doctor's name on it but of course no prescription since I handed it in at their pharmacy. I'm sure I'd test positive for opiates. That's only an issue for a few more days as opiate metabolites only stick around a few days.

I also live in Amsterdam part time and have a house in California, both places I have a legal prescription for medical marijuana for a condition I get get relief from that other pharmaceuticals aren't effective for and I'll be damned if I'll go without it in the two places where it's legal just on the off chance that;

I'll be pulled aside for some bullshit random testing in Bangkok, and that they're even testing for that in the first place.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on what they test for, or a source for accurate information?

Archived