Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

webfact

I don't think the point is that it's happening because stop and search and drug testing on the street is obviously happening. I think the point is, is it

happening more than it ever used to. Some people say yes and others say no. Being asked to show I.D. and check the contents of pockets is fine with me but to be hassled time and again is not good and also street side drug testing is not something that I want to take part in. I don't speak Thai as I'm only a visitor and I'm not used to dealing with dishonest police if I were to come across one.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the point is that it's happening because stop and search and drug testing on the street is obviously happening. I think the point is, is it

happening more than it ever used to. Some people say yes and others say no. Being asked to show I.D. and check the contents of pockets is fine with me but to be hassled time and again is not good and also street side drug testing is not something that I want to take part in. I don't speak Thai as I'm only a visitor and I'm not used to dealing with dishonest police if I were to come across one.

It's quite obvious, by the amount of posts, EVEN from people that never even heard of TVF,,, (I'm relating to several news reports),, that it IS on the increase,,,, Has this been happening for years?... the stop/searches?,,,,, Yes,,,, prior to now,,, has it ever been reported of people in suit and tie, or 70ish year old couples being stopped, searched, asked to pee in a bottle in broad daylight?,,,,, NOT that I've ever heard/seen before,,,, so again, I'd say,,, YA,,, it's happening more frequently,,,

It's quite obvious, by the amount of posts, EVEN from people that never even heard of TVF,,, (I'm relating to several news reports),, that it IS on the increase,,,, Has this been happening for years?... the stop/searches?,,,,, Yes,,,, prior to now,,, has it ever been reported of people in suit and tie, or 70ish year old couples being stopped, searched, asked to pee in a bottle in broad daylight?,,,,, NOT that I've ever heard/seen before,,,, so again, I'd say,,, YA,,, it's happening more frequently,,,

Certainly is being reported more on here. I haven't seen anything about it in the UK press that it's become a problem to UK tourists though.

I'm 90% cancelling. I never carry drugs but the chances they might be in my system mean I would never risk a piss test that could lead to a Thai jail. At 60 years old it could kill me. I have been responsible for nearly a dozen people cancelling in the last few weeks. I directed them to this site and advised them to watch Midnight Express also. They are young and just take drugs for granted. They don't want their careers ruined by bent cops using discredited laws. What would you do if you were young?

Of course you have.

I guess compared to you I am young. What I'm doing is not worrying about it.

When I say cancelled I do not mean they have cancelled their already bought ticket as I have done. They have changed their plans to visit Thailand this Christmas and new

year and have no plans to visit Thailand which had been on their travel list but is no longer.

• 8 months later...

Simple solution. Stay away from Thailand. Same as a traffic accident is always your fault as "it couldn't have happened if you weren't here." They can't set you up and extort money from you on spurious charges if you aren't here.

Take your tourist pennies somewhere else. problem solved.

If you cancel your holiday just because of this you're actually supporting the terrorists . You can die anytime of the day , chances are not even 0.0001% that you will end up dead in a terrorist attack. Your odds are much better getting killled crossing the roads in Bangkok.

Not that I'm worried about testing positive, but this is enough to make me want to cancel my upcoming trip to Bangkok. Just not worth the hassle.

Yep. I don't fly 1/2 way around the world and spend bucks to be hassled. Now a few scams I expect here and there and now and then. That happens in the good old US of A also. But this type of thing is why I never returned to Tijuana. One visit was fine to check things out. But the odds of being harassed, scammed, threatened with jail are very real and I know two people personally that were threatened at gunpoint and put in the police car. He had to pay his way out. Sad if my favorite place called Thailand is getting this bad.

It's not getting "this bad". This thread has been dragged up by Darksidedog 8 months after the last post and many months since the Thonglor police were stopped operating the alleged scam. It doesn't happen now and hasn't done for a long time.

With comments such as..."Same as a traffic accident is always your fault as "it couldn't have happened if you weren't here." They can't set you up and extort money from you on spurious charges if you aren't here.

Take your tourist pennies somewhere else. problem solved."..he's giving a very clear confirmation that he is a rumour-monger who does not know his arse from his elbow.

It's not getting "this bad". This thread has been dragged up by Darksidedog 8 months after the last post and many months since the Thonglor police were stopped operating the alleged scam. It doesn't happen now and hasn't done for a long time.

With comments such as..."Same as a traffic accident is always your fault as "it couldn't have happened if you weren't here." They can't set you up and extort money from you on spurious charges if you aren't here.

Take your tourist pennies somewhere else. problem solved."..he's giving a very clear confirmation that he is a rumour-monger who does not know his arse from his elbow.

I have lived here nine years. I speak, read and write Thai. I work for a lawyer. I visit Nong Plalai several times a week, I visit Klong Prem in Bangkok, (The Hilton.), once a week.

Actually i do know what I am talking about.

I have lived here nine years. I speak, read and write Thai. I work for a lawyer. I visit Nong Plalai several times a week, I visit Klong Prem in Bangkok, (The Hilton.), once a week.

Good for you, I've been a prison visitor too, and been here for 21 years, so what?

By quoting rubbish about traffic accident procedure all you have done is diminish any credibility that you think your literate ability gives you and confirms that when it comes to traffic incidents you actually don't know what you are talking about because you are wrong. Ask the lawyer that you work for, he'll be able to put you right (as long as he knows more about the law than you, of course).

Mr. I "..." ,

The fact is that you're a thread necromancer who posted in a thread that was last posted in 2014!!!

Archived