Prayut rejects proposal to ban alcohol sale during New Year holidays

webfact

How about enforcing driving laws, why don't they increase penalties over the period for speeding and drink driving, I don't even care if it goes straight in to the BIB's pockets. Something needs to be done about the road toll!

How about banning driving instead of banning drinking !

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note, why not legalise cannabis? Would bring back in the tourists en masse and would show that Thailand, despite it's many many political and judicial flaws, is willing to take the lead on something positive and progressive. Look around the world General! Totally legal in Colorado, legal for medicinal use in nearly 20 states of the US and legal from seed to spliff in Uruguay. Imagine the potential for Thailand!!!!!!

The disrespecful disdain for all things thai repeatedly been posted on this forum and thread is a disgrace.

If things are so bad and thailand so irredeemable, stop being hypocrites and return to the god forsaken homelands you emanate from and which are clearly unimpeachable in all aspects of life and society.

you all make me vomit!

What ARE you on about.............?.........rolleyes.gif

Finally some sense!

Not finally.

The man has always been sensible.

It's other people that they never listen to what he says but just interpret in a way that suits them.

Really? The man has always been sensible? Petting one journalists head like a pet dog, berating another for having the temerity to ask a question, firing the anchor of a news programme because he didn't like her comments, telling girls they're only safe in a bikini if they're ugly, paying a bonus to the corrupt police in Koh Tao for their great work, delaying elections, electing himself to PM even after all of the b/s "I don't want to be PM", I cannot agree with your comment, "he's always been sensible"

• Like 1

Well...The way i see it...

Prayuth has done exactly what he said he intended to do....Good on him !!!!

In my opinion....it looks like someone has come along to put Thailand back to what it should be....on track and corruption free.

I see a vast improvement, like many thais do,... as I am here full time....

please do describe the improvement?

i have seen many grand public gestures set aside as quickly as they were executed.

as for doing what he said he would do, lets see how quickly he returns thailand to democracy.

As for corruption free, well it would be rude to laugh at you out loud, the agenda is quite clear.

The disrespecful disdain for all things thai repeatedly been posted on this forum and thread is a disgrace.

If things are so bad and thailand so irredeemable, stop being hypocrites and return to the god forsaken homelands you emanate from and which are clearly unimpeachable in all aspects of life and society.

you all make me vomit!

Yeah I am with you on this al you lot book a cheap flight bye bye

Here's a better idea, if you don't like the TV forum, don't come here.

• Like 1

you all make me vomit!

Vomit away.

• Like 1

you all make me vomit!

Yeah I am with you on this al you lot book a cheap flight bye bye

Here's a better idea, if you don't like the TV forum, don't come here.

The zeal of the convert. It almost always wears off given time...

• Like 1

you all make me vomit!

Really? You think that people give a sh*t what you think? You're like a petulant schoolgirl

• Like 2

So someone says we will ban booze for the holidays. Then the boss says no you wont and he looks like a hero.

All a bit too obvious.

Agree completely, as my post on the other thread. I don't give a toss what they do, but I hate them taking us for fools with these daft announcements, so they can be shot down by the boss.

I just heard a humorous catch-phrase on the very unbiased and totally neutral radio station FM 101.0:

“ไม่ดื่ม ไม่เพลิน ไม่เกินหนึ่งแก้ว

"Don't drink, don't carried away. Not more than one glass."

I'm not one to support excessive drinking, but that's totally laughable. They might as well tell everyone to be in bed by 10 pm to start the new year of early the next day.

*101.0 is the military's radio station, for those who don't know.

Edited by timmyp

@ makkam. You ever hear of a little something called freedom of speech. These posters have every right to voice their opinion whether positive or negative. In case you haven't noticed this is called Thai Visa not UK Visa or USA visa or any other visa,and I am sure if it was anything other we/they would have both negative and positive things to say in those regards as well. Why? Because we have a god given right to say whatever the hell we choose to a certain degree. So if you don't like it then maybe you need to go find another forum that satisfies your superiority complex.

• Like 2

So someone says we will ban booze for the holidays. Then the boss says no you wont and he looks like a hero.

All a bit too obvious.

Yes I concur... why the heck didn't a national rule need to run past his desk in the first instance!? Geez, what a piece of marketing.... about as subtle as getting hit by a motor scooter and about as much fun!

All a bit too obvious.

Yes I concur... why the heck didn't a national rule need to run past his desk in the first instance!? Geez, what a piece of marketing.... about as subtle as getting hit by a motor scooter and about as much fun!

It would have done .. that's the point it was initially just a suggestion at a committee meeting, nothing was actually passed. It was scheduled for further discussion .. now Prayuth has confirmed it will not be happening!

It would be grand if you all kept up with the information!

• Like 1

Finally some sense!

Not finally.

It's other people that they never listen to what he says but just interpret in a way that suits them.

How can anyone call a leader of a military coup, sensible? Beats me.

How does anyone, who is not sensible, get to be the top man in anyone's armed forces?

Actually, I don't think he's being sensible. IMO He's being a realist. It's my guess that he knows, full well that such a stupid bit of legislature will make no difference to actual events during the holidays

the only thing that will change habits in this country as far as drink/driving is concerned is tough, uncompromising law enforcement, with punitive punishment for transgressors. I suspect we've a ways to go yet in that regard.

Sad, but that is the reality.

I know the D-word is not allowed, but it does seem like an awful lot of decision-making is in the hands of one man. [Not that I object to this decision]

If other senior government officials keep coming up with these nuggets of wisdom like banning alcohol during New Year and Song Kran, it's really a good thing that a sensible guy has veto power.

I really would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these meetings where such decisions are made. Like the recent visa crack down that was quickly reversed. Is it possible that these people do not possess powers to mentally trace cause-effect relationships prior to acting? Is there some kind of neural decease that makes a large proportion of the population completely unable to think ahead for even a single step?

And it's not just complex public policy issues. It's observable at every level. All too often i've seen Thais get off a moving escalator and immediately stop causing everybody else behind bump into them and each other. The look on the culprits faces is that of utter bewilderment and surprise at how it could possible happen.

I've made a point to try to note how i'm dealing with the regular business of living among other people in a complex urban environment. I observed that i automatically try to make assessments and predictions about events around me and adjust my own trajectory and effort in order to avoid harm and get what i want. Watching a motorcycle coming down the sidewalk 10 meters away and moving to the site to avoid being hit. Or slowing down in advance when driving when i see a lot of break lights 200 meters ahead. Or walking a few additional steps and hailing a taxi on a side soi rather than at a major intersection in the middle of rush our traffic. Or thinking through the many negative implications and high improbability of the desired result when suggesting to ban alcohol during the largest holidays of the year in a country heavily dependent on tourism.

I really don't get it. They seem to be constantly unaware, unconcerned, and undisturbed by all this. Is it culture, education, religion? I'm not trolling. Just genuinely curious.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Finally some sense!

Not finally.

Most of the dimwits on Thai Visa would find fault if he gave every one free top tier medicine 35 hour work week 1,000 baht a day minimum wages 100% employment. 1,000,000 baht in their bank account on new years day cut the cost of living in half. Eliminated the National debt and any other sneaky deals the past administration pulled.

It is getting so predictable every time he does some thing they knock it and then forget it when it becomes fact. They spend half their time trying to figure out a way to make it look like Thailand was Paradise with the traveling Prime Minister.

If they knew which leg he put his pants on first with they would find fault with that.

• Like 1

you all make me vomit!

Ok. Own up. Who took his dummy out?

I know the D-word is not allowed, but it does seem like an awful lot of decision-making is in the hands of one man. [Not that I object to this decision]

If other senior government officials keep coming up with these nuggets of wisdom like banning alcohol during New Year and Song Kran, it's really a good thing that a sensible guy has veto power.

I really would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these meetings where such decisions are made. Like the recent visa crack down that was quickly reversed. Is it possible that these people do not possess powers to mentally trace cause-effect relationships prior to acting? Is there some kind of neural decease that makes a large proportion of the population completely unable to think ahead for even a single step?

And it's not just complex public policy issues. It's observable at every level. All too often i've seen Thais get off a moving escalator and immediately stop causing everybody else behind bump into them and each other. The look on the culprits faces is that of utter bewilderment and surprise at how it could possible happen.

I've made a point to try to note how i'm dealing with the regular business of living among other people in a complex urban environment. I observed that i automatically try to make assessments and predictions about events around me and adjust my own trajectory and effort in order to avoid harm and get what i want. Watching a motorcycle coming down the sidewalk 10 meters away and moving to the site to avoid being hit. Or slowing down in advance when driving when i see a lot of break lights 200 meters ahead. Or walking a few additional steps and hailing a taxi on a side soi rather than at a major intersection in the middle of rush our traffic. Or thinking through the many negative implications and high improbability of the desired result when suggesting to ban alcohol during the largest holidays of the year in a country heavily dependent on tourism.

I really don't get it. They seem to be constantly unaware, unconcerned, and undisturbed by all this. Is it culture, education, religion? I'm not trolling. Just genuinely curious.

You are such a good little boy. I would give you a shiny new 2 baht coin if we ever meet.

They have a different culture and the sooner you figure it out the happier you will be. If you want your old culture what are you doing here?

you all make me vomit!

May I be so bold as to ask what anti Thai sentiments you speak of ?

From what I can see is some knob said something and then someone else said something else. Where is the Thai bashing ?

Your comment about the walkway made me laugh. This happened to me a while ago, there was no pile up behind me. I pushed the prick out of the way.

Thai people are like people the world over. Forget the 'you cant do this you cant do that' Man alive alive alive ho.

The soldier with all the gold pips on his shoulder and his many campaign medals on his chest has spoken so let the party begin I am sure a few of the doubters who were not coming to Thailand for New Year celebrations because of the tea total bars will be booking their tickets as we speak now TAT will hit the 25million tourists easily and however many trillions of baht spent on Leo by the high rollers for the holidays.