BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jingthing

Stuck in a rut ... ideas for easy or moderate level exotic recipes you can cook in Thailand

I made this dish last year when I saw it on a cooking show.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-paprika-chicken-thighs-with-potato-and-onion-recipe.html

I undercooked the potatoes so I recommend you start those maybe 15 minutes early. My wife then made it and it was freaking delicious.

Try adding some chorizo to this dish to pad it out a bit...adds to the flavour....I have a version of this too...very tasty!

Ummmm, that sounds even better. Mexican, not Spanish style chorizo I assume?

I made this dish last year when I saw it on a cooking show.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-paprika-chicken-thighs-with-potato-and-onion-recipe.html

I undercooked the potatoes so I recommend you start those maybe 15 minutes early. My wife then made it and it was freaking delicious.

Try adding some chorizo to this dish to pad it out a bit...adds to the flavour....I have a version of this too...very tasty!

Ummmm, that sounds even better. Mexican, not Spanish style chorizo I assume?

Never tried Mexican....but sounds good!

Ok, I just made Al Pastor. This is my favorite mexican meat by far when it is done right. I'm really picky about al pastor. I have usually been able to find one restaurant within a 20 mile radius of where I lived in california to get my fix but I'm in a desert here.

I have never tried to make it because it requires a vertical spit, similar to a doner.

Then I saw a recipe. Search for "serious eats pastor"

I skipped quite a few steps as he chose to use pork sirloin & bacon, while we have sliced pork shoulder available at makro. For chili I used what was available (dried, 2 varieties) at makro.

I did have achoite & chipotle chilies as I just came back from a trip to california. I don't know where you can get those here. If you have sources, please let us know.

I forgot the garlic & had a bit too much meat for the marinade. Otherwise it was just stick it in a blender & mix. I don't mind heat so I left the seeds in the chilies in.

I let it marinade for about 16 hours. I didn't bother layering, just made sure that the marinade covered all the meat.

The oven instructions were correct, 4 hours at 275 F produced a good result.

I didn't bother with the pineapple & I didn't bother with separating the fat & sauce.

I let everything cool overnight & then cut thin slices of the "meat loaf" to fry with the reserved fat & sauce. Served with a flour tortilla, home made salsa, sour cream. jalapeno jack cheese, avocado - I wasn't missing mexican food in California.

On the recipe, the texture of the meat was great. The technique of layering & cooking as a meat loaf works great as long as you cool it then fry it in the fat & sauce to finish it off. The sliced pork shoulder worked great. I didn't even bother trying to layer it much.

I didn't find the flavor to be where I would be coming back for it (in california (i am really picky about al pastor)) but it was decent & much better than I have had here. I'll be trying this again soon.