Is this the dangerous giant hogweed ?

sweatalot

post-179384-0-60947900-1418181363_thumb.This plant appeared about 2 months ago in our land and grew in that time to a size of more than 2 m.

It looks interesting so I would like to keep it, even grow some more of those.

The problem is I am not sure what kind of plant it is. If it is a giant hogweed I would have to destroy it. I looked it up in the internet (Heracleum mantegazzianum) but the photoes look a bit different.

I hope somebody can help me and tell what kind of plant it is and may be what it's good for exept looking nice.

post-179384-0-60947900-1418181363_thumb.

hey there.. if i am not mistaken.. its a Papaya Tree!

you got lucky!

hey there,

thank you for your answer, that's what I thought first, too. But it isn't. It is not a tree, the trunk is not wooden and inside it's hollow (I know this from a kinked branch)

We have papaya trees, too. The photo is not very good, I took it in the evening. May be I have to take another one. For now I'm adding a detail.

You can see the greyisch color of the trunk and may be the shape of the leaves comes clearer

post-179384-0-28930400-1418190514_thumb.

post-179384-0-28930400-1418190514_thumb.

check out this report.. it may help

http://www.nybg.org/files/scientists/rnaczi/Mistaken_Identity_Final.pdf

towards the end of the report it mentions hogweeds

good luck!

Thank you so much for this report. It helped.

Seems it's not hogweed, looks more like the cow parsnip.

Only the flower looks different from both the hogweed and the parsnip.

May be the flower is still in an early stage.

Here is a guide as to how to remove it.

http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/ipcw/pages/detailreport.cfm@usernumber=69&surveynumber=182.php

I know it from Australia ... I didn't know it was in the USA.

Last time I was in Hawaii(12 years ago or so) it was becoming invasive... I remember people talking about it...it was growing and taking over native plants..

If I remember correctly, we used to use it for trying to prevent Moles invading the garden in coastal British Columbia...

A threat of a tablespoon of caster oil was a good enough threat to get those pleading illness to make a rapid recovery and make school on time. The mouth wash using soap was dessert when campared to that foul tasting, smelling, rotten, puke producing crap.

Edited by slapout

Coincidently i never heard it called Hogweed - i guess that is the reason we should use the latin names if we know them. The common name I have always known it as was Caster oil plant . Not that important in the grand scheme of things .

Coincidently i never heard it called Hogweed - i guess that is the reason we should use the latin names if we know them. The common name I have always known it as was Caster oil plant . Not that important in the grand scheme of things .

Castor plant is not hogweed.

The latin name for hogweed is Heracleum mantegazzianum.

It is a different plant, posioness, too causing ekzema and allergies