3.5 Million THB Home Burglarly in Nakha-Udon Thani

maxjay

There are traces of grated hard Closet door open Safe Weight 150 kg within the body disappear. The Safe with gold bars weighing 20 baht 2 bars weighing 10 baht 4 bars of gold bars weighing 70 baht jewelery worth 5 billion baht Rolex 1 house for five hundred baht diamond band 3 price band of two hundred thousand baht total assets. lost about 3.5 million baht

Sorry for the bad translation. Blame Google for it, please. The house looks a little bit like "Scarface's little mansion".......

But don't we all keep so many expensive things at home and our Tiracs would never ever tell anybody else about it.Wouldn't anybody with common sense keep that stuff at a bank???

It's maybe much easier. The "poor guy" wanted to build a Taj Mahal in his village?

But here's a serious question. Why would you keep that much in your house, when you're not even there?

Hope he's got a good insurance policy.......why does the story smell so fishy, Dr. Watson from TVF??? facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

post-158336-0-00329900-1418196988_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

Can I make a guess where he's from, or is it clear to everyone from the pictures.

Come on then. Where's he from?

Let me guess....a real difficult one...Bundestag in Berlin perhaps?

Please Dr. Watson, what's your input? .....sad.png

post-158336-0-75637800-1418221956_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

As a victim of housebreaking and burglary, I know the gutted feeling after the privacy and sanctity of your home has been violated. However, with all due respect to the victim, I do hope that the burglars managed to lift his stash of bad taste as well.

• Like 1

I was reading about this a couple of days ago. From the article, the safe contained gold bars, diamond jewellery and Rolex watches, the combined weight of the safe and its contents estimated to be about 150 Kg.
The two-story house was located in Amphoe Meuang Udon Thani and the safe was hidden in a wardrobe in the bedroom on the 2nd floor, the thieves gaining access via a ladder to the balcony at the rear of the property which backed onto rice fields.
The owners of the property, a Thai woman married to an Englishman, had two children together and they travelled back and forth between Thailand and England, where they had a business running a garage. The house was looked after by the Thai woman's mother, father and relatives while they were away and she says they are the only people who knew about the safe ad its contents.
The couple returned back to the house from a trip to the UK on 27/11/14 and the jewellery wasn't stolen until 08/12/14. On that evening she took her parents and relatives out for a meal at 7 PM and on returning they didn't notice the safe and its contents were missing until the next morning.
The only thing missing from the house was the safe and its valuables. Looks like an inside job...

Edited by katana

I was reading about this a couple of days ago. From the article, the safe contained gold bars, diamond jewellery and Rolex watches, the combined weight of the safe and its contents estimated to be about 150 Kg.

The two-story house was located in Amphoe Meuang Udon Thani and the safe was hidden in a wardrobe in the bedroom on the 2nd floor, the thieves gaining access via a ladder to the balcony at the rear of the property which backed onto rice fields.

The owners of the property, a Thai woman married to an Englishman, had two children together and they travelled back and forth between Thailand and England, where they had a business running a garage. The house was looked after by the Thai woman's mother, father and relatives while they were away and she says they are the only people who knew about the safe ad its contents.

The couple returned back to the house from a trip to the UK on 27/11/14 and the jewellery wasn't stolen until 08/12/14. On that evening she took her parents and relatives out for a meal at 7 PM and on returning they didn't notice the safe and its contents were missing until the next morning.

The only thing missing from the house was the safe and its valuables. Looks like an inside job...

another one to work out,where's MR.BEAN when you need him.

DIDNT THE ALARM GO OFF.?facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Which alarm? You don't need one, when you're hiding your treasure in your wardrobe. Nobody will ever know. Oh wait, but somebody knew it.

I'm sure ghosts were involved, because Thais won't do such things. Or maybe some Burmese workers?

Would be interesting to know if there's an insurance policy. The fact that they're travelling back and forth from Thailand to the UK makes it very dubious.

Even if I'd be living there full time, I'd never ever leave so much cash at my home. But I'm sure that some TVF detectives already know who's got it.

BTW, Lucky does great and she'd have stopped the burglars immediately. facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Which alarm? You don't need one, when you're hiding your treasure in your wardrobe. Nobody will ever know. Oh wait, but somebody knew it.

I'm sure ghosts were involved, because Thais won't do such things. Or maybe some Burmese workers?

Would be interesting to know if there's an insurance policy. The fact that they're travelling back and forth from Thailand to the UK makes it very dubious.

Even if I'd be living there full time, I'd never ever leave so much cash at my home. But I'm sure that some TVF detectives already know who's got it.

BTW, Lucky does great and she'd have stopped the burglars immediately. facepalm.gif

if that was my house with all that booty,there would be a gorilla living there.

does seem like some monkey business gone on.

• Like 2

Can I make a guess where he's from, or is it clear to everyone from the pictures.

Come on then. Where's he from?

Let me guess....a real difficult one...Bundestag in Berlin perhaps?

Please Dr. Watson, what's your input? .....sad.png

UK. Where else? facepalm.gif

From what I've been told, this "garage", does automobile conversion for handicapped drivers. Good money, from the looks and sound of it...

Very obviously an 'inside job' although claiming that the immediate relatives were the only ones with knowledge of where the safe was is rather naive. Speculation about an 'insurance job' are exactly that... mere speculation.

I have no doubt that the victims are a happily married and professional couple that placed trust in immediate family to look after the home. The comment suggesting that their frequent travel to and from the UK is questionable is based on what? Not everyone is TEFL'ing, retired, 90-day reporting, filing extensions and/or doing border runs. I am married and retired in Thailand but I am completing my 5th trip outside the country with a 6th scheduled before year end.

The safe contained what looks like someone's contingency planning and high-value, small-item investments in that they could have been quickly traded; not entirely unwise when looking at the perilous state of this country's freedoms.

However, they should have invested in a real safe, bolted and cemented into a ground-floor room rather than the hotel style room-safe in the bedroom.

• Like 2

The Safe with gold bars weighing 20 baht 2 bars weighing 10 baht 4 bars of gold bars weighing 70 baht jewelery worth 5 billion baht Rolex 1 house for five hundred baht diamond band 3 price band of two hundred thousand baht total assets. lost about 3.5 million baht

Wouldn't anybody with common sense keep that stuff at a bank???

Who would and how would you leave these types of assets at a bank (especially here)?? A proper (security-rated) safe bolted to the floor would be sufficient.

There are traces of grated hard Closet door open Safe Weight 150 kg within the body disappear. The Safe with gold bars weighing 20 baht 2 bars weighing 10 baht 4 bars of gold bars weighing 70 baht jewelery worth 5 billion baht Rolex 1 house for five hundred baht diamond band 3 price band of two hundred thousand baht total assets. lost about 3.5 million baht

The house looks a little bit like "Scarface's little mansion".......Wouldn't anybody with common sense keep that stuff at a bank???

The "poor guy" wanted to build a Taj Mahal in his village?

But here's a serious question. Why would you keep that much in your house, when you're not even there?

Here is another serious question, and thought...

This house would not even rate a double take, or a second thought, in hi-end locations, such as Hua Hin, Krabi, Samui, Phuket, Chiang Mai, certain areas of Chonburi province, etc.

The same would be true for some of the hi-end housing estates in Udon Thani.

But building a "Taj Mahal" out in the middle of a piss-poor village???

In addition, this guy brought over an entire container full English furniture, some of it antique, a proper snooker table, a formal hardwood dining table w/chairs, collectables, etc. And the cherry on top of this sundae...an authentic red London telephone booth, which he placed in his front yard.

Common sense? Seems he left it back London. IMO.

I'm baffled as to how this guy was so successful with his business back in the UK?

There are traces of grated hard Closet door open Safe Weight 150 kg within the body disappear. The Safe with gold bars weighing 20 baht 2 bars weighing 10 baht 4 bars of gold bars weighing 70 baht jewelery worth 5 billion baht Rolex 1 house for five hundred baht diamond band 3 price band of two hundred thousand baht total assets. lost about 3.5 million bahtThe house looks a little bit like "Scarface's little mansion".......Wouldn't anybody with common sense keep that stuff at a bank???

The "poor guy" wanted to build a Taj Mahal in his village?

Here is another serious question, and thought...

This house would not even rate a double take, or a second thought, in hi-end locations, such as Hua Hin, Krabi, Samui, Phuket, Chiang Mai, certain areas of Chonburi province, etc.

The same would be true for some of the hi-end housing estates in Udon Thani.

But building a "Taj Mahal" out in the middle of a piss-poor village???

In addition, this guy brought over an entire container full English furniture, some of it antique, a proper snooker table, a formal hardwood dining table w/chairs, collectables, etc. And the cherry on top of this sundae...an authentic red London telephone booth, which he placed in his front yard.

Common sense? Seems he left it back London. IMO.

I'm baffled as to how this guy was so successful with his business back in the UK?

I'm baffled as to how many people on here blame the victim and not the thieves!

• Like 1

sstuff3 said:

IMO. I don't think anyone is "blaming the victim". I think people are questioning his common sense in building where he built.

Edited by maxjay

sstuff3 said:

IMO. I don't think anyone is "blaming the victim". I think people are questioning his common sense in building where he built.

I wasn't aware there were restrictions on where or what you can build here. Seems to me that the logic used here (if you can call it that), is "if you build or have something that someone else views as extravagant or expensive, you should expect (and may deserve) to be burglarized." Everyone has their own reasons for doing as they do. Their choice of what to build and where shouldn't even enter this topic. Their house was broken into and their personal property stolen, which is inexcusable regardless of where their house is located or what it looks like. Simple as that.

Edited by sstuff3
  • Like 1

Sorry for the bad translation. Blame Google for it, please. The house looks a little bit like "Scarface's little mansion".......

But don't we all keep so many expensive things at home and our Tiracs would never ever tell anybody else about it.Wouldn't anybody with common sense keep that stuff at a bank???

It's maybe much easier. The "poor guy" wanted to build a Taj Mahal in his village?

Hope he's got a good insurance policy.......why does the story smell so fishy, Dr. Watson from TVF??? facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

insurance job?

sstuff3 said:

Duplicate post. Tried to delete.

Edited by sstuff3

sstuff3 said:

I wasn't aware there were restrictions on where or what you can build here. Seems to me that the logic used here (if you can call it that), is "if you build or have something that someone else views as extravagant or expensive, you should expect (and may deserve) to be burglarized." Everyone has their own reasons for doing as they do. Their choice of what to build and where shouldn't even enter this topic. Their house was broken into and their personal property stolen, which is inexcusable regardless of where their house is located or what it looks like. Simple as that.

Agree.

You would be 100% correct sstuff3...in a perfect world.

However, this is not a perfect world. This is a world of haves and have not's. No matter what country in the world we are discussing.

This is a world where people need to: install bars on the windows of their home, double lock the doors of their home when they go out and while they sleep, install alarm systems & CCTV's in their homes, lock their cars and install car alarms, etc.

I could go on and on with this list. But, I think you get my point.

For me, all I can say, if I was going to invest twelve-plus million THB in Thai real estate...I wouldn't build a luxury house out in the middle of the rice fields, where the villagers are just getting by, and still forage for food out in the middle of the jungle.

I do feel bad for this guy. What happened to him and his family is "inexcusable". I can't believe anyone would think he "deserved" it, I certainly don't.

However, as a wise man once said to me: "you've go to buy the whole package". In this particular case the whole package is...

In other words: Accept the consequences of your actions.

• Like 1

Original lyrics from Gershwin's Porgy & Bess (1935):

De folks wid plenty o' plenty
Got a lock on de door
'Fraid somebody's a-goin' to rob 'em
While dey's out a-makin' more
What for?
I got no lock on de door
Dat's no way to be
Dey kin steal de rug from de floor
Dat's okeh wid me
'Cause de things dat I prize