3.5 Million THB Home Burglarly in Nakha-Udon Thani

maxjay

sstuff3 said:

I'm baffled as to how many people on here blame the victim and not the thieves!

IMO. I don't think anyone is "blaming the victim". I think people are questioning his common sense in building where he built.

I wasn't aware there were restrictions on where or what you can build here. Seems to me that the logic used here (if you can call it that), is "if you build or have something that someone else views as extravagant or expensive, you should expect (and may deserve) to be burglarized." Everyone has their own reasons for doing as they do. Their choice of what to build and where shouldn't even enter this topic. Their house was broken into and their personal property stolen, which is inexcusable regardless of where their house is located or what it looks like. Simple as that.

Agree.

You would be 100% correct sstuff3...in a perfect world.

However, this is not a perfect world. This is a world of haves and have not's. No matter what country in the world we are discussing.

This is a world where people need to: install bars on the windows of their home, double lock the doors of their home when they go out and while they sleep, install alarm systems & CCTV's in their homes, lock their cars and install car alarms, etc.

I could go on and on with this list. But, I think you get my point.

For me, all I can say, if I was going to invest twelve-plus million THB in Thai real estate...I wouldn't build a luxury house out in the middle of the rice fields, where the villagers are just getting by, and still forage for food out in the middle of the jungle.

I do feel bad for this guy. What happened to him and his family is "inexcusable". I can't believe anyone would think he "deserved" it, I certainly don't.

However, as a wise man once said to me: "you've go to buy the whole package". In this particular case the whole package is...

In other words: Accept the consequences of your actions.

Your logic baffles me. I guess we should all live in cardboard boxes and carry our things with us everywhere we go, right? The world will always be a place of haves and have-nots. That does not mean we who strive for a better lifestyle should expect to be robbed or burglarized. My rented house in Bangkok was in the middle of a Thai middle-to-upper class neighborhood and I am not the flashy type and like to keep pretty much to myself. That did not prevent someone(s) from entering my house one day and removing everything of value. Yes, the house was fitted with an alarm system, bars on the windows (upstairs and down), a walled garden with security grills on top, etc. That still did not stop someone from burglarizing my home. According to your logic, "I had to buy the whole package and accept it for what it is? How can that be when it is impossible to anticipate some greedy bastard(s) ill intentions? Location does not matter at all. Homes located in 30+ Million Baht gated communities are burglarized, what "package" do you think those owners bought?

In addition, your description of the local villagers is a bit naïve at best (foraging for food in the jungle, really???).

As I said, "Their house was broken into and their personal property stolen, which is inexcusable regardless of where their house is located or what it looks like. Simple as that."

Really, simple as that!

sstuff3, I replied yesterday:

Agree.

I stand by what I wrote.

sstuff3 said:

In addition, your description of the local villagers is a bit naïve at best (foraging for food in the jungle, really???).

That comment tells me you haven't been to the real Isaan. When I write "real Isaan", I'm referring to the villages. Like my wife's village, 45 minutes outside of Sakon Nakon.

Perhaps you been to the larger cities of Isaan? Seen all the new this and that. Think the whole region is like that?

I'll tell you what, next time you are up here in Isaan...PM me and I will give you written directions to the house & village in question. Check it out for yourself...up close & personal.

sstuff3. I am truly sorry you home was broken into. Having had the same thing happen to me...I can empathize.

sstuff3, I replied yesterday:

Agree.

I stand by what I wrote.

sstuff3 said:

That comment tells me you haven't been to the real Isaan. When I write "real Isaan", I'm referring to the villages. Like my wife's village, 45 minutes outside of Sakon Nakon.

Perhaps you been to the larger cities of Isaan? Seen all the new this and that. Think the whole region is like that?

I'll tell you what, next time you are up here in Isaan...PM me and I will give you written directions to the house & village in question. Check it out for yourself...up close & personal.

sstuff3. I am truly sorry you home was broken into. Having had the same thing happen to me...I can empathize.

My wife's village is about 100 kilometers east of Udon Thani, I believe I am familiar with the type of villages you are describing but I personally would not describe what they do as "foraging for food in the jungle", but hey, everyone has their own perception of things.

Cheers!

According to the articles below, police arrested a 38 year old man on 11 Dec with a variety of watches, weapons, and drugs.

The jewelry is from a variety of robberies in/around Udon, most from a robbery that occurred on 30 Nov in moobahn Sritani (ศรีธานี), Udon, while the 26 year old owner was out visiting her mother.
That robbery involved valuable watches, diamonds, jewelry and purses. The girl shown in the Thai Rath photo below is the victim of the 30 Nov burglary...and I assume the watches and jewelry is from that robbery.

Police believe, that this robber 'may be' connected to the robbery on 8 Dec from the home of the British man and his wife...but I see nothing in the article photos that pins him directly to that robbery.

The article does mention that specific robbery...but I believe it's just conjecture on the part of the police at this point, that the man is connected.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/468521

http://www.banmuang.co.th/news/crime/3724

Edited by maxjay

That is a big house for 3 people but they forgot to bolt down the safe apparently. They do not trust the banks it seems either so let hope they were heavily insured.

I think I may look into who he purchased the gold from, could be a good start. I wonder were you go to sell those big ass cold bars. maybe my next stop.

3 million is less than 100,000 usd.

Many houses have furnishings, valuables and vehicles....let alone jewelry....in that range. They get stolen/scammed every day. Read the forum. This one just had the cash already extracted from the second mortgage...evidently.

Just go to Pattaya, and pick up your future "Robin Hood". I hear there is a Christmas discount for first timers.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Many houses have furnishings, valuables and vehicles....let alone jewelry....in that range. They get stolen/scammed every day. Read the forum. This one just had the cash already extracted from the second mortgage...evidently.

Just go to Pattaya, and pick up your future "Robin Hood". I hear there is a Christmas discount for first timers.

Won't go there again. Last time, some girls were trying to shoot me with Ping Pong balls and peeled bananas.

Weird was that I din't see the gun, maybe the black soldiers involved?

Just wondering if the "poor" guy has got an insurance policy? Dr. Watson, please...................