Krabi - Tell Me What It's All About

Boo

The Krabi forum moderator has been out of action due to illness & posts in this place have slowly dwindled to nothing except ones sayign that the krabi forum is dead. :o

This thread is an attempt to revive the krabi forum so as someone who has never been to Krabi but will in the future, give me some info;

Where's good to eat, nice places to stay, things to do in the daytime, trips recommended, places to party, any good live bands on the island?

Krabi-ites :D , promote your island.....NOW :D

I think the point is to not promote it. It will just create another Samui/Huahin/Pattaya/Phuket.

If progress can be slowed down until more experience is built in the Tourism industry and the government understands that covering a place in concrete and pollute the area will destroy a place permanently. The highest priority should be to develop a sustainable balance between the developments and nature. Because nature (beaches, sea, mountains,etc.) is the number 1 reason people go to a place. Not rows and rows of ugly shophouses and loud girly bars.

Only then Krabi will have a good future and a sustainable source of tourism income. When looking at some places close to the beach i have the feeling it is already to late, but let's hope it is not.

Zoning and enforcing are the two magic words.

The Krabi forum moderator has been out of action due to illness & posts in this place have slowly dwindled to nothing except ones sayign that the krabi forum is dead. :o

This thread is an attempt to revive the krabi forum so as someone who has never been to Krabi but will in the future, give me some info;

Where's good to eat, nice places to stay, things to do in the daytime, trips recommended, places to party, any good live bands on the island?

Krabi-ites :D , promote your island.....NOW :D

Hello from Aonang, Krabi - erm - I would promote our ''island''...but we are still firmly attached (at my last look), to the mainland. :D

I absolutely loved Railay Bay (off Krabi) when I was there. My favourite beach place in the country! Only thing is that internet is ridiculously pricey so I don't know how many people residing there you'll get on here!

Edited by Krupnik

I absolutely loved Railay Bay (off Krabi) when I was there. My favourite beach place in the country! Only thing is that internet is ridiculously pricey so I don't know how many people residing there you'll get on here!

I read sometime ago the Railay beach was ranked number 10 of the worlds best beaches. I first visited it some 10 years ago and it was beautiful then. What a shame it's now been spoilt by greedy hotel developers.

How's the cave now? The one at the end of Railay East. Five years ago we couldn't turn on the lights - I think there was no elictricity in the daytime.

Then there was a "lagoon" - a rather steep climb near Pranang beach that leads to a little lake surrounded by cliffs. Is it still there? Is still for athletic types only?

Are there organized tours to nearby hot water springs? We had our own van with a guide last time - it was fun, lots of Thais, very few farangs.

• 1 year later...

The cave has not electric (was there a few days ago) .. the lagoon is anti-climactic (sp?) because it is hard to get there and dangerous becuase the limestone is really sharp and the lagoon really isn't that nice (disgusting water) better to just go to the viewpoint, getting to that is easy.

There are many many many organized tours to the hotsprings... we went there on this trip... it was great!

laterz

i think krabi is beautiful. the limestone karsts, the nice locals and the beaches are lovely.

i have done a few trips with www.andamancampandcruise.com and they were great.

from what i see from last time i was there, its really coming up with lots of new hotels being built.

the islands off the coast are lovely, and bamboo island is one that you simply must visit. very beautiful. with clear waters, good food, lots of activities, and nice locals, i think krabi is a great province to visit. excellent for families too, as the beaches are shallow and great for kids.

Living in Hat Yai before, Krabi was the teachers' weekend destination as its only about 5 hourse on the bus. We used to go there every other weekend and stay in Ao Nang in some really cheap huts (mountain view?) sometimes we would just stay around Ao Nang beach and relax or we would go over to Tonsai or Railay depending on the mood (and finances). My favourite place to party was the Luna Bar, which was always the best fun. Tonsai was more relaxed, just to sit an sip beers and we only really went to Railay to take photos as it seemed super developed and expensive - although if you wondered over to the other side it was different although not a scenic. I love Krabi and had some of my best experiences in Thailand there. Also, there was a very good pizza place in Krabi town too.

Some pictures. First is Railey west beach in the morning.

Second is a limestone carst just in front of Pranang Beach.

Also plse note that Koh Pi-Pi is in Krabi Province and NOT Phuket.

Daytrips by ferries, speedboats or longtailboats are available.

Best food in Ao Nang (my opinion) AZZURA in the middle of the beach promenade.

Best beach massage is just past Golden Beach resort on the way to the last café.

cheers

onzestan

Know those two beautiful spots very well Onze, thanks for the pics

Nothing to thank me for. Have been going to Krabi (live in Pattaya) once or twice a year since

17 years now. Seen it change a lot (not all for the better). Remember sitting alone on the beach

in front of the last café sipping a cold beer enjoying the most wonderful scenery in the world

(my opinion). Fond memories abound. :o

cheers

onzestan

Know those two beautiful spots very well Onze, thanks for the pics

Nothing to thank me for. Have been going to Krabi (live in Pattaya) once or twice a year since

17 years now. Seen it change a lot (not all for the better). Remember sitting alone on the beach

in front of the last café sipping a cold beer enjoying the most wonderful scenery in the world

(my opinion). Fond memories abound. :o

cheers

onzestan

Last Cafe is a really nice place, very rustic - they do nice lunches and cold beer (although I prefer to drink chinese tea at lunchtime 'coz beer wrecks me for the afternoon) before you get there you walk along "massage Alley" which is a row of open-sided shacks with massage platforms. There are about a 12 of them and the advertised price is around 200 B for an hour - head & face, foot or whole body plus various other beauty treatments. We tried a couple and found them to be excellent. The staff are very friendly and if you set up your beach towels etc in the shade of the trees in front of them, they bring you friut as a welcome. They keep their areas spotless sweeping up all the leaves and rubbish.

Beyond the Last Cafe, there is a small shrine to Rama or Vishnu (I can't remember which} and beyond that a small stream crossed over by a wooden bridge where wild monkeys come to play and try and cadge food off the tourists. The bridge leads to a steep footpath which leads round the headland.

We love Krabi and Ao Nang, in our opinion it's far nicer than Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin or Pattaya.

post-8644-1188771705.jpg

post-8644-1188771723.jpg

post-8644-1188771743.jpg

post-8644-1188771759.jpg