Living in Chanthaburi. Would you recommend it?

ubonr1971

The wife and I looking for a new place to move to in Thailand. If you are knowledgeable on Chanthaburi could you comment on any of the issues below.....

- Good hospitals? Are any high class ones similar to bkk standards?

- Schools? Any quality private primary / international schools?

- Does NCA bus go to bkk. If so how long does it take? Or how long to Pattaya?

- My wife is a Dentist. We want to open a clinic after settling in. I presume like any big city in LOS that there are numerous existing clinics? Any comments are appreciated. Is it a good place for a dental clinic. I think any large city with plenty of uni students will be suitable- based on how much money some of my wifes bosses are making with their private clinics.

- I currently teach at a govt uni. How many uni's are in Chanthaburi? Is it an easy place to find a teaching job?

- We will rent for a few years. Are there any high end villages where one can rent a house? If so, what are the names of the villages? We live in a smaller city in Issan atm and pay 8000 baht a month for small new house. How much is it to rent a 3 b/r 2 bath newish house in Ubon in a high class village- the ones where all the houses look the same and there are barking rat dogs every second house?

- Surrounding tourist sites? We once passed through Chanthaburi briefly and visited the waterfalls / rainforest which was nice. The beach is a 30min drive from memory.

Please comment on any of the above if you have the time or inclination.

many thanks

• Like 2

Pok Ghao Hospital is the provincial hospital and also the wider teaching hospital for the east. It is huge.

There is a Bangkok Private Hospital and Siriveg Private Hospital. Pretty good for some things but do apparently sometimes send patients to Pok Ghao for operations.

I know La Salle has a school there plus there is another Catholic Private School

I don't know what the NCA bus is but there are regular bus and van services of all kinds to Bangkok, Pattaya, Rayong, Ko Chang, Chachensao, Korat etc

Don't know how many existing dental clinics but of course they are there

At least a couple of universities or branches of them, Buri Rapha rings a bell. Don't know about jobs.

These communities of new houses have been starting to spring up but I don't know the names of the villages they are in. I expect that rental here wouldn't be any or much more expensive than Isaan

Koh Chang an hour plus drive plus a ferry trip, the beaches - Chao Lao, Laem Sadet, Laem Singh, Laem Mae Pim half hour or more, waterfalls Phliu very close Soi Dao 2 hours also a National Park and wildlife breeding place, Krating and another one maybe Khao Chamao, plus Khao Kitchakhut National Park and pilgrimage site, Wat Khao Sukhim, plus there is a SeaWorld type place although I haven't seen this.

• Like 2

<snip>

I don't know what the NCA bus is but there are regular bus and van services of all kinds to Bangkok, Pattaya, Rayong, Ko Chang, Chachensao, Korat etc

<snip

I believe that with NCA the OP means NakornChaiAir.

AFAIK NCA doesn't go to as far as Chanthaburi but ends in Rayong.

• Like 1

<snip>

<snip

I believe that with NCA the OP means NakornChaiAir.

AFAIK NCA doesn't go to as far as Chanthaburi but ends in Rayong.

Yes I know NCAA as that and agree, they go only as far as Rayong. Pity, great service.

I personally like Chanthaburi as well ands am considering a place there.

A lot of questions. You are likely to fond many of the answers online and of course going for a visit would be a good idea.

Most things you mention are there in Chanthaburi, but for international and better English program schools you have to be near industrial and toerist areas that would mean in and around BKK, Chonburi and west-Rayong.

Same applies for access to some western food, restaurants and shopping and meeting other western people.

Home rental will be higher, but if you stay out of Pattaya and nearby places it's not that bad.

If you have a degree in teaching you may even be able to get a job on one of the international or bi-lingual schools, that have better salaries than the Thai schools and reduced school fees, the latter is not unimportant given the cost of proper education in Thailand.

• Like 1

I don't live in Chanthaburi but have spent a few weeks there at different times. Really like the city and province -- one of my favorites. The cultural make up and history are very intriguing; lots of old heritage buildings amid the narrow lanes in the Chanthaboon Old Town district, which is gradually being restored and turned into a tourist attraction (in a good way I'd say). The city has a lot of ethnic Vietnamese who are mostly Catholic from what I understand, explaining why the largest and probably most striking church in Thailand -- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception -- sits in the heart of town. Also a lot of Chinese shrines dotted around town. This was where General Thaksin regrouped before leading an army back to Ayutthaya to repel the Burmese back in 1767 and eventually became king, so a lot of pride about that and there's a shrine and large statue dedicated to him. Also the province was controlled by the French for 12 years in the early 1900s. Phenomenal food as well, especially crab and fruit; also don't miss the local dish, muu chamuang). As mentioned not many expats, which I felt made the city feel more welcoming to foreigners... Unlike in Pattaya, Udon Thani and elsewhere, the locals aren't used to seeing foreign males all the time and perhaps don't carry some of the prejudices that Thais in cities like that are more likely to have. Both Ko Chang and Ko Samet easily reached for a weekend for some Western comforts. I've usually gotten there by Chertchai Tour bus, not the best but gets the job done. Unfortunately no airport; there's one in Trat but I think it's only serviced by Bangkok Air. The roads that run the length of the Chanthaburi coastline are very scenic and some decent beaches there, like Chao Lao, which gets its share of European visitors in high season.

• Like 1

I used to spend some time in Chanthaburi regularly until a few years ago, so I am sure things have developed in terms of housing available as there was not much to have meeting Western standards but mostly rather simple abodes only. Most things about Chanthaburi have been mentioned here already, one thing you may consider is the weather, it get's rather wet in the rainy season, this area gets much more rain than in Chonburi, Bangkok, Hua Hin etc. Some areas including Chanthaburi city get flooded regularly. The upside of this is of course that it is greener here than elsewhere, generally Chanthaburi is a very fertile province with beautiful coastlines and a hilly hinterland.

• Like 2

notes

Bus transport imo is excellent

Government bus service, 214 baht Chan city-Suvarnabhumi 3hrs 10 min, use this one regularly

Plenty of other options to/from Bangkok - both Ekamai and Morchit stations, Cherdchai the biggest operator, plus of course minivans which we prefer to avoid

Housing

We moved due to Mrs O'Steen's job promotion/transfer to Chan city; never wanted to live there, it's not an attractive city and neither of us particularly like the place; we settled upon living 15km out (halfway to the beach at Chao Lao) we leased (year to year) a brand new 2 storey 2 bedroom standalone house.

3,500 baht per month, plus utilities

Stayed there three years

Moved this year, March, to a nicely renovated large single-storey house, more area around the house, secure and in a tidy little cul de sac with 6 other houses. Again a yearly lease, and again 3,500 baht per month.

It is no 'farang palace' - won't find many like that when there's so few foreigners

and . . . not easy to find - we jumped the queue due to my friendship with owner's son thru cycling club, we'd been searching for another place almost a year in our area. People stay put - or rent without needing to advertise.

Weather

Chan city didn't flood this year. A first, maybe, as a major flood diversion and water retention scheme diverted water from the Chan river. It worked!

Closer you get to the coast, less rain. It's a big province, and the hills (mountains they say!) of Soi Dao are 1550m above sea level. And they get rain, a lot of it. Was another factor in our choosing to live nearer the coast, see the big black clouds go past and empty over Chan city.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 2

Moved to East Thailand forum.

the beaches - Chao Lao, Laem Sadet, Laem Singh, Laem Mae Pim half hour or more,

i am interested in the beaches here ... do they have rent town house or similar for about 5000 baht ??.....are the beaches also over run with thai tourist on week ends ?????? simply there would you recommend to live there ?? thank you

Just forgot to mention about the border run. There are two options. Either Hat Lek or Poipet. I personaly prefer Hat Lek because it is not too busy.

Hat lek is in Trat province and Poipot is in Sa Kaeo, why are you going there, as Ban Laem is way way closer

Edit: Just noticed that gomangosteen beat me to it by a Mile :)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Just forgot to mention about the border run. There are two options. Either Hat Lek or Poipet. I personaly prefer Hat Lek because it is not too busy.

Hat lek is in Trat province and Poipot is in Sa Kaeo, why are you going there, as Ban Laem is way way closer

Edit: Just noticed that gomangosteen beat me to it by a Mile smile.png

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1487096611547078&set=vb.1423589291231144&type=2&theater Here is where I am.

• Like 2

Looks like good place to slowly die... a long way from anywhere. Hope you have at least one good hobby if retired.wai.gif

Beats quickly dying in the city! Who doesn't have many hobbies after exiting the workforce?? Start living and quit worrying about death.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...