Living in Chanthaburi. Would you recommend it?

ubonr1971

Water Buffalo - estimate there are approaching 150 resorts of varying standards/pricing along the long stretch of Chao Lao.

'On the beach' is limiting - it's a fairly narrow strip between the road/sea, also prices a lot higher as a consequence

I can't recommend hotels/resorts, however a good guideline re location will help you cut many out of consideration.

The 'north/Rayong' end of the beach is known as Laem Sadet, resorts here but the beach is generally better for surfcasting/kayaking than swimming, drops off to deep water very quickly, it is signposted as a 'no-swim area'

At the other, south/Trat end of Chao Lao, some nice looking resorts/hotels but the beach here is more akin to mudflats at times.

Go for the middle! Between the CL Pier and the beach in front of the intersection with the dugong roundabout has the best, cleanest, safest sections of beach.

As examples, the recently opened Blues River Resort in range 4-10,000b a night, pool, restaurant etc; across the road, Ton Wa resort we've had numerous friends stay there, 600-1200 a night for small chalet, 5min walk to beach.

tumblr_nhfb4wpJJm1r8w5s5o3_r1_500.jpg

Chao Lao - Laem Sadet in distance.

Lots of options, enjoy your stay.

• Like 2

I don't know re Chan city - told some of the hotels have pools available for casual users/non-guests but have not needed, as near us we have the Tha Mai pool/fitness park area. Tha Mai is 12km from central Chan city; it's a great facility to have, well-maintained and good staff.

tumblr_lzh5nrfU4F1r8w5s5o2_500.jpgtumblr_n4zaeo6CQc1r8w5s5o3_500.jpg

Tha Mai: A six-lane 25m pool, plus children’s pool. The next building houses an indoor gym, while outside there is an outdoor exercise park with 20 exercise stations, jogging track, children’s play area, two basketball courts, 5-aside football area, and regular weekly evening classes for aerobics and tai chi.
Each year the pool hosts the Chanthaburi Provincial Swimming Championships (usually in May); there are swim lessons held each day around 4-5.30pm which reserve three lanes.
Entry 40b adult, 10b children. Open Tues-Sun 1pm-7pm
Note: 'Proper' swim gear is a must - no shorts/t-shirts for females, bathing caps required; for males no baggy/board shorts
Male and female swim costumes and caps, towels, available for hire.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

One thing that nobody seems to have mentioned here is the air quality in Chanthaburi.

I have finally decided that, for the sake of my health, I need to relocate. My wife & I had our house built here in my wife`s village in Phetchabun 21 years ago but the air quality has become steadily worse, especially these last 10 years. The worst offenders by far are the backyard charcoal makers & then comes those who still burn their rubbish in open pits even though we have a brilliant twice weekly garbage collection at an annual cost of 440Bt. Less than it would cost them to fill their pick-up, but many refuse to pay it. My wife has given up complaining to our kamnan, who is a neighbour, as he does nothing about the pollution.

Is the air in Chanthaburi clean?

That`s what I need to know as Chanthaburi appeals on many fronts.

• Like 1

One thing that nobody seems to have mentioned here is the air quality in Chanthaburi.

I have finally decided that, for the sake of my health, I need to relocate. My wife & I had our house built here in my wife`s village in Phetchabun 21 years ago but the air quality has become steadily worse, especially these last 10 years. The worst offenders by far are the backyard charcoal makers & then comes those who still burn their rubbish in open pits even though we have a brilliant twice weekly garbage collection at an annual cost of 440Bt. Less than it would cost them to fill their pick-up, but many refuse to pay it. My wife has given up complaining to our kamnan, who is a neighbour, as he does nothing about the pollution.

Is the air in Chanthaburi clean?

That`s what I need to know as Chanthaburi appeals on many fronts.

Depends on what you mean by Chan?

Up in the hills of Soi Dao, city centre or by the sea?

I spend time outside the city in Tha Mai on a rubber farm, never had a problem..

I am surprised to hear the bad news of Phetchabun, after Chan, its probably one of my favourite areas of Thailand.

• Like 1

In Chan it doesn't seem so bad, nearer the sea side. Up around Soi Dao in the burning season as in now it seems pretty hazy for three months or so. Some of it is dust as the land gets very dry. It looks the same all the way from here up to Chai Badan last week. This year we've had major fires for the first time in 6 years, whole hills going up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year 2558, Laem Sing beach carnival, Chanthaburi

tumblr_nhfzqsM7vV1r8w5s5o1_r1_1280.jpg

Hey,

So we are heading to Laem Sing for Songkran, what should we expect?

I am travelling with wife and young child. We were hoping for a quiet Songkran (staying home doesn't provide that where we live, lol) and now i am wondering if there will be any wild parties on Laem Sing (we would want to avoid that, lol)

Thankswai2.gif

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Water Buffalo - estimate there are approaching 150 resorts of varying standards/pricing along the long stretch of Chao Lao.

'On the beach' is limiting - it's a fairly narrow strip between the road/sea, also prices a lot higher as a consequence

I can't recommend hotels/resorts, however a good guideline re location will help you cut many out of consideration.

The 'north/Rayong' end of the beach is known as Laem Sadet, resorts here but the beach is generally better for surfcasting/kayaking than swimming, drops off to deep water very quickly, it is signposted as a 'no-swim area'

At the other, south/Trat end of Chao Lao, some nice looking resorts/hotels but the beach here is more akin to mudflats at times.

Go for the middle! Between the CL Pier and the beach in front of the intersection with the dugong roundabout has the best, cleanest, safest sections of beach.

As examples, the recently opened Blues River Resort in range 4-10,000b a night, pool, restaurant etc; across the road, Ton Wa resort we've had numerous friends stay there, 600-1200 a night for small chalet, 5min walk to beach.

tumblr_nhfb4wpJJm1r8w5s5o3_r1_500.jpg

Chao Lao - Laem Sadet in distance.

Lots of options, enjoy your stay.

Going to Chao Lao in October and was wondering if there is an actual beach road? From what I see on google maps, 90% of the beach is blocked by resorts and can't be accessed. Looks really hard to park a car anywhere near unless at the north end of the beach.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There's no real beach road. In the pic above there's an unsealed section of road about 300m just behind those trees. Otherwise there are many lanes that go from the main road direct to the beach, with resorts either side but not 'private'

The private ones, and there are some, are gated, but all the beach is accessible on foot ie no resorts have made any claim on the beach in front of them

October. Likely to be jellyfish time and no swimming. Really does swarm with them the whole coast Trat, Chan and Rayong Sept/Oct and some years in to early November

There are a couple of threads about the 2014 jellyfish invasion

tumblr_mvfdqdKALJ1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I live in Na Yai Am, its about 30k to chanthaburi, I allways went thru the Pong Nam Ron immigration at Ban Laem to do the visa run, bit dangerous as there is a big market there and my missus likes to check both sides of border for bargains lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Views from same spot as.brianp's pic above, Noen Nangphaya one of four named 'viewing points' along Khung Wiman

Looking up the coast towards Rayong province

tumblr_nuek3sFxPM1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

and facing soouth-ish. Between the two headlands is the entry to Khung Krabaen,estuary about 8sq km, an eco environmental area accessed from the Chao Lao side, mangrove walks, bird watching, kayaking and a large horticulture demo farm, aquarium, marine education centre, all part of a Royal project

tumblr_nuek3sFxPM1r8w5s5o2_r1_1280.jpg

• Like 2

tumblr_nu5earGQnu1r8w5s5o1_r1_1280.jpg

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation has chosen Baan Luang Rajamaitri, the 150-year-old Sino-Portuguese former residence of a Thai aristocrat, which has been converted into a chic historic inn and local museum in Chanthaburi for an “Award of Merit” in the 2015 Asia-Pacific Heritage Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation.
According to Unesco, the adaptation of the former residence of local aristocrat Luang Rajamaitri into a 12-room heritage inn and museum sparked an awareness about heritage conservation among a wide range of stakeholders in Chanthaburi and catalysed a larger movement to revitalise the once-declining 150 year-old riverfront town. The enlistment of more than 500 shareholders to invest in the transformation of the house created an innovative new social enterprise model for urban heritage conservation. The well-executed restoration and adaptive reuse of the Sino-Portuguese building has turned it into the linchpin of an increasingly popular cultural tourism destination
For more information about the Unesco, AsiaPacific Heritage Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation and this year’s winning entries can be found at: www.UnescoBKK.org/culture/heritage/awards
  • Like 1

Not all 'perfect' coastline, there's this stretch of about 8km south of Paknam Khaem Nu towards Laem Sing which is more mudflat than beach

Certainly not for swimming. Outfalls from the many prawn and fish farms can at time turn the shallows almost black, this sediment contributing to the 'mud' effect.

tumblr_nurk2vVqnS1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good clean fun today. This temporary water park is in the rear carpark if Tesco Lotus in Chan city

Not many when it opened today 10am but by noon, a 40-60 minute wait for entry as numbers inside were limited

180 baht per child, and they loved it. Chan city is 30km to Chao Lao, the best beach along this coast, great when something like this comes to town

tumblr_o1t4ljxUyA1r8w5s5o7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1t4ljxUyA1r8w5s5o8_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1t4ljxUyA1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1t4ljxUyA1r8w5s5o2_1280.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Passed through chanthaburi again last weekend (been in soi dao then koh chang) on the way home to bkk and enjoyed revisiting the cathedral and strolling and eating in the old street just over the river, very charming. I've yet to meet any thai or farlang whose ever bothered to visit. We will be back for a proper visit soon. Lovely province.

Ps. Soi dao was a nice place to stay.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...