Norwegian found dead on Cha-Am beach

webfact

Norwegian found dead at beach in Thailand

cha.jpg
Photo: Ian Gratton/russavia @ WikiCommons

CHA-AM: -- A Norwegian in his sixties were found dead on Cha-am beach north of Hua Hin, Norwegian news site Thai Nytt reports.

In the afternoon Tuesday the 9th of December the body of a 60 year old Norwegian was found in the water off the beach of Cha-am and according to Thai Nytt the cause of death is not yet known, but bystanders are reported to have tried to give the man first aid.

The man is said to come from the central part of Norway and to be vacationing in Thailand. At the time of death there were smaller waves and a light wind at the shallow waters of Cha-am.

Story in Norwegian at www.thainytt.no

Source: http://scandasia.com/norwegian-found-dead-at-beach-in-thailand/

-- ScandAsia 2014-12-11

R.I.P..... now the umbrellas, deck chairs and assorted paraphernalia have gone, at least someone could find him on the sand....

must be a recent development. was there early september and still had the sand covered completely then. dont think the picture is chaam dont recall those large building there, but wasnt specifically looking.

Edited by heionus heretic

R.I.P..... now the umbrellas, deck chairs and assorted paraphernalia have gone, at least someone could find him on the sand....

must be a recent development. was there early september and still had the sand covered completely then. dont think the picture is chaam dont recall those large building there, but wasnt specifically looking.

The buildings are Springfield Condos and the Grand Condotel. The photo is taken from the south looking North. Yes, the umbrellas are still here unfortunately.

The buildings are Springfield Condos and the Grand Condotel. The photo is taken from the south looking North. Yes, the umbrellas are still here unfortunately.

ok see it now, the photo is taken from well south of what i consider to be chaam beach where the beach adornments are..

closer to main chaam beach looking north you wouldnt see those condos so had me misled.

these have not gone at all in Cha'am, only in Phuket, this is Petchburi province.

besides why the joke? he died alone, far from home and with a few strangers around him

I saw this reported on the local news channel, there was what looked like a Thai lady at the scene. who was extremely upset, i would think she was the man's wife. This could happen to anyone of us, and still we have keyboards posting on here that are not controlled by a brain.

RIP and my thoughts are with the family.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

Norwegian, probably drunk and died of heat stroke while sleeping it off. How callous of me but if you have met a lot of Norwegians it wouldn't surprise you either.

Been a <deleted> for a long time? You know nothing about the situation and you're defaming the deceased.

• Like 1

dukebowling, on 11 Dec 2014 - 21:46, said:
soalbundy, on 11 Dec 2014 - 16:38, said:

Norwegian, probably drunk and died of heat stroke while sleeping it off. How callous of me but if you have met a lot of Norwegians it wouldn't surprise you either.

Why aren't prejudice, bigoted and racist remarks stricken?

Come on moderators…do your job and ban this loser.

This happened just a few steps down the beach from where we were having pizza. A worker at the pizza shop had just left to go home and was stopped. She had pictures on her phone and she said she heard the man's wife (Thai) say he had consumed 1 beer and just went for a swim. He didn't look unhealthy to me. The winds are up in velocity now and there is a serious undertow--this is where 5 or 6 young Thais drowned last year about this time.

Ditto to mods.

Been a <deleted> for a long time? You know nothing about the situation and you're defaming the deceased.

Just to point out defamation only applies to living people.

Back to OP,

Poor chap, not all that old, hope he was enjoying his time in Thailand before it ended.

When I lived in HuaHin a Thai I went out for a sailing lesson. When I jokingly asked if there were any dangerous fish in the waters he told me about Chaam this time of year as some species of stingray come into the shallows to mate.

I dont remember hearing any warnings about it on the beach but he said the local fishermen know when to wear wellies in the shallow water. I dont know how dangerous the fish were but an elderly person is always at a higher risk from stings.

The man is said to come from the central part of Norway and to be vacationing in Thailand. At the time of death there were smaller waves and a light wind at the shallow waters of Cha-am.

Sounds like a peaceful way to go. Weird description.

When I lived in HuaHin a Thai I went out for a sailing lesson. When I jokingly asked if there were any dangerous fish in the waters he told me about Chaam this time of year as some species of stingray come into the shallows to mate.

I dont remember hearing any warnings about it on the beach but he said the local fishermen know when to wear wellies in the shallow water. I dont know how dangerous the fish were but an elderly person is always at a higher risk from stings.

more likely jellyfish. they have killer ones here and they have killed people in chaam beach area in the past. death usually occurs accompanied by lots of screaming in such cases. their sting is painful as well as deadly. any freshwater outlets to the beach make it more attractive to them.

Edited by heionus heretic

Back to OP,

Poor chap, not all that old, hope he was enjoying his time in Thailand before it ended.

Defamation of character: "Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person." http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Defamation+of+character

"the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny:" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/defamation?s=ts

Edited by smotherb

Don't want to generalize but the one Norwegian I once met in Thailand was a complete train wreck. First thing in the morning Mekong and no rubber when he took the ladies home.

I've had a hard day,what's your excuse. Don't use invective,it gets deleted and shows your lack of education.

Back to OP,

Defamation of character: "Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person." http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Defamation+of+character

"the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny:" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/defamation?s=ts

Yes, but they have to be alive, once dead you lose 'person' status, dead body is no longer person.

Don't want to generalize but the one Norwegian I once met in Thailand was a complete train wreck. First thing in the morning Mekong and no rubber when he took the ladies home.

What on earth has this do to with anything?? You want to fire up under that we Norwegians are all train wrecks?

I have been living in Thailand for more than 12 years all together, married and have a kid with my thai wife.

I have never consumed any alcohol in my life, nor have I smoked cigarettes. And I know a lot of people not drinking much.

Just because you know a Norwegian doing whatever, doesn`t mean we are all the same.

Shame on you and soalbundy.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

RIP to my fellow countryman. This was probably a tragic accident and lets hope he went without any pain. The Norwegian community in the Cha-am area are quite big and most are retired people spending the winter months in Thailand.

• Like 2