BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2015 Chiang Mai

As for the accuracy I have heard by people that they water down the sensors when doing readings and that they have seen pictures of it. They couldn't provide me with any and another matter would be verifying them. They could show me a garden hose watering a dipstick (to check a car's oil not pic. of your favorite TV nemesis) for all I know.

Would be interested to see one of these alleged pics if anyone has one.

I use common sense, mainly how I feel, and use check the readings daily to see how they vary from day to day, not just the numbers.

Unless PM 2.5 is actually measured its value is assumed, the technology to measure PM 2.5 is not cheap - perhaps they are in the process of upgrading their equipment.

I can only guess, but I doubt the value is extrapolated (from e.g. the PM10 value). If it was, it would not make sense to do it only for monitoring station 36, and not station 35, and all other stations.

No, I don't think it makes any sense to think the pm2.5 value is "assumed", while the other values are measured.

As I recall from debates on this subject over many years, it was always said that Thailand did not have technology in place to measure PM 2.5, in fact, up until about three years ago not many countries did, even Canada had only installed this capability in very recent years. Accepted practice for PM 2.5 measurement, prior to the introduction of the newer technology, was to derive a reading from the PM10 element although I have no idea exactly how this was accomplished and whether it was extrapolated or assumed - either way, the reading is not/was not actual.

According to a wikileaks article, Chiang Mai has had the ability to measure pm2.5 for many years: https://www.wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09CHIANGMAI38_a.html

That's very interesting, the public line was always that they didn't have the capability in place thus PM 2.5 numbers were assumed/extrapolated etc.:

"The PCD currently records but does not release these figure".

It really does seem better as a whole this year... *so far!* (I hope it lasts!) as far as readings and visibility goes. But I still wake up almost every morning to the thick smell of smoke... I guess that's just a matter of bad luck as to where I am in proximity to local fires and wind direction, or lack of (usually). The air is definitely brown also when you take off, there's a thick layer of it until you reach the blue above. Really gross.

I was cycling higher up today, out of the CM valley. Air was very clear. Returned to CM at lunchtime & it looked grotty, but cleared up later in the afternoon, thanks to some wind. Clear view of Doi Suthep from San Kamphaeng smile.png

I was cycling higher up today, out of the CM valley. Air was very clear. Returned to CM at lunchtime & it looked grotty, but cleared up later in the afternoon, thanks to some wind. Clear view of Doi Suthep from San Kamphaeng smile.png

I was also thinking how good the air was but last year it was March before the air got bad. Here is an article from March 15 last year.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mai-covered-smoke-4th-day

I was also thinking how good the air was but last year it was March before the air got bad. Here is an article from March 15 last year.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mai-covered-smoke-4th-day

You might want to take a look at the first page of the 2014 smoke topic as major complaints started at the end of December 2013. This year certainly much better so far from last year.

Updating firemap snapshot for today, 25 Feb 2015. Significantly greater fire density from the last snapshot I posted.

post-566-0-58754200-1424858140_thumb.jpg

Yes it really did start real early last year... December/Jan... I heard that might have been due to the Rice Pledging Scheme though... everyone wanted to get in on it and try to make three harvests instead of the usual two to make more money. That would have meant more burning, and why it was so early.

I'm watching my ap and the fire map and it does seem like things are beginning to ramp up. I think we're at the start of it now for this year, and is about to get very unpleasant. I wish for only one of two things at this time of year... Rain, or, wind!

Yes it really did start real early last year... December/Jan... I heard that might have been due to the Rice Pledging Scheme though... everyone wanted to get in on it and try to make three harvests instead of the usual two to make more money. That would have meant more burning, and why it was so early.

I'm watching my ap and the fire map and it does seem like things are beginning to ramp up. I think we're at the start of it now for this year, and is about to get very unpleasant. I wish for only one of two things at this time of year... Rain, or, wind!

Eat plenty of beans. At least one wish will be granted wink.png

I am reading a lot of different opinions on the smoke season. Ranging from people who barely noticed to people saying anyone who comes up north around March would be absolutely crazy. So it would be great if anyone else has some information, as we are planning to visit Chiang Mai (doing the Mae Hong Song loop) from the day after tomorrow...

Thanks in advance!

The following post was recently made under "Chiang Mai News and Events."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801780-chiang-mai-kicks-off-60-day-campaign-to-control-haze-and-wildfires/

Those who encounter any fire can inform the province by calling 053 112725-6 or hotline 191 around the clock. Police are offering a 5,000-baht reward for those who give information that leads to a capture of an offender. According to the news report, one person might have gotten a reward so far!!

Yesterday FIRMS reported a record 11 LOCAL fires --- and FIRMS misses most of them.

Never rmind Burma, Laos and Cambodia! Never mind the rest of Chiang Mai Province or any other province in Thailand!! Or even China, except for those Chinese tourists who smoke in restaurants!

I am reading a lot of different opinions on the smoke season. Ranging from people who barely noticed to people saying anyone who comes up north around March would be absolutely crazy. So it would be great if anyone else has some information, as we are planning to visit Chiang Mai (doing the Mae Hong Song loop) from the day after tomorrow...

Thanks in advance!

Should be ok. Not really kicked off yet.

Saw quite a few fires and large clouds of smoke up on the mountainside west of Mae Rim tonight. First time this year you can really taste it when you go outside, but it did appear that the wind was dispersing the smoke quite well.