BANGKOK 19 August 2019 21:15

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2015 Chiang Mai

The Government has really let people in the North down,every year

talk of crackdowns,now rewards if you report any burning,and nothing

ever happens,its all worthless talk,maybe if they took it seriously, made

an example of the worse violators with either a large fine or maybe better

a prison term,just to let those that set fires that they have to stop.

The pollution from the traffic increases ever year,add the forest fires,

Chiang Mai is not a pleasant place to be this time of year.

regards Worgeordie

Much less fires today as of the fire map. Anyway if in need Thai lion has some nice promotion for southbound flights right nowpost-183415-14253025321325_thumb.jpg

Much less fires today as of the fire map.

Definitely a large change for some reason. Updated firemap snapshot March 2, 2015. Maybe make a movie clip at the end of the season using the snapshots. biggrin.png

post-566-0-96685400-1425303143_thumb.jpg

Majority of the fires are Northern Cambodia,into southern Lao. and extreme western Thailand then Burma.

First time this year Doi Suthep disappears/is not visible. And I live not that far away at canal road.

Time to leave and go southbound....

If you are able to do so. I hear that New Zealand is a good place to be now.

Out of interest, where are those planning an escape going to, and how long do you plan to be away?

We've done Hua Hin (within driving distance, 10 hours later you're there), Samui (direct flights even if they're really expensive), Phuket (flights), Ko Chang.

Important criteria: Needs to be on the ocean. All inland places are just as polluted as up here.

We usually come back at or around Songkran, April 15th. The last 2 years that's when the first rains fell, and air improves quickly after that. Not immediately, but in a week or two.

and Air Asia have flights to Surat Thai and thence to Samui or the beaches adjacent.

Is running aircon while sleeping dangerous during burning season? I didnt have any respiratory issues last year. I am more concerned about long run health risks

I have fitted 3M micro filters onto my air con filters. These keep out dust, pollen and fine particles.

I have just started a routine of running the air con for about one hour, with windows and doors closed,so that at least some of the dust in the room is filtered out.

I'm afraid the luxury of sleeping with open windows at this time of the year is just not a good idea.

The level of incompetence and indifference towards this problem on part of official sites and institutions in Chiang Mai is quite stunning.

On Monday, children in our school were asked to exercise outside in the smog for hours, because it was scout day. My daughter came home with burning eyes and a headache.

Earlier, my wife actually went to the local Orbotor to report a fire that was burning in our direct neighbourhood. She encountered complete indifference and with a bunch of odd excuses (lack of evidence and witnesses were cited), nobody attended to the case.

Cheers, CM-Expat

The level of incompetence and indifference towards this problem on part of official sites and institutions in Chiang Mai is quite stunning.

On Monday, children in our school were asked to exercise outside in the smog for hours, because it was scout day. My daughter came home with burning eyes and a headache.

Earlier, my wife actually went to the local Orbotor to report a fire that was burning in our direct neighbourhood. She encountered complete indifference and with a bunch of odd excuses (lack of evidence and witnesses were cited), nobody attended to the case.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Yes, that Mai Pen Rai is a two-edged sword! Like anywhere the establishment (the farmers here) dislikes changes (unless it is of a benefit to them)! It could be ignorance. It could be greed or necessity! Are Thai TV programs really informing the public, in a meaningful way? Here is a video called "under the dome" that should help the Chinese know that they have a problem. Maybe it needs to be translated in Thai and shared on all of the social platforms (if allowed smile.png) ! Maybe it should be called "DUST in Thailand? Getting cancer in Chiang Mai? Smog in Thailand" not Mai Pen Rai?

Thanks Masuk :)

I might try that. where would I be able to purchase 3M micro filters?

Makro is out of stock. Home pro still have some filtrete 3m.i just bought some today.

The winds came up and the PM10 levels dropped like a rock so I got out for a mountain bike ride in the hills east of Mae Rim today. Unless you get out there, you don't know the extent of the local burning. You can ride for a 100 kilometers on these trails and this is what you will see. There were still stumps smouldering and all that smoke drifted into Chiang Mai over the last two days. Virtually all the forests in Northern Thailand are burned every year to induce mushroom growth or to clear more farm land. I talked with a red ant egg gatherer last week on these same trails and I expect he was the same person that lit the fires so he can harvest mushrooms when the rainy season comes. There is zero education or enforcement of burning laws as Thailand has bigger fish to fry, so don't expect any changes until a weather system pushes the smoke out like today. It was great to get a ride in during the smokey season where I normally hide in filtered air.

16092647553_dcd04d9501_z_d.jpg16526462969_2ce0d9f44b_z_d.jpg16711305071_f787a385d0_z_d.jpg

The winds came up and the PM10 levels dropped like a rock so I got out for a mountain bike ride in the hills east of Mae Rim today. Unless you get out there, you don't know the extent of the local burning. You can ride for a 100 kilometers on these trails and this is what you will see. There were still stumps smouldering and all that smoke drifted into Chiang Mai over the last two days. Virtually all the forests in Northern Thailand are burned every year to induce mushroom growth or to clear more farm land. I talked with a red ant egg gatherer last week on these same trails and I expect he was the same person that lit the fires so he can harvest mushrooms when the rainy season comes. There is zero education or enforcement of burning laws as Thailand has bigger fish to fry, so don't expect any changes until a weather system pushes the smoke out like today. It was great to get a ride in during the smokey season where I normally hide in filtered air.

Totally agree with Tdog , I live out on the Samorng rd , they burn here everyday , a local guy told me yesterday, not to worry, it's natural smoke , won't do u any harm!!!

I also rang the number to report fires, they told me if I was concerned I should go and help them put out fires

It's a lost cause the only solution is to move