New in Town 2

tom07

Hi, new in town here.

I'd be interested in meeting up with any arty or intellectual people - by which I mean people who earn (or earned) their living from the arts or their intellect in one form or another.

Have no interest in meeting any of the numerous foreign druggies (prescribed or otherwise) or alkies with artistic aspirations who plague northern Thailand, or self-procalimed "writers" and "bloggers".

A PM would be best.

• Like 1

You will find that Chiang Rai farangs are mostly retired blue collar workers living on fixed incomes from one country living on fixed incomes supporting a Thai woman and perhaps her family. Very few college graduates exist in the 700 resident farangs in the province.

I have unsuccessfully promoted a center for intellectual enlightenment with only 2 people interested. As a rule they were never available for our social meetings.

While living her and after retirement I have written one book and am working on the second. I only found one person who could help me review the draft of Merchant Of The Orient.

Having said these things there a lot of nice people in Chiang Rai from varied back grounds that are enjoyable to be around. They don't have to be college graduates to be interesting. One of my good friends is a former commercial fisherman who is a delightful person and has a lot of interesting sea stories.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That eliminates about most of us.

I had a dream once, about doing something artistic or maybe an intellectual. But then I arrived in Thailand.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif That's a good one Rich! Perhaps the OP would feel more at home on the Left coast of the U.S. as there are plenty of self described artsy and intellectual types there rolleyes.gif They tend to congregate in the same groups and one person tends to be more close minded than the next despite the fact that they pride themselves on being open minded, these artsy-(pseudo)intellectual types are among the most closed minded people that I have ever met in m y life thumbsup.gif

• 5 weeks later...

@ Don Battles,

your response is one of the few that actually addresses my post, so thanks for that. I believe you are an octogenarian, quite probably with more experience of the realities of making a living in Thailand than 99.99 % of TV contributors, and I respect you for that immensely.

I thank you for your reply, and I respect your opinions. I am sure that I could learn a lot from your experience here even though I don’t seem to share your political complexion.

cheers

Tom

re previous poster...

just to elaborate ....

I have many friends here...almost all Thai.... 50%+ of those have higher level degrees...the farangs i have met in general have barely finished secondary (12th grade in th r US system ) ... very very few foreigners have higher level education.... maybe u have ;-)

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

I haven't see enough of your posts to be prejudiced one way or another. But surely I'm not the only person here whot gets bored with tips on burgers and cheapness.

I don't agree with some of Don's political views (profoundly) (and I'm too posh to admit to liking burgers), but I also respect the fact (profoundly) that Don has more experience of business and earning a living here than anyone - bar none.

XXXX

• Like 1

I've only just read all of the responses to my original post. For what it's worth I have received no PMs.

There are many threads and subforums here aimed at the intellectually challenged, they do not interest me. I assume there may be one or two here who also hanker for somthing more than advice on shopping, bars and cheapness.

So let's cast the net a bit wider... I would be interested in responses from people with a a postgradurate degree....

This forum is supposed to be for information. I have never understood why people use it to attack each other. Would be better to send private messages or meet each at down on skid row in town to fight and argue your points. We need to seek knowledge and information. Just because someone has a different opinion does not make them wrong. I could live in this country another 30 years and I would never understand many things. For example the 4 basic languages plus 22 different minority languages makes it hard for a western person to be able to communicate let alone understand. Many people talk about how many Thai friends they have. I think they mean Thai acquaintances. How many of your Thai friends have invited you to come to their home for a formal meal at a western style table? For me it has only been 1 and it was in Bangkok. However, for village events I have been invited to many meals at the events and all were enjoyable. Especially those at the Wat. This kind of friendship and companionship is what Thai culture is more about.

Lets try harder to make this forum for helping each other.

• Like 2

I got up a bit late so seem to have missed what all the fuss was about, but that is just as well I suppose.

Donald, thanks for a very thoughtful reply and I would say our best friendships are with our Thai friends. We are not only invited to dine with them but to stay at their homes in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and overseas. Depending on the purpose of our visit we may opt for a hotel, instead. Since I don’t drink I usually find it better for all concerned if I only make a brief appearance at village events before making excuses and returning to my quiet home to take care of the house and pets.
Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

New in Town and already making lots of friends - NOT! Agree with Don's post (Nbr 21). However, the OP sort of painted himself into a corner with his first post. Like I always say to our visitors - education comes in many forms. Having a degree (BS - Bull S@#%, MS - More S@#$, PhD - Piled High and Deep) is one form of education BUT NOT the only form of education. It might be better if you paid a little bit more R E S P E C T you might be surprised by how much more your life would be enriched by people who are "Less" educated than yourself.

• Like 2

New in Town and already making lots of friends - NOT! Agree with Don's post (Nbr 21). However, the OP sort of painted himself into a corner with his first post. Like I always say to our visitors - education comes in many forms. Having a degree (BS - Bull S@#%, MS - More S@#$, PhD - Piled High and Deep) is one form of education BUT NOT the only form of education. It might be better if you paid a little bit more R E S P E C T you might be surprised by how much more your life would be enriched by people who are "Less" educated than yourself.

Frankly I am not convinced that it isn't just a troll. Move to a new town and announce on your 19th post that you consider yourself better than an entire group of people you have never met....not exactly the way to make new friends SOME of whom might actually have higher degrees and more overall education than the OP....not to mention better people skills.

As I learned long ago don't get too impressed with degrees....the next time your car breaks down you might have to lower yourself to find a mechanic who never even went to high school to repair it for you. I know a lot of people with advanced degrees who barely have enough common sense to change a light bulb.

EINSTEIN: From elementary school through college, his teachers and professors thought him lazy, sloppy, and insubordinate. Many of his teachers thought he would never amount to anything.

• Like 1

Op, you need to change your attitude and start showing more respect to the 'slower' members. tongue.png

But, don't worry. They can't hurt you. Censorship and stern lectures are their only weapons.

“To be ignorant of one’s ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.” —Amos Bronson Alcott

I have a postgradurate degree related to encryption. As educated as you think you are I doubt you would be able to keep up with me in my field. Anyway I do not think you are a person who I would enjoy talking with assuming you are not just a troll.

Lol,

Given the difficulties of internet where I am, there may be some glitches. I’m sure u 1st world ppl wld understand that, or not J

Ok the skinny is simple…

I respect people that respect other ppl’s culture

I respect no-one else.

Why do all u ageing expats have so much difficulty in living in a different culture?

nice to see someone else with a postgtrad, we are a the tip of the top lol

oh i forgot the name of the belgian guy who funded the flintstones football rehearsal place in mae sai

I lurv yr car pix so much, I, mean so sexy. Now, I have read a few posts from u posh geezers here. I'm a bit confused. Should I hire a valet for my super sports car or use my own elbow grease , ty in ultra humbleness xxxx

u are as free as your hamburger :-)

Most farangs in Chiang Rai are very clannish. They live here for many years and never take the time to learn the language. They can hardly leave their home without the help of their Thai partners. Can't order, can't negotiate and can't understand.

As a clan, they are so tied up in their on little clan that spends all of it's time talking about where they came from and what the local news is where they came from.

How can anyone enjoy a life where they can't speak, read or write the language and depend on someone else for most Thai things they need or do. If they spent half the time studying the language and culture as they do in the bars on skid row how much more life could mean to them.

• Like 2

Most farangs in Chiang Rai are very clannish. They live here for many years and never take the time to learn the language. They can hardly leave their home without the help of their Thai partners. Can't order, can't negotiate and can't understand.

As a clan, they are so tied up in their on little clan that spends all of it's time talking about where they came from and what the local news is where they came from.

How can anyone enjoy a life where they can't speak, read or write the language and depend on someone else for most Thai things they need or do. If they spent half the time studying the language and culture as they do in the bars on skid row how much more life could mean to them.

Careful there Don, that almost reads like smoothing I might write, and we all know how much those clannish guys like me. Many of the problems I read about on TVF wouldn't be a problem if the poster simply spoke Thai, in my humble opinion of course.

Edited by villagefarang