Avoid Yellow Bus Service to Mukdahan Visa Run

losworld

Greetings fellow members. Just wanted to post a bit about my experience with the Yellow Bus Company (www.iloveyellowbus.com) which does a VIP run from Pattaya to Mukdahan. I had taken this service before and did not want to do it again but had little choice when an alternate method of transport cancelled last minute. The only thiing slick about this company is its nice happy website which is hardly indicative of its service.

I went to the Pattaya north bus station and booked two tickets based on the advice of the lady in the booth and the innacurate information on the website which said an arrival time of approximately 9 pm. or sooner. Around 12 hours to go around 750 kilometeres should be plenty of time as you can go bus from Pattaya to Phuet in around 14 hours.

So I bought a ticket for Monday night figuring on arriving around 8-9 am the next day which leaves me enough time to go to the Savahnakket Consulate and get my visa then return on the ticket for the 7 pm bus I had purchased for Tuesday night. Boy was I wrong.

I arrived at the station Monday night late but still okay at approximately 8.55 pm. I know that Chan tours will wait and actually call you well not Yellow Bus. As I walked to the bus parking area I saw a large yellow bus leaving without me. I waved and the bus continued onward. I had to literally jump in front of it and stop the driver who was angry as I got on board.

Once on the bus I could quickly see this is not a real vip bus like those from Chan tours or NakonChai Air but a painted old beater with plastic seats and tight configuration. The only claim of any relation to a vip bus was the footrest which popped open. Additionally there are no air vent controls you can adjust and no reading lights working.

After listening to the bus driver and his assistant talking very very loudly for much of the night we arrived around 10.30 too late for the consulate and visa. It took approximately 13.5 hours!!!! Now because Constitituion day was the next day I was stuck in Laos for two nights. Next day I called Yellow Bus asking for a return ticket because I missed the consulate and could not use the Tuesday ticket. The two reps declined and would not even hold a seat for me as I could not pay from Laos with no 7-11 or connectivity. They did nothing to help.

So on Thursday night I grudgingly went to yellow bus and purchased my third 720 baht ticket for the 7 pm bus which interestingly did not arrive until 8 am the next day that is 13 hours!!! I can get there faster on a Honda Click.

Interestingly on the way back there was an older tomboy type stewardess working inside the bus. The bus was around 90 percent full and many thais brought their own blankets. I was wearing shorts and asked for a second blanket to keep warm. She rudely refused me saying only one blanket per person.

TAKE MY WORD IF GOING TO SAVANNAKHET FOR A VISA RUN FROM PATTAYA GO TO BANGKOK MO CHIT THERE ARE REAL VIP BUSES THAT ONLY TAKE 10 HOURS AND ARE GREAT COMFORT AND SERVICE. This is the route I will go next time. Enough with Yellow Bus Company for me. You will also see other reporrts on the interent not recommending this service.

Been on this bus from Bkk a few times. Last time it broke down on the motorway about one hour from Bkk, time before that it broke down as well. Can feel very cramped if they are full and they only seem to stop at their own crappy stations for eating and drinking. At the front they have a few larger VIP seats, but not worth the extra and sometimes they fill the aisle up with plastic seats, dangerous and probably illegal. Horrible.

• 1 year later...

Greetings fellow members. Just wanted to post a bit about my experience with the Yellow Bus Company (www.iloveyellowbus.com) which does a VIP run from Pattaya to Mukdahan. I had taken this service before and did not want to do it again but had little choice when an alternate method of transport cancelled last minute. The only thiing slick about this company is its nice happy website which is hardly indicative of its service.

I went to the Pattaya north bus station and booked two tickets based on the advice of the lady in the booth and the innacurate information on the website which said an arrival time of approximately 9 pm. or sooner. Around 12 hours to go around 750 kilometeres should be plenty of time as you can go bus from Pattaya to Phuet in around 14 hours.

So I bought a ticket for Monday night figuring on arriving around 8-9 am the next day which leaves me enough time to go to the Savahnakket Consulate and get my visa then return on the ticket for the 7 pm bus I had purchased for Tuesday night. Boy was I wrong.

I arrived at the station Monday night late but still okay at approximately 8.55 pm. I know that Chan tours will wait and actually call you well not Yellow Bus. As I walked to the bus parking area I saw a large yellow bus leaving without me. I waved and the bus continued onward. I had to literally jump in front of it and stop the driver who was angry as I got on board.

Once on the bus I could quickly see this is not a real vip bus like those from Chan tours or NakonChai Air but a painted old beater with plastic seats and tight configuration. The only claim of any relation to a vip bus was the footrest which popped open. Additionally there are no air vent controls you can adjust and no reading lights working.

After listening to the bus driver and his assistant talking very very loudly for much of the night we arrived around 10.30 too late for the consulate and visa. It took approximately 13.5 hours!!!! Now because Constitituion day was the next day I was stuck in Laos for two nights. Next day I called Yellow Bus asking for a return ticket because I missed the consulate and could not use the Tuesday ticket. The two reps declined and would not even hold a seat for me as I could not pay from Laos with no 7-11 or connectivity. They did nothing to help.

So on Thursday night I grudgingly went to yellow bus and purchased my third 720 baht ticket for the 7 pm bus which interestingly did not arrive until 8 am the next day that is 13 hours!!! I can get there faster on a Honda Click.

Interestingly on the way back there was an older tomboy type stewardess working inside the bus. The bus was around 90 percent full and many thais brought their own blankets. I was wearing shorts and asked for a second blanket to keep warm. She rudely refused me saying only one blanket per person.

TAKE MY WORD IF GOING TO SAVANNAKHET FOR A VISA RUN FROM PATTAYA GO TO BANGKOK MO CHIT THERE ARE REAL VIP BUSES THAT ONLY TAKE 10 HOURS AND ARE GREAT COMFORT AND SERVICE. This is the route I will go next time. Enough with Yellow Bus Company for me. You will also see other reporrts on the interent not recommending this service.

I know this is a old Thread but did you take this route the next time and was it OK? also can I book my ticket on line Bangkok to Mundhan?

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You have to take the 6pm bus. If you check carefully some of the busses take a more direct route. You can choose where you want to sit when you buy the ticket and downstairs is the best. Stop at the chemist in pattaya and get some valium and there trip isnt that bad.

You have to take the 6pm bus. If you check carefully some of the busses take a more direct route. You can choose where you want to sit when you buy the ticket and downstairs is the best. Stop at the chemist in pattaya and get some valium and there trip isnt that bad.

Thanks, do you what time the bus gets there? and can I book the bus in advance with out going to Bangkok?

Thanks

This is the bus from pattaya to mukdahan. Its gets there about 8am and you get to the embassy about 10am. No need to goto bangkok. You can buy the ticket a day or two before.

Oh I see thanks a lot

They have 4 or 5 buses that make the trip every night. Now I live in Issan & actually see the buses en route to Muk in the AM & sometimes see them heading South, toward Pattaya, also in the AM, if I happen to be on Hwy 212.

Some are old beaters & some are newer double deck, with the very big seats (only 9) below. Unsure if the double deck is available on every route or just 1 or 2. These seats are more expensive, naturally.

The buses all take a different route after they stop for the break just North of Nang Rong. I have mistakenly taken an early bus, assuming it would get in earlier, only to have the trip take almost 15 hours. Yes, 15 hours. Never again. And yes, they crank the AC & the blankets are small...and thin. But what would you expect.

The OP suggested leaving from Morchit & 10 hours to Muk. Add the travel time from Pattaya to Morchit, waiting at Morchit, and the yellow bus probably takes less time.

Once they leave Nang Rong, heading for Muk, they all go a different way and they stop at EVERY town that has a bus station, to either drop passengers and/or freight. It's not VIP, which I assumed meant big seats and direct. Not so.

I took the bus twice. I thought it would be easier. Never again.

I can drive, from Muk to Hwy 7 in Pattaya, by myself (fewer stops, no sightseeing or stopping to eat - put some bottles of water & some sandwiches in a cooler) in 8 and a half hours. I leave at 4 AM and arrive at lunch time. I do have to stop for fuel once, about 2 hours out. That 8.5 hours includes 2 pee stops & 1 fuel & pee stop. If you are curious, I take the scenic route...Muk - Yasothan - Burriram - Nang Rong - Wattana Nahkon - Sa Kaeo - Pattaya. Good roads & minimal traffic. Many stretches of 4 lane.

I asked a cab driver in Bangkok (he was from Issan - shocking, I know) once, what he would charge to take me to Muk. He said 5000 Bt.

So....take the bus for less than 1000 BT, hire a cab for 5000 BT or so, rent a car and drive, buy a car and drive, or take the bus or a taxi to Suvarnabhumi, fly Laos Air to Savannahket, cost unknown (Air Asia charges about 1400to 1800 Bt, round trip, from DMK to Ubon, so use that as a guide).

Point is that there are options. If your option is cheap, the Yellow Bus rules. If time is most important, Laos Air is your friend.

What do you expect for 700 Bt? That's about $20.00 US. What you save in Baht, you spend in other ways. There's always a trade off, right?

They have 4 or 5 buses that make the trip every night. Now I live in Issan & actually see the buses en route to Muk in the AM & sometimes see them heading South, toward Pattaya, also in the AM, if I happen to be on Hwy 212.

Some are old beaters & some are newer double deck, with the very big seats (only 9) below. Unsure if the double deck is available on every route or just 1 or 2. These seats are more expensive, naturally.

The buses all take a different route after they stop for the break just North of Nang Rong. I have mistakenly taken an early bus, assuming it would get in earlier, only to have the trip take almost 15 hours. Yes, 15 hours. Never again. And yes, they crank the AC & the blankets are small...and thin. But what would you expect.

Once they leave Nang Rong, heading for Muk, they all go a different way and they stop at EVERY town that has a bus station, to either drop passengers and/or freight. It's not VIP, which I assumed meant big seats and direct. Not so.

I took the bus twice. I thought it would be easier. Never again.

I can drive, from Muk to Hwy 7 in Pattaya, by myself (fewer stops, no sightseeing or stopping to eat - put some bottles of water & some sandwiches in a cooler) in 8 and a half hours. I leave at 4 AM and arrive at lunch time. I do have to stop for fuel once, about 2 hours out.

I asked a cab driver in Bangkok (he was from Issan - shocking, I know) once, what he would charge to take me to Muk. He said 5000 Bt.

So....take the bus for less than 1000 BT, hire a cab for 5000 BT or so, rent a car and drive, buy a car and drive, or take the bus or a taxi to Suvarnabhumi, fly Laos Air to Savannahket, cost unknown (Air Asia charges about 1400to 1800 Bt, round trip, from DMK to Ubon, so use that as a guide).

Point is that there are options. If your option is cheap, the Yellow Bus rules. What do you expect for 700 Bt? That's about $20.00 US. What you save in Baht, you spend in other ways. There's always a trade off, right?

I am booked on the 18.00 bus 5.90THB bad ideal? I can rough it so I am hoping I will be ok

Where is a safe place to leave your car in mukdahan when you got to savanaket for 2 days?

I think there is a big parking area just before the border-control on the Thai side.

I parked there a few years ago.

I think there are minivan-services across the border as well. A few offices that take care.

So just before the border-crossing on the left side.

GPS 16°36'07.6"N 104°43'26.6"E

Where is a safe place to leave your car in mukdahan when you got to savanaket for 2 days?

Yes, there is a lot on the left just before the bridge, but I couldn't say how safe it is. There is no security that I am aware of. The last time I was down that way, cars were double & triple parked. No idea how the most blocked in car was able to get out. Maybe they had to wait a few days until the miscreants moved their cars. Who knows?

Why not just drive over the bridge to Laos? If you don't have a leinholder on you car (you own it outright) go to the DMV wherever you are & get the small purple passport book for your car. It only costs 50Bt and is good for a year. They actually drive on the correct side of the road over there, so that would be a pleasant change.

if you do make monthly payments, your leinholder can give them a letter saying it's OK for you to take the car out of the country. I'm sure it helps if all your payments have been made on time.

I never go to Laos, but I have the automobile passport book anyway, and get it renewed every year. It's good peace of mind to know that if the excrement hits the rotating & oscillating device here in LOS, I can be across the bridge (with as much stuff as I can cram into my truck) in less than an hour. It gave me great peace of mind when the redshirts were burning government buildings here in Issan.

You never know when the attitude of the locals or the government will suddenly turn violent toward us Feerineers.

>>I am booked on the 18.00 bus >>5.90THB << bad ideal? I can rough it so I am hoping I will be ok .

Wow thats cheap .You on the roof ?

Haha sorry I mean 590THB, I was drunk when I did that post.

>>I am booked on the 18.00 bus >>5.90THB << bad ideal? I can rough it so I am hoping I will be ok .

Wow thats cheap .You on the roof ?

Haha sorry I mean 590THB, I was drunk when I did that post.

Might be a better trip if you are drunk. As an example Chan Tours and Nakhon Chai Air offer real VIP buses at a lesser cost than those yellow buckets.

• 4 months later...

The Yellow Bus Company does not offer longer VIP buses from Pattaya. They call it now Express buses. I paid 695 Baht to Mukdahan. When you book, make sure you get a seat at the under deck. I'm 190cm tall and had enough leg room. Imo, nothing wrong with that Yellow line buses.

20 hours ago, Rimmer said:

An off topic post has been removed, topic is about 'Yellow Bus Service to Mukdahan' not airline pilots

Understandable: Some bus drivers look like air-pilots and they for sure drive a bus as if it was a Boeing Dreamliner. 

Apart from that; it seems that the Yellow Bus service has improved over the years, but apart from "just" booking a ticket it's also very smart to inquire about connections, transfers from border to consulate, opening hours of consulate, lead-time of submitting visa at the consulate, etc, etc.......

3 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

apart from "just" booking a ticket it's also very smart to inquire about connections, transfers from border to consulate, opening hours of consulate, lead-time of submitting visa at the consulate, etc, etc.......

Sure, and for that Thaivisa.com is great.

Archived