Chiang Mai 90 Day By Post

This has been covered in much, much detail in the Chiang Mai forum. Registered letter not EMS. Yes. definitely do the 90 day report by mail, be sure to mail in 14 days in advance of the due date. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/

Thanks NancyL

I did click on to the link you supplied and contrary to you, Admin are saying EMS?

I know various reporting options are available and I guess both forms of postage will do the trick, I'm just interested which way is preferred and previously used by members.

J.

This has been covered in much, much detail in the Chiang Mai forum. Registered letter not EMS. Yes. definitely do the 90 day report by mail, be sure to mail in 14 days in advance of the due date. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/

Thanks NancyL

I did click on to the link you supplied and contrary to you, Admin are saying EMS?

I know various reporting options are available and I guess both forms of postage will do the trick, I'm just interested which way is preferred and previously used by members.

J.

Members have used both methods...according to some, registered mail is faster than EMS.

I used EMS for the 90-day in Chiang Mai. The postal clerk told me that immigration would get the letter the next day, and I got the receipt back in three business days.

Not sure why there are some that insist that one must use Registered mail. Registered mail and EMS (Express Mail Service) are both forms of registered mail and both suitable. The immigration site refers to using registered mail but I would say they are referring generically to a track&trace and signatured service. EMS tracks the mail for every stop on the way whereas Registered only the start point and arrival point are tracked.

As Duvidl, I used EMS (Chiang Mai) and from the time I posted it in the morning to arrival in my mailbox at home was exactly 3 days. Arrived at immigration within 24 hours.

BTW, I used standard, 5 baht, postage on my SAE and still only 3 days turn around.

I used EMS for the 90-day in Chiang Mai. The postal clerk told me that immigration would get the letter the next day, and I got the receipt back in three business days.

Not sure why there are some that insist that one must use Registered mail. Registered mail and EMS (Express Mail Service) are both forms of registered mail and both suitable. The immigration site refers to using registered mail but I would say they are referring generically to a track&trace and signatured service. EMS tracks the mail for every stop on the way whereas Registered only the start point and arrival point are tracked.

As Duvidl, I used EMS (Chiang Mai) and from the time I posted it in the morning to arrival in my mailbox at home was exactly 3 days. Arrived at immigration within 24 hours.

BTW, I used standard, 5 baht, postage on my SAE and still only 3 days turn around.

As Tywais posts, with the exception of Immigration saying 10baht postage on the return. Obviously 5 baht worked for Tywais and many others.

From the Immigration bureau web site:

Notification by registered mail

1. Photocopy of passport pages with following pages

- front page showing name / surname / Passport No., ect.

- current visa

- last entry stamp of immigration

- last extension of visa

2. Photocopy of departure card TM.6 click to view Example TM.6 card
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any) click to view Example document
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47 click to view Example document (Don't forget to sign name.)
  5. Envelope with 10 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.

Send the mail before the renewal date 15 days to Immigration office

Notice :

- Your registered mail must be sent to the Immigration office at least 15 days before the due date of notification.

- Your new form will be stamped as of the expiration date of your old receipt.

- Please keep your receipt of your registered mail in case of lost mail.

- Your document can not be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. ( You must come to the nearest immigration office or Immigration Division 1 in person to pay fine 2,000 Baht)

- Waiting for reply mail over 1 month, please contact Immigration Office with your registered mail receipt.

Edited by hml367

and from the Frequently Asked Questions of the Chiang Mai Immigration site:

8. Question : Is there any other way to make 90 days notification of address if not notifying in person or by agent? If so,what are documents required and procedure?

Answer : In case of not notifying in person or by agent, the alien could notify his/her address every 90 days by sending registered post. Required documents and procedures are as follow ;

1. Photocopy of the alien passport on pages of front page (name, surname, date of issue, expired date etc.) , current visa , latest arrival stamp of immigration, and the current stamp of extention of temporary stay.
  2. Photocopy of departure card (TM.6) both sides.
  3. The original of the latest receipt of 90 days notification (if any, in case of no departure)
  4. Filling up the Form TM.47 and signed by the alien.
  5. Stamped addressed envelop (size 6.5X9 inches) attached with at least 10 Baht stamp in order to send back the receipt and new form (TM47) to the alien.
Enclose all documents from 1-5 in the envelope which must be sent by registred post to the Immigration Office located in the same area of the alien’s residence. Such documents have to be sent in advance not shorter than 7 days before the due date. ( the receipt of the said registered post must be kept as evidence)

As Tywais posts, with the exception of Immigration saying 10baht postage on the return. Obviously 5 baht worked for Tywais and many others.

Not sure how immigration came up with 10 Baht as that is not in the postal service postage cost list. From 1 to 20 gms it is 3 baht, from 20-100 gms it is 5 baht from 100-250 it is 9 baht then next step up is 15 baht.

A typical envelope weighs 6.75 grams. Since a sheet of paper weighs 4.5 grams, a typical letter weighs at least 11.25 grams.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8506228_weight-standard-envelope.html

//edit - noticed immigration indicates sending receipt and new form back but have only had the receipt returned, less than half sheet of paper.

• Like 1

8. Question : Is there any other way to make 90 days notification of address if not notifying in person or by agent? If so,what are documents required and procedure?

Answer : In case of not notifying in person or by agent, the alien could notify his/her address every 90 days by sending registered post. Required documents and procedures are as follow ;

1. Photocopy of the alien passport on pages of front page (name, surname, date of issue, expired date etc.) , current visa , latest arrival stamp of immigration, and the current stamp of extention of temporary stay.
  3. The original of the latest receipt of 90 days notification (if any, in case of no departure)
  5. Stamped addressed envelop (size 6.5X9 inches) attached with at least 10 Baht stamp in order to send back the receipt and new form (TM47) to the alien.
Enclose all documents from 1-5 in the envelope which must be sent by registred post to the Immigration Office located in the same area of the alien’s residence. Such documents have to be sent in advance not shorter than 7 days before the due date. ( the receipt of the said registered post must be kept as evidence)

Old information in that FAQ and part of it just a copy of main BKK immigration website. The current minimum window is 15 days before expiration.

Old information in that FAQ and part of it just a copy of main BKK immigration website. The current minimum window is 15 days before expiration.

Yep! The main Immigration site has the 15 days indicated. (Post #7)

Edited by hml367