Samui Times readers invited to turn the Expat Food Shop into their own Fantasy Food Shop

Lite Beer

Samui Times readers invited to turn the Expat Food Shop into their own Fantasy Food Shop

expat-store-2-168x300.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- The opening of the Expat Food Shop has been a bit of a dream come true for many Brits and other expats living in Koh Samui, and although some goods can be found in other places there is no other place that has so many imported goods under one roof.

In the same way that people play Fantasy Football the Samui Times team thought it would be fun to ask our readers what they would stock in their own Fantasy Food Store and produce a list for the Expat shop to source and keep expanding and make all of our shopping fantasies come true!

So what is inside so far? Well for a start everybody’s favorite Walkers Crisps in a variety of flavors including salt and vinegar, roast chicken, cheese and onion , pickled onion, prawn cocktail, ready salted, Worcester sauce, other snacks include wotsits, quavers, monster munch and Nobys nuts.

Other delights to be found on the shelves? Well how about a full range of Robinson drinks, a full range of Sharwoods Indian sauces, Branston baked beans, Harry Ramsdons mushy peas, a full range of Master foods packet cooking sauces and Fray Bentos Pies, if you have a sweet tooth head for the section with Bassets jelly babies if savory is your thing then Marmite and Branston pickle should do you! If you fancy a treat then help yourself to some Ambrosia Devon custard or creamed rice or some HP or A1 sauce, cans of Heinz soups also made the journey along with McDougalls flour, Hovis flour, golden syrup and Sarsons vinegar. If you like gravy then the Bisto comes in beef, vegetable, chicken and turkey as well as white sauce and parsley sauce. And of course you can wash it all down with the awesome flavor of PG Tips

There are more items coming soon, including some delicious pies baked to UK recipes in Phuket, Cadburys chocolate from the UK and the ultra delicious Cadbury’s crème eggs.

But what would you like to see? Please send your suggestions to [email protected] and don’t forget to like the Expat Food Store Facebook page to get updates on new products in store by clicking here

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-12-13

One post suggests, "...Crappy Brit food. Oh Joy!" However, no alternative is suggested or presented. Food from the States? Not the best as obesity seems to originate from fast/snack foods from there. Examples include most snack foods, most fast foods (from outlets only interested in profit), soda drinks high in sugar content, and the list goes on. I leave it at that and let the reader decide.

To the uninformed, Villa, Foodland, and Tesco, have many imported products including various stock cubes (Bisto, Knorr. etc) as well as biscuits (I just bought Custard Creams and Bourbons from Lotus-Tesco), and - surprise, surprise PICKLED ONIONS - among other products. TOPS also brings in stuff from many countries including cheeses, deli products and a host of other things.

If you are too lazy to seek out things, do not rely on others to do it for you. (This is just the only list I will supply as others have their own.)

nuf sed. thanx all. pladuk aka travellingchef

One post suggests, "...Crappy Brit food. Oh Joy!" However, no alternative is suggested or presented. Food from the States? Not the best as obesity seems to originate from fast/snack foods from there. Examples include most snack foods, most fast foods (from outlets only interested in profit), soda drinks high in sugar content, and the list goes on. I leave it at that and let the reader decide.

To the uninformed, Villa, Foodland, and Tesco, have many imported products including various stock cubes (Bisto, Knorr. etc) as well as biscuits (I just bought Custard Creams and Bourbons from Lotus-Tesco), and - surprise, surprise PICKLED ONIONS - among other products. TOPS also brings in stuff from many countries including cheeses, deli products and a host of other things.

If you are too lazy to seek out things, do not rely on others to do it for you. (This is just the only list I will supply as others have their own.)

Pretty silly contradiction this>One post suggests, "...Crappy Brit food. Oh Joy!" However, no alternative is suggested or presented. Food from the States? < How about nice savory spicy Thai food?????

Crappy Brit food. Oh Joy!

Do you eat anything other than bananas? biggrin.png

Very harsh innuendo there carmale... Ask any N American how they like tasteless British food before you go off with Union Jack pride in zero chefs kitchens again from your commoners perspective where half the melting pot of global nations have taken over your streets.

Edited by poweratradio

I am on old man and I don't recognise any of the brand names mentioned ?

Of course many things get a little lost in translation here !

Here's three othe most famous on the list,and date in business from.

Heinz 1901

Fray Bentos 1899

OXO 1908

Hope this jogs your memory! smile.png

Crappy Brit food. Oh Joy!

Do you eat anything other than bananas? biggrin.png

Very harsh innuendo there carmale... Ask any N American how they like tasteless British food before you go off with Union Jack pride in zero chefs kitchens again from your commoners perspective where half the melting pot of global nations have taken over your streets.

Not harsh at all. Harsh would have been asking if they were one of the furry stars of the late much loved PG Tips adverts.

Anyway, i digress, with regards the good old U S of AI would ask N Americans about the obesity rates in their country. Never have i seen so many grossly over weight kids in the "home of fast food" What is it with the american obsession with fast "junk" food?!

In generalizing British food as bland is a simple case of showing your ignorance. Do you have anything constructive to add to the thread?

Sounds like the small out of the way siam expat foods recently opened on the darkside of pattaya. Got most if not all of what was mentioned, plus pickled onion monster munch for thaddeus.

Popped in for the first time yesterday, couldnt afford toneat it everyday but good for an occasional taste of home.

• Like 2

Pretty silly contradiction this>One post suggests, "...Crappy Brit food. Oh Joy!" However, no alternative is suggested or presented. Food from the States? < How about nice savory spicy Thai food?????

I am not sure if you noticed but the thread is about an Expat Food Shop. When my wife was with me in Germany she used to go to the Thai food shop to get (for her) Thai Expat food.

If you want nice savoury spicy Thai food in Thailand you wouldn't NEED to go to an Expat Food shop to buy it as there will be plenty of local places to do so.

• Like 1