Baits in the wild

garrya

What baits work best for non-predatory freshwater fish? Locals tend to swear on bread, but it doesn't seem to give the desired results. I have tried earthworms, dead fish, shrimp, rice products and a couple of processed meat products. I have had very limited results. Any more suggestions?

• Like 1

I don't have an answer for you as I too find it incredibly hard to catch fish in the wild. Best is to tap into local knowledge or copy what the local folks do. I've seen guys with up to 20 rods set up by the banks and all use 'lam' (dough balls) on coil feeders and even then their results aren't good. But occasionally they do land some very good sized carp like Rohu over 5 or 6 kg. Generally they get smallish catfish.

• Like 1

Thanks. In my area there are not too many lakes and rivers, but I have seen the locals in here. They are not very successful as they use large hooks, thick lines and their baits are often bread and lam. I usually catch more but smaller than the local folks, yet I am not happy with it. I'd like to try float fishing, but there is no fishing shop in my area where I can get floats.

Go native... Model T ignition coil and a few meters of wire.

Or if you're well connected, you may be able to get away with dynamite.

If you don't catch any on worms or shrimp or on bread, they probably just aren't there...

If you do find something, post back. A lot of us would love to know the answer.

• Haha 1