What's the bar scene like on Loi Kroh these days?

wellred

A good buddy told me that he went to Spotlight on Saturday night near midnight and he was one of very few customers. According to him, there were some very attractive girls working and they told him that business has been very slow and that they are "desperate". He was the only customer buying drinks and they were swarming all over him.
If Spotlight is slow, I would imagine that Loi Kroh Road is too, but it might be that 700 baht bar charge at Spotlight that scares customers off. It puts me off checking it out. I might fall in love and not be able to control myself. wub.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

Spotlight is not on Loy Kroh. smile.png And I haven't been there in ages, while visiting the LK bars quite frequently. Mostly because of the general atmosphere there, as well as drinks prices. And I'm not a huge fan of the format to begin with.

The Loy Kroh bars are mostly fine, both on the moat-end and the ones with the Boxing Ring near Kamphaeng Din.

I could post pictures if that was allowed, which it isn't. They're good pictures though, of the proverbial type that say more than all the words in this topic combined.. wink.png One of the most beautiful Thai women I have ever set eyes on hangs out there. (This to pre-empt the inevitable comments about only having grannies working there. :P )

Assuming this topic will be closed either before or after it goes off the rails, I'll send you some stuff via PM if I feel that the information provided pre-topic-closure was insufficient.

For what it's worth, there's a party again at Carnival Bar; their 15 year anniversary is tonight. In between the moat and the Raming Lodge Hotel, on the left when coming from the moat.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

According to him, there were some very attractive girls working and they told him that business has been very slow and that they are "desperate". He was the only customer buying drinks and they were swarming all over him.

You know that's exactly what I would say; what you would say; in fact wouldn't every EGO say that.

cant go back to the mates and say you had a sh1t night on your own can you?

According to him, there were some very attractive girls working and they told him that business has been very slow and that they are "desperate". He was the only customer buying drinks and they were swarming all over him.

You know that's exactly what I would say; what you would say; in fact wouldn't every EGO say that.

cant go back to the mates and say you had a sh1t night on your own can you?

I have known him for 25 years and he has no problem reporting on a lousy night. He is British and enjoys whinging about them. I'm pretty sure what he said was accurate and he did pretty well at the end of the night.

He was not alone by the way, so there is confirmation, if I needed any.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I walked up and down that street on successive nights for the first time in twenty years a few months ago. I won't bother a third time; I wish I hadn't bothered a second time but I thought I must have dreamed how bad it was the first night.

• Like 2

Part of Loi Kroh is in a troubled time sinds the two tempels there complain about the noise and the scanty clothing of the ladys there. It seems that the city declared that bars within 100 meters from the tempels are only allowed to play music between 10 and 12 pm, amd not to loud. The ladys have to wear decent clothing

For these reasons Chang bought the old nichtbazaar to create a new bar area in the backside of it. Untill now only 30 % is open.

Beetlejuice,our resident LK expert, will be along shortly to add his 2 bobs worth coffee1.gif

I was going to give this thread a miss, but it seems my fans are demanding I make an appearance.

It`s simply this, nothing has changed in the Loi Kroh road, Chiang Mai`s fading orange light district for around 10 years, maybe more.

It`s a handful of dirty grotty little open bars staffed by women that I think are the last remaining comfort women forced to work there during the Japanese occupation and stayed on.

My advice to our wellfred is, if he is considering going out of his way or making a detour to his planned trip just to visit that area, than he is going to be disappointed, there is nothing to see here folks.

Really, I am not making this up.

Thats sounds pretty accurate to me even if i only ride through CM a few times a year.

Typical scene in a CM bar-

"you want drink?"

"Hello! Yes, i would like a beer please"

"You buy me drink!"

"Eh? What about the...'whats your name, where you come from?' Bit first?...

(Beer bottle slams down on table, girl returns to front of bar to resume smoking and playing with phone)

A virgin in CM? yup. Last 15 trips already. Although a cute freelancer approached me near johns bar 1 night....as i was making an emergency dash to the toilet back at my room ...oh hum. Maybe next trip then?

• Like 1

If Spotlight is slow, I would imagine that Loi Kroh Road is too, but it might be that 700 baht bar charge at Spotlight that scares customers off. It puts me off checking it out.

whilst in town a couple months back, rode into the spotlight bar for look, as its been sometime

the prices rocked my socks off...130 baht a small bott beer.. 100 baht.. small bott of soda .etc etc

bar fines were.. (.from memory)..600 before midnite , and 500 baht after the stroke of twelve

for a roll in the hay..2000 baht for a sprint. or..2500, baht for a marathon

these prices are surely catering for the well heeled tourist, not the local expats

my first visit was in 2001, and the estabalisment has not changed one bit, a balantant rip off, and grotty dirty old place , just to have a drink ,and the music would send a sane man to the wall

a nice morning to all

Hookers are not on my menu, but if you like that, stay in Pattaya. You can enjoy fine clubs and good company in Chiang Mai, if you go to any number of nightspots...away from Loi Kroh. If you want a quickee, or an afternooner...(or all nighter), and do not mind the higher prices and lower selection..go for it. I go there twice a month just to get a taste of the wilder side....Loi Kroh never disappoints me. Fun gals...but I don't fiddle. Boxing on Friday..I think. Bars are pretty much just there ...nothing secret to discover. Dragon Fly seemed the best of the lot.

I went there for an anniversary party at My Place Lounge last Friday night.

Before the festivities, I took a stroll from the boxing stadium to the moat and back.

Deathly.

I still love the down-market ambiance of the place, and will always check it out when I'm near, but it's not a place where I'd spend a lot of time or money looking for companionship.

Certainly not multiple days....

Posts discussing specifics of prostitution removed along with replies quoting same. see this forum rule...

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

• Like 1

Entire post deleted by author.

I just read the restrictions on details re: certain topics.

Summary offered:

Don't waste your time in Loi Kroh - go where the students like to party. Better food and more fun :)

Edited by Minnehaha
  • Like 1

More gals have showed up in both the bars and massage shops in the last couple of week imho. I know business has been really slow this year, so it's a 'buyer's market'. Other than that, the scene looks pretty much the same as any other 'high-season', just fewer farang tourists. As far as the guest-houses though, they seem to be doing alright. So if you plan to stay in the local vicinity of Loi Kroh, you might want to check ahead for lodging.

Edited by connda

Oh geesh! I can only assume its like any other bar scene, in every other city/country around the world. A whole lot of quality, educated, alcohol consuming, excessive baggage, depressed people who have zero purpose in life.

Of all the scenes, I'm so glad I never was in that one. I'll make my own scene.