Leeds Will They Or Won't They?

warriors

I've stood by Blackwell and thought he has done a good job, but frankly I've lost support for him now. It seems obvious he's lost the support of the players too, and Ken Bates has to do something very very soon if we are to salvage anything from this (already disastrous) season.

O'Leary? Not a chance.

Curbishley . . . .I dunno. People are talking about him but I think he flatters to deceive. He hasnt actually achieved much, has he?

It might be anathema to Leeds fans but I would like to see someone like Dennis Wise take over. I want a manager who will re-install some passion, fire and pride in the players. I would rather go down fighting than wander off limply, as we seem to be doing now.

Very very very depressed at the moment.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bates: Show us the cash!

EXCLUSIVE

By Phil Hay

Leeds United chairman Ken Bates was today keeping his counsel after a Leeds-based consortium revealed their intention to invest in the club.

A five-strong group of local businessmen are planning a bid for a stake in United, and the promise of a cash injection would help strengthen a difficult financial situation at Elland Road.

Leeds are fighting to cover the shortfall created by the loss of the parachute payments they received for two seasons after their relegation from the Premiership in 2004.

The club are also continuing to pay off a number of agreements with former players.

Leeds' financial situation restricted the movements of manager Kevin Blackwell during the summer transfer window, and United's manager admitted this week that he is lacking funds to supplement his squad with loan signings.

Bates has admitted in the past that he would welcome outside investment, particularly from local businesses, but was quick to play down talk of the consortium's intentions today.

Bates said: "We would always be sceptical of people who make their intentions known through the papers rather than contacting us first."

The group is being led by Andrew Newdall, a north Leeds property developer who runs taxi company Premier Taxis, although the names of the other four members have not been revealed.

The consortium are keen to acquire a major stake in the Elland Road club, but there is no suggestion at this stage that they intend to attempt a takeover bid.

Bates has controlled United since completing a successful takeover in January 2005, and United reached the Play-off final at the end of his first full season in Yorkshire.

The club struggled to compete in the recent transfer window, however, and completed only four permanent signings before the start of the season, including David Livermore who joined Hull without kicking a ball for Leeds.

15 September 2006

from "leeds today"

it certainly is grim up north these days.

Six years ago today Leeds beat AC Milan in the Champions League in one of the momentous nights of their existence. Forget getting to the semi-finals that year; the Milan result was the best night of that campaign.

Six years on, we beat Barnet 3-1 in the CocaCola cup and count our blessings.

Oh lordy . .. . . .

Six years ago today Leeds beat AC Milan in the Champions League in one of the momentous nights of their existence. Forget getting to the semi-finals that year; the Milan result was the best night of that campaign.

Oh lordy . .. . . .

A win is a win Bendix old Mate... be it Barnet or Binkley Athletic, confidence rises after ANY win :o

Don't worry too much , Bryan Robson is free now :D

Oh lordy . .. . . .

A win is a win Bendix old Mate... be it Barnet or Binkley Athletic, confidence rises after ANY win :D

Leave off, Robbo at Leeds, thats you and your wind up again init TP, I'm gonna have to watch for these snide comments, time of the month or lack of booze up there fella.... :o

Bendix, TP's right, with any luck (only from your point of view) the Glazer empire may see us in reverse faster than you.

Blackwells gone....Sky Sports Link..

Leeds axe falls on Blackwell

By James Pearson - Created on 20 Sep 2006

Leeds United have sacked under-fire manager Kevin Blackwell.

The Whites have made a woeful start to The Championship season that sees them lie second from bottom in the table.

Leeds have lost their last three home league games, although they did see off Barnet in the second round of the League Cup on Tuesday.

"The board of Leeds United have on Wednesday terminated the contract of manager Kevin Blackwell," read a statement on the club's official website.

"The club would like to place on record its thanks to Kevin for the work he has put in over the past three-and-a-half years, the past two-and-a-half of which were as manager.

"No further comment will be made at this time."

redrus

Ranieri tipped for Leeds job :o:D:D

By John Ley

(Filed: 21/09/2006)

Claudio Ranieri has emerged as a potential replacement for Kevin Blackwell at Elland Road after the Leeds United manager was sacked yesterday, just four months after he took them to the Championship play-off final.

advertisement

Leeds are second from bottom, with just two wins and a draw from eight games, and have scored only four league goals in the process.

The departure of Blackwell, was not unexpected, and while Swindon manager Dennis Wise remains a chief candidate, Ranieri could be a surprise choice.

A statement from the club read: "The board of Leeds United have today terminated the contract of manager Kevin Blackwell. The club would like to place on record its thanks to Kevin for the work he has put in over the past 3½ years, the past 2½ of which were as manager. No further comment will be made at this time."

Blackwell, who succeeded Eddie Gray in June 2004 after spending 12 months as coach, had come under increasing pressure from frustrated fans in recent weeks.

The Yorkshire club's 1-0 defeat at Coventry at the weekend was their third successive defeat in the Championship.

Blackwell, former coach to Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock, chose not to comment, but financial restraints have not helped his cause.

During Blackwell's tenure as manager, Leeds were crippled by huge debts. Earlier this month, he said: "It is only 18 months since the club were relegated and in £121 million worth of debt."

As a result of their financial problems, Leeds were forced to sell many of their biggest players.

Leeds have had six managers in the last 10 years, since Howard Wilkinson departed having led them to the First Division title, in 1992. Chairman Ken Bates is unlikely to rush into appointment, but both Ranieri and Wise have links with the man formerly in charge at Chelsea.

Wise left Millwall as manager last year and had spells as a player at Southampton and Coventry. In the summer he returned to management at League Two Swindon where, with the help of another former Chelsea player, Gus Poyet, he has turned fortunes around at a club who were relegated last season. They now lie second, behind Wycombe.

Ranieri, though, has emerged as a potential candidate, along with Alan Curbishley and Glenn Hoddle. Ranieri, who still has a home in England, was appointed Chelsea manager by Bates in 2000, as successor to Gianluca Vialli.

Following cup success in Italy and Spain, the self-proclaimed 'tinker man' took Chelsea to second in the Premiership, their highest placing for 49 years. He also led the club to the semi-finals of the Champions League, but the arrival of owner Roman Abramovich saw the Italian sacked in June 2004.

Ranieri returned to Spain to coach Valencia but lost his job there after just eight months. In June, he admitted he could be ready to return to English football.

Oh lordy . .. . . .

A win is a win Bendix old Mate... be it Barnet or Binkley Athletic, confidence rises after ANY win :D

Leave off, Robbo at Leeds, thats you and your wind up again init TP, I'm gonna have to watch for these snide comments, time of the month or lack of booze up there fella.... :D

redrus

Whoaa Redrus.... "snide comments" is a bit of a strong accusation......these posts were made in jest.....a wind up...Jeez, you do it all the time, as we all do, thats Football rivalry at its best.

I don't want to fall out with you mate, and i am really surprised that you misunderstood me :D

If you want an apology..hey here it is :o

TP

from bbc sport.

Carver takes Leeds caretaker role

Carver was Blackwell's assistant

John Carver has been appointed Leeds United caretaker manager following the departure of Kevin Blackwell.

The 42-year-old will be assisted by Dave Geddis and work in conjunction with technical director Gwyn Williams.

Carver, Blackwell's assistant, had a spell as Newcastle caretaker boss after Bobby Robson was sacked in 2004.

Former Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is favourite with the bookmakers to take over at Elland Road, but Swindon's Dennis Wise has also been linked.

Curbishley, 49, has been out of the game since resigning as Addicks manager at the end of last season.

As well as Wise, who was at Chelsea with current Leeds chairman Ken Bates, former England coach Glenn Hoddle and ex-Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri are among the others touted who have previously worked under Bates.

Wise has impressed at Swindon in his first full-time managerial role.

Assisted by former Stamford Bridge favourite Gus Poyet, the former midfielder has put the Robins among the early season pacesetters in League Two.

Wise enjoyed a good relationship with Bates during their time at Stamford Bridge and the former Chelsea chairman will have been impressed by the job the ex-England midfielder has done at the County Ground.

Hoddle is looking for a new role following his resignation from Wolves in July.

The new man at the helm will be Bates' first managerial appointment since taking control at Elland Road in January 2005.

Blackwell was sacked by the United chief after two-and-a-half years in charge at Elland Road, following a poor start to the season which has seen Leeds slump to 23rd in the Championship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current odds (courtesy of William Hill bookmakers):

Curbishley 5/6; Hoddle 13/2; Wise 7/1; Ranieri 8/1; John Carver 10/1; Micky Adams, Gary McAllister & Mike Newell 12/1; David O'Leary & Bryan Robson 33/1. Bendix 66/1. Eddie 11 100/1.

Taxexile 250/1. Redrus no fcking chance. :o

Edited by taxexile

If it was me that had to choose...and this is not my team...I would go with Dennis...he has had success wherever he has been as a manager..it was only just over 2 years ago that he was leading MILLWALL out for the FA cup final.

He is young and hungry..sure he will get my most hated team up this year ..because he has proved himself capable.

He lives and breathes Football and shows no mercy

WISE for Leeds.... and I reckon that a cert

I have just visited Sky Sports website and they have a poll running on "Who would you like to see replacingKevin Blackwell"?.

Curbishley is favourite with 29%

To my astonishment O'Leary is 2nd FAVOURITE with 15%

Wise...only 5%

Of couse its not only Leeds fans voting..others may have a hidden agenda of course

Edited by ThaiPauly

Oh lordy . .. . . .

Leave off, Robbo at Leeds, thats you and your wind up again init TP, I'm gonna have to watch for these snide comments, time of the month or lack of booze up there fella.... :D

redrus

Whoaa Redrus.... "snide comments" is a bit of a strong accusation......these posts were made in jest.....a wind up...Jeez, you do it all the time, as we all do, thats Football rivalry at its best.

I don't want to fall out with you mate, and i am really surprised that you misunderstood me :D

If you want an apology..hey here it is :o

TP

TP, note the LOL smilie at the end of the post fella, I was on the wind too. Come on mate the North South humour divide's not that wide is it.... :D:D:D

redrus

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks on, and the names being mentioned as new manager increase daily. Latest favourite seems to be Glenda Hoddle, for the love of god.

I personally would have loved to see Dennis Wise given a chance - I think he is the right sort of personality to get players motivated. But who knows . . . . knowing Leeds we'll end up with some nohoper and fall further into chaos.

Redrus, re your comment on Glazer taking Man Utd further back than Leeds. I sincerely hope not. I have no love for Man Utd as you know, but I wouldnt want what has happened to Leeds to happen to any other club, no matter what rivalry we have between us. It's been painful, believe me.

I was in Leeds yesterday and nipped into a bar to watch the United game, when Vidic scored a group of Leeds fans were leaving for Elland Road. I, as I would anywhere, without thought of where I am, jumped and shouted yes,! get in there!, as you do.

I did not get one comment from the fans leaving for Elland Road nor, from the ones still in there, a few cursory glances at tops.

Now in years gone by, my thoughtlessness at the joy of my team scoring, in that situation would have, well, I'd have got a talking to lets say.

Dark dark days at Elland Road indeed when you can't even have a pop at a red....

Now, don't take this the wrong way boys but, I hate Leeds United as much as you hate us. This is gettin silly though, as much as the joy of seeing you go down, The Premiership is a far more exiting prospect with a visit to Elland Road in mind., (there's a compliment in there :D ).

I don't know what can be done to sort it, short of Bates dippin his hands in his pockets and buying big but, on present form thats never gonna happen. Who would join anyway.?

Get it sorted Leeds. :o

redrus

Sort what?

It's a terminal decline, I suspect. What player would want to come to us now? What manager?

Try as i do, I'm struggling to see any light at the end of this tunnel. It just gets worse and worse.

There's always a light fella.... :o You'll be back.!

redrus

Well as a life-long Leeds fan I have to, by nature, play the eternal optomist...

KB didn't invest in the club for some kind of glorified pension plan. He bought into an established company with a long term strategy. This is the last season that we are hamstrung by paying proportions of Robbie Fowler, Danny Mills, even Nicky Barmby (for f*cks sake!)'s wages...

We're not going up this season. Full stop. John Carver will not be our manager in 2007. Full stop.

As of next season we will be a club with one of the largest fan bases, one of the lowest levels of debt (negligble), and one of the best youth academies in the country...

Since investing in the club, Ken Bates has only really splashed out on two things. The infrastructure, and the young lads coming through the academy. Smart cookie.

I'd like to see us go up this year as much as anyone else but face it - its not going to happen! Its not a priority at the moment. However, if we didn't have a chance of being a force in Europe again within the next six or seven years, KB wouldn't have invested.

So its not all doom and gloom long term!

It just might be for the next couple of years :o

Just my 2p...

Well as a life-long Leeds fan I have to, by nature, play the eternal optomist...

KB didn't invest in the club for some kind of glorified pension plan. He bought into an established company with a long term strategy. This is the last season that we are hamstrung by paying proportions of Robbie Fowler, Danny Mills, even Nicky Barmby (for f*cks sake!)'s wages...

We're not going up this season. Full stop. John Carver will not be our manager in 2007. Full stop.

As of next season we will be a club with one of the largest fan bases, one of the lowest levels of debt (negligble), and one of the best youth academies in the country...

Since investing in the club, Ken Bates has only really splashed out on two things. The infrastructure, and the young lads coming through the academy. Smart cookie.

I'd like to see us go up this year as much as anyone else but face it - its not going to happen! Its not a priority at the moment. However, if we didn't have a chance of being a force in Europe again within the next six or seven years, KB wouldn't have invested.

So its not all doom and gloom long term!

It just might be for the next couple of years :D

Just my 2p...

Great Post :o

Take heart from that all you Leeds fans

Cheers for the thumbs up boys!

Honestly (as Redrus will tell you), there really is no glee to be had when ripping the p1ss out of a team that is out of one's league; whether that be dozens of places above, or dozens of places below...

One day, normal service will be resumed, when we can rightly take the <deleted> out of the red scum, and them out of us. The fact that we are empathising about Glazer and the Mighty Leeds' demise at the hands of the Grey Gorilla is all well and good in a footballing sense, but I far preferred the amiable animosity that preceeded Leeds' fall from grace...

If we get any more sycophantic towards our rivals, folk will start accusing us of being Liverpool fans! And noone wants to see that...

Vivre la difference!

Redrus - glad to hear that you didn't get into any <deleted> when supporting your team in Leeds - banter's fun, but that's as far as it should go...

And so, on finishing this rant, Leeds lose 2-1 at home. Second from bottom now. Anyone want an application form for the vacant manager's position, please PM me now. Quickly!

This guy thats is managing them at the moment (never heard of him before) came out and said that he won't get te job,,,so that can't be good for moral ...they are like a rudderless ship,,,surely Bates has to act NOW...before its too late,

Nobody here (I think) wants to see Leeds in League One, thats unthinkable...

I think Alan Curbishley's sabatical is up at the end of the month..and if he does not go back to Charlton I reckon he will go to Leeds...if the "Big Grey Beard" tells him there is money to spend

Just my 2 satangs worth

TP

I trust Ken Bates HAS got more than 2 satangs!!!!!!

Edited by ThaiPauly

John Carver was Bobby Robson's assistant at Newcastle - he's a highly respected coach, but i dont think he has any management experience as such.

Evidently, he is working hard behind the scenes at Elland Road right now to sort out some bitter factional infighting amongst the team - seems there is some tension in the club. He is frustrated that that tension is manifesting itself on the field, yet he can't openly talk about it to the media. Expect the club captain to be replaced soon .. . . . .

Anyway, while it's incredibly depressing I can take solace that it's only mid-October and that they have time to turn it around.

Curbishley won't join. Not a chance. It's lose lose for him. Wise seems to have lost interest. My bet is that they will go for someone like Gary McAllister or, possibly, Ranieri. Both of them have publicly stated they would love the chance at a time when everyone else is keeping Leeds at armslength.

Div One next year? Maybe. I don't know. I'll still support them for as long as they remain playing.

I'll still support them for as long as they remain playing

me too.

it runs deep in the veins.

was first taken to elland road with my dad in the sixties , travelled up and down the country following them through the revie years , and once you have experienced that kind of success ( along with some cruel disappointments ...... losing the treble and especially the cup final replay at old trafford comes to mind ......) with your team its hard to disown them or lose interest.

you just keep hoping the success will come back.

howard wilkinson did it in 1990 or 1991 and o' deary nearly took us there again more recently.

bremner , giles , madely , cooper , clarke , jones , reany , charlton , loriner , gray , cherry , and dare i mention his name ...sprake.

they were the best team ever.

i dont think they will go down this season , no logic for saying it , its just that , you just keep hoping.

A great team indeed, although by the time I started watching them David Harvey had taken over in goal.

I became a fan when my dad inexplicably bought me a Leeds shirt on my fourth birthday, 22 August 1968. I was instantly hooked. My uncle took me to my first game (away to Norwich) a few years later and we won 2-0. I still remember the awe of seeing those guys in the flesh, lining up in the middle of the park before the game started, doing that famous salute to the crowd. The sock tags stuck in my mind.

Then I got taken to Elland Road for the first time (again to see Norwich, cos my uncle was a Canary fan and we lived there) a couple of seasons later.

Ahhhh . those were the days.

You're right. It's in your blood.

upwards on onwards :-)

Edited by bendix