Leeds Will They Or Won't They?

warriors

A Wise choice for Leeds?

Leeds United

by Fletch - BBC Sport 24 October 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people have said many things about Ken Bates - but very few have denied that he is his own man.

After all, if he was keen to secure the populist vote he would probably not have appointed Dennis Wise as his new manager - and this seems to be a point of which Bates is all too aware.

Shortly after announcing his first managerial appointment at the club, Bates admitted that Wise might not be "everybody's cup of tea".

The alliance of a former Chelsea chairman and one of his favourite sons during his Stamford Bridge days does not make for a desired combination in the minds of many Leeds supporters.

Yet as Bates went on to point out "this is not a popularity contest".

And, much as when Bates himself took over, Leeds cannot afford to quibble over the background or past contretemps of individuals if what they now offer will move the club forward.

Since the halcyon days of a Champions League semi-final and a third place finish in the Premiership, Leeds have been on a vicious downward spiral.

The gargantuan financial problems have been well documented.

Various owners have come and gone, the cream of the playing talent has been sold and the supporters have voted with their feet – especially with the club still asking north of ฃ30 to watch Championship football.

If you include John Carver, Wise becomes the eighth manager to take over at Leeds since George Graham succeeded Howard Wilkinson in September 1996.

No question, stability is what is needed and whether or not Wise is the right man for the job he must at least be given a chance to prove that Bates has been made the right appointment.

There is one factor firmly in Wise’s favour – with Leeds second from bottom in the Championship the only way is surely up.

The chaos of the last few weeks, with Saturday’s 5-1 hammering at Luton the team’s fourth straight defeat, belies the quality in the current squad.

David Healy is one of the finest players outside the Premiership, while in the likes of Richard Cresswell, Shaun Derry and Eddie Lewis they have footballers capable of succeeding at Championship level.

Despite his previous indiscretions, Wise has shown real promise as a manager.

He guided Millwall to an FA Cup final and 10th in the Championship, while the Swindon team he has left to take over at Elland Road are third in the League Two table.

Wise is popular with his players and seems to be an excellent motivator.

Along with assistant Gus Poyet, there is no shortage of experience – or determination to lift the gloom enveloping Elland Road.

As Wise and Poyet made their way around Elland Road before Leeds’ game against Southend in the Carling Cup on Tuesday they received generous applause from the modest crowd.

Welcoming a new manager is a now familiar routine to the supporters at Elland Road.

But perhaps they recognise that, much as it might stick in their throat to say it, they must back Wise and give him the chance to succeed at Leeds.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wise makes immediate impact as Leeds stop rot

By Clive White at Elland Road

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 29/10/2006

Leeds United (1) 2 Southend United (0) 0

It might not have been a victory scored in anything like the style associated with some of the great Leeds teams of the past, but no one from West Yorkshire was complaining about that yesterday or that they owed their change of fortune to a man they once despised as a player. Dennis Wise, warmly greeted by the home crowd before the start of his first match in charge, was positively feted by the finish as Leeds moved out of the relegation zone. Deep down Leeds fans probably always admired this irascible little figure and now he's one of them. Some would say they were made for one another.

Of course, the rot has only temporarily been stopped — they were hugely flattered by the scoreline — but there were enough signs to suggest that Wise can haul them up to a respectable position in the Championship. Whether that involves promotion is another matter. But if Wise can leave this pitch of all pitches to a standing ovation anything is possible.

Wise recognised there is much work to be done, not least with the players' level of fitness, but was "chuffed to bits with the way they played". Even so, from his first-half position in the stands he would have seen a lack of central threat in attack and creativity in midfield, Adam Johnson's perceptive 35-yard pass for the first goal apart.

While it was a better performance than in midweek when they lost 3-1 to the same opposition in the Carling Cup it still wouldn't have been apparent to the uninitiated who was at home and who was away. In fact, in the second half Southend were virtually camped in the Leeds half as the home side stubbornly defended a slender lead.

It's success rather than style that will persuade some of the missing thousands to return. That or a more realistic ticket pricing policy, which is isn't likely to come under Ken Bates.

Whatever difficulties Leeds may be having on the pitch, their 75-year-old owner continues to score victories off it and yesterday it was announced that Leeds had reached a settlement with Chelsea over Bates's claim that his former club had illegally poached two of the club's academy players. Bates had insisted that Chelsea be deducted points and be banned from competition but settled for financial compensation (believed to be around £5m) after a joint investigation by the Premier League and the FA.

It will be a while though before Leeds can even dream of a victory over Chelsea on the pitch. Leeds barely deserved to be ahead at half-time, even if it was a super pass from Johnson that found Ian Moore in splendid isolation beyond the Southend back four. The Leeds midfielder had already looked their most purposeful player, but being put clean through on goal was not a position many Leeds players, in their present fragile state, would have welcomed. Moore did well to keep his composure, even if Darryl Flahavan got a hand to his shot.

After that it was a case of defending what they had. It led to Leeds fans having their hearts in their mouths almost throughout the second half or at least until substitute Robbie Blake allowed them to draw breath with a peach of a free kick three minutes from time. White shirts or not, they never surrendered.

well at least its a start .

the result at preston away on tuesday night will be more telling though.

More important than the result was the attitude they seemed to be showing (at least from what I could tell listening to the online radio broadcast). For the first time in ages they seemed to have some fight, some bottle.

I don't mind Leeds being outplayed and losing. That's fair enough. I can't stand when they are outfought, though.

And much more important than the result was the estimated 5m quid compensation they got from Chelsea. We're becoming financially solvent again.

5m quid compensation they got from Chelsea.

that made me smile too.

its probably chump change to them , but for leeds at the moment it could by them a couple of new players.

onwards and upwards eh ?

Sorry ,I must have missed something..why did they get 5m from Chelsea?

BTW..great loan signing your keeper :o ...a clean sheet at last, long may it comtinue

That's true. It's a murky story, but basically it involves Chelsea agents making illegal approaches (at motorway service centres etc) offering to bribe the boys' parents to move the boys from Leeds to Chelsea.

Very shabby, and good on Ken Bates for pursuing it like a dog with a bone.

Leeds complained to FA and Premier League, threatening to get points docked and banned from some competitions. In the end, the two clubs agreed a negotiated settlement (as if the two players had been transferred). It's believed to be around 4-5 million quid, rising to 7-8 if the two kids make first team appearances.

A very nice outcome in my view.

• 4 weeks later...
Plymouth 1-2 Leeds

Leeds climbed out of the Championship bottom three thanks to Eddie Lewis' clinical finish at Home Park.

Robbie Blake gave them an early lead, latching on to Lewis' cut-back from the left to score his fifth in six matches.

With five minutes of the first half left, Bojan Djordic latched on to Tony Capaldi's free-kick to head home and he almost had a second shortly afterwards.

But Lewis decided matters when he beat the offside trap, latched onto Moore's pass and slid the ball past the keeper.

606 DEBATE: Your views on the match

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plymouth manager Ian Holloway:

"We have to look at that Luton game on Tuesday and try to win it because I was expecting at least three points from this game.

"In fact I would have been disappointed if we'd only got one - and now, in the harsh reality of life, I got absolutely zip. It's a bitter pill to swallow.

"Our home form is not what we wish and we have to do something about it."

Leeds manager Dennis Wise:

"Eddie Lewis has done well, he took his goal well and set up the first one for us.

"The result has brought a couple of other teams closer to us whom we can now try to catch.

"Plymouth make it very difficult for you - so to be going from here with three points is pleasing. We got what we deserved."

after a miserable november , a decent away win and 3 points at last.

Cardiff 19 37

2 Preston 19 37

3 Birmingham 19 37

4 Derby 19 34

5 Burnley 19 31

6 Stoke 19 30

7 Southampton 19 30

8 West Brom 19 29

9 Coventry 19 28

10 Wolverhampton 19 28

11 Colchester 19 27

12 Plymouth 19 27

13 Norwich 19 26

14 Ipswich 19 24

15 QPR 19 24

16 Sunderland 19 24

17 Sheff Wed 19 24

18 Leicester 19 22

19 Crystal Palace 19 22

20 Luton 19 22

21 Leeds 19 19

22 Barnsley 19 18

23 Hull 19 17

24 Southend 19 12

Edited by taxexile

Plymouth 1-2 Leeds

Leeds climbed out of the Championship bottom three thanks to Eddie Lewis' clinical finish at Home Park.

Robbie Blake gave them an early lead, latching on to Lewis' cut-back from the left to score his fifth in six matches.

With five minutes of the first half left, Bojan Djordic latched on to Tony Capaldi's free-kick to head home and he almost had a second shortly afterwards.

But Lewis decided matters when he beat the offside trap, latched onto Moore's pass and slid the ball past the keeper.

606 DEBATE: Your views on the match

Plymouth manager Ian Holloway:

"We have to look at that Luton game on Tuesday and try to win it because I was expecting at least three points from this game.

"In fact I would have been disappointed if we'd only got one - and now, in the harsh reality of life, I got absolutely zip. It's a bitter pill to swallow.

"Our home form is not what we wish and we have to do something about it."

Leeds manager Dennis Wise:

"Eddie Lewis has done well, he took his goal well and set up the first one for us.

"The result has brought a couple of other teams closer to us whom we can now try to catch.

"Plymouth make it very difficult for you - so to be going from here with three points is pleasing. We got what we deserved."

after a miserable november , a decent away win and 3 points at last.

Cardiff 19 37

2 Preston 19 37

3 Birmingham 19 37

4 Derby 19 34

5 Burnley 19 31

6 Stoke 19 30

7 Southampton 19 30

8 West Brom 19 29

9 Coventry 19 28

10 Wolverhampton 19 28

11 Colchester 19 27

12 Plymouth 19 27

13 Norwich 19 26

14 Ipswich 19 24

15 QPR 19 24

16 Sunderland 19 24

17 Sheff Wed 19 24

18 Leicester 19 22

19 Crystal Palace 19 22

20 Luton 19 22

21 Leeds 19 19

22 Barnsley 19 18

23 Hull 19 17

24 Southend 19 12

Cheers Tax!

We needed those three points and then some! Its depressing enough watching the ashes now on UBC...

By the way, was the original quote from the BBC? There's only one set of inept journalists that can use the word 'latch' 3 times within 3 paragraphs and 55 words...

:o

It's generally positive, but let's not get carried away. Wise's record to date is a win following by two disastrous losses, followed by a good win against Colchester, followed by a thumping from Soton, and now yesterday's win.

We're still erratic. If we can get anything away to Burnley on Tuesday night, I'll say we may just have bottomed out.

• 3 weeks later...
Wise: Just 10 more wins

by Phil Hay

Dennis Wise today swept aside concerns over Leeds United's Championship position, insisting the club were well on the way to the magical 50-point mark.

The Elland Road boss has set his sights on 10 victories from United's remaining 24 league games after claiming 30 more points will allow his players to repel the threat of relegation.

Leeds are third from bottom in the Championship and have taken 20 points from their first 22 matches, and Wise's side will begin the second half of the season inside the relegation zone unless a convincing victory over Ipswich Town this weekend is coupled with a heavy defeat for Barnsley at Leicester.

A total of 50 points is considered by most managers to be enough to preserve Championship status, and a tally of just 43 was sufficient to avoid a place in the bottom three last season.

Gillingham, however, were relegated with 50 points to their name two years ago, and Walsall amassed 51 before dropping out of England's second tier at the end of the 2003-04 campaign. But Wise is unwilling to contemplate the possibility of United falling into League One.

Asked if the Championship table was beginning to concern him, United's boss said: "It wasn't great when I came here so that isn't going to bother me.

"We have to get a certain amount of points by a certain time. Time's far from up, put it that way. If they keep performing the way they have been it will change. There's a fair few points to be had and you need between 48 and 50 points. I am confident."

Wise's squad will be strengthened at Ipswich this weekend by the return of Ian Westlake, left, who completed a one-match ban against Derby and is free to face the club he left to join United.

Captain Kevin Nicholls is also on the verge of a recall after an 82-minute outing during Leeds reserves' 2-0 defeat at West Brom on Monday.

The midfielder has not featured for United's first team since undergoing knee surgery at the start of October.

13 December 2006

from "leeds today"

Even though I am no Leeds fan I really do feel for you guys.

This thread was initially about will Leeds get promotion or not.?....it has now turned into will they get relegated or not?

It would appear that DW and GP do not have all the answers as you hoped they may.

Surely KB will put his hand in hs very deep pockets in the transfer window....relegation to League One is unthinkable!

Why can't they get Alan Smith on loan? He's nowhere near a fixture in the United team right now, and the bost it would give the club and its supporters would be amazing IMHO...should be their number one priority to get him back, again IMHO

Good luck with your results over the festive period.

TP

He's already said that he prefers to stay at United and work on getting fit. It's not an option. Anyway, short-term loanees (even iconic ones like Smith) are not the answer to Leeds' problems - didnt we recently get fined for fielding too many loanees in one match?

My sense is that the team is working harder under DW and GP, but the results just arent coming. I still think we can get out of this mess, but I don't think it will be through any new players brought in in January. The key to me is getting Nicholls and Cresswell playing regularly, getting the best from Blake who seems like a new man under Wise, and taking a gamble with some of the younger stars in the reserves like Howson, Rose and Rothery. What do we have to lose?

I think we can survive, but it will be a close thing.

this report on the game yesterday makes dismal reading.

Leeds left clutching at draws

By Trevor Haylett at Elland Road, Sunday Telegraph

Last Updated: 12:19am GMT 24/12/2006

Leeds (0) 0 Hull (0) 0

They filed away silently in their thousands, dejected and in desperate need of a warm fireside and some seasonal cheer. There was none to be found inside Elland Road, a grand stage where they used to pay homage to the best team in the land but which now endures a level of mediocrity shaming the memory of all those great performers from the past.

A 0-0 home draw with Hull is certainly no reason to crack open the Christmas champers. It has come to something when that minuscule return is seen as a sign that there might soon be some light beneath a skyline presently offering only grey and gloom. 'A clean sheet' claimed those for whom a glass three-quarters empty, is a glass one-quarter full.

Yes, only the fourth clean sheet in 13 home games. But the lunchtime kick-off also produced a whiteout, a washout, at the other end and that is three successive games that the Leeds die-hards have been left short-changed.

So the sense of despair that has hung around this once-great institution since that catastrophic afternoon at the Millennium Stadium in May when Watford ridiculed Leeds' arrogant contention that their place among the elite had merely been placed on hold for two seasons, will linger into the new year unless Dennis Wise can imbibe his struggling team with some inspiration between now and Boxing Day afternoon.

There was a debate among some fans at half-time as to whether they were witnessing the worst 11 in Leeds' history. There was no lack of effort and no shortage of possibilities as Frazer Richardson and Eddie Lewis raided from full-back and sent over a stream of crosses, but only one of them forced Boaz Myhill to dirty his hands as Tresor Kandol headed goalwards. There was precious little forward punch and a paucity of midfield creativity, though some optimism could be gleaned from the promising debut of 18-year-old Jonathan Howson.

"It's clearly two points dropped," Wise said, "but I was pleased with the way we went about it today. We are getting there. We looked solid and played with a lot more confidence."

Yet with a large away following lending voluble support, Hull looked just as likely to steal away with the prize and there was no sense of hanging on for their point. They had the best player on view in Michael Bridges, who once wore the white of the home team on those rare occasions when he was not on the treatment table, and opportunities through a Sam Ricketts drive and Ryan France's header to leave Leeds behind in the bottom three.

Whether it will prove enough to enable Phil Brown to shed his 'caretaker' label is a decision for another day.

"After a performance like that it looks like I've the backing of the players, but the bottom line is that the decision is for the chairman to make," he said.

When Ken Bates, the Leeds chairman, emerged into the cold afternoon air there were just three supporters left in the club car park, two of whom shook his hand, the third planting a smacker on his cheek, demonstrating that goodwill at this time of year is not an old-fashioned concept. As for all the rest . . . they just wanted Christmas to begin and for this bad memory to disappear.

they lost again yesterday , 3-1 to stoke.

they seem to have become the whipping boys of the championship.

their confidence must be shattered by now , i think its 7 games without a win , one goal in five games and firmly rooted 2nd to bottom now , its looking grimmer than a wet november afternoon in hunslet and i fear for the worst.

sad , sad days at elland road.

The winter of wows has arrived 3-1 next up Coverty at home maybe they can get a 0 - 0 Draw.

Has Hunslet got any spare Rugby League players it can lend to United?

How many do you think will turn up the next home game?

Money well wasted I also feel for them too what a way to spend Christmas and the New Year :o