BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
ubonr1971

winner of the most annoying student of the year

I work at a low class govt uni where the students essentially don't care and each year they progress they get more confidence- irrespective of their incompetence.

I teach a writing subject and one student in the group is the 'leader'- (I'm assuming self appointed). She is a below average student with a big ego. Several times in the past 17 weeks I have found her to be rather annoying. A typical example is last week at the end of the lesson I started packing up my stuff and she stood up and started speaking Thai to the group. I had no idea what she was saying in Thai but when walking out I noticed she had the course booklet and was teaching the students my material. I did not ask her to do this and in front of everyone I said that it is best that all students do there own revision for the exam in case xxx (student) accidentally translates the wrong information to them- thus resulting in them all getting it wrong in the final exam. There are a lot of students who are smarter and better at writing than her and thus I was shocked she was pretending to be a teacher without prior authorisation.

This afternoon is another classic example of her behaviour.... Right before I was about to go into a meeting she handed me a Christmas present. I thanked her and was grateful. I then walked into the meeting and the 3rd boss told me she had received some Line messages from xxx claiming that the final exam for the writing class was not fair. The reason stated in the message was that the assignment 4 and one question in the exam were very similar and that many students had cheated in the assignment and accordingly they had an advantage over her. Its a crock of ...... She also said that some of her friends had cheated in the exam.

I sent her a message in English from the bosses phone reminding her that she is a student not a teacher and that we do not need her help. I also said that instead she should focus on her own studies blah blah

Without a doubt she is going to annoy someone when she starts working next year. She will be at the bottom of the ladder but think she's the boss.

About 4 weeks ago she was in the teachers area and one of the male thai teachers told her to empty his bin. When she was walking out I said to him 'did you tell her to empty your bin' and we both laughed. Her ego was shattered. Maybe I will ask her to empty my bin tomorrow.

Sometimes this job takes the urine out of me. Its too much brain damage to deal with. I will grab another beer. Cheers

I tend to agree with aircooledflat4, above. It might be objective to accommodate this young girl's educational needs and reflect on your methodology. From your description, one may deduct that she is trying to reach out to you for help, because she might not be accessing learning, based on your teaching method. Reflect.

• Like 1

Egos, we all have them....just some more than others... some of us may have had a few more turns on the "reincarnation" cycle than others.

Op your the one with the "licence" ....drive your bus.

• Like 2

I'm often appalled at 'teachers'' grasp of the English language.

Maybe she is knowledgeable, is picking up deficiencies and passing them on to her fellow students, an arrogant position, but she could be a smartar $ e.

wow i love it when a gaggle of "teachers" pretend they are a important part of everyones life when they are not. do your job, go home rest,relax, knock a few back. come back next day, do your job again. stop whineing, complaining, no one wants to read about you and your broken relationship with your " students", not one person. give it a res, thanks :-)

• Like 1

...you will never win...

..the slightest 'conflict' or disagreement.....you are the guilty.....

...I would guess this has already happened....now it is time for you to go....

...so next step is slander or defame you....and get rid of you...

(...that is the process generally...)