What Do You Like To See To Make Chiang Rai More Interesting?

little_muppet

Personally a big department store like a Central with movie cinemas and maybe even a sizzler.

Ohh and I would like a Limping here in CR aswell stocking lots of great Farang food..

In The Rai!

I hope not.

For a lot of farang, myself included we like Chiang Rai the way it is or has been in the past.

We don't want lots of big shopping malls,movie theatres and sizzlers, similar to home.

We don't want lots of farang here, like Chiang Mai.

Chiang Rai has a nice mix of foreigners and Thai, a nice mix of foreign shopping and Thai.

Even the traffic isn't so bad here.

So, please leave Chiang Rai to be Thai.

Spot on Tayto. :o

I never said I wanted lots of shopping malls and lots of sizzlers or farangs but I would like 1. somewhere to go and buy goods with a little bit more quality than what Chiangrai (big C) has to offer at the moment. I dont like having to drive 3 hours to get my fill of farang goods. I dont see how one shopping mall will turn this place into Chiangmai.

I do however see where you are coming from size wise and would like things to remain the quiet same.

I can only see benefits in it including more employment opportunities for local Chiangrais.

In the Rai, you cannot get everything.

I suppose you want to live in a quiet and nice village where you can buy a rai of land for 20 000 bath, you can build a a house for 200 000 bath, prices in the local market are low, low, low, and then you have Central Department store 3 km away, the ferry to Koh Chang is 2 km away and barlife like Pattaya even closer. Phu Chi Fah you can see in the horizont.

A good dream.

They dont build a Department store for 1000 farangs that might go there once a month (33 people per day) and maybe a couple of thousands halfwelthy Thais that go for window shopping every weekend.

We are not that many farangs here that can support a very good farang shop with delicatessen from every country in the west.

If you want Department stores and lots of good Farang food, you have Chiang Mai. The prize you have to pay is polluted air, flooding, crazy traffic and 15 000 backpackers every week. Good Luck!

:o:D:D

what do you like to see to make Chiang Rai more interesting? any idea...

Make Chiang Rai more interesting for who?

For foreign tourists and Thai tourists? Or for for backpackers ?

For other farangs dreaming on a good life in a nice place in Thailand maybe living in Pattaya or Chiang Mai?

Or for us, farangs and Thais already living here in Chiang Rai?

Who do you think of?

wat about the old local style retail shop owner?

As they did in Europe and America: They will slowly but sure disappear.

And just like in Europe and America many people will feel sorry for them.

These little shops had a social function in their neighbourhoods: the latest news and gossip was exchanged and the customers knew each other. When people wanted to meet, they went to their neighbourhoodshop. Soon you will only see old people in the small shops.

But the younger generation probably doesn't want to take over the shops from their parents.

They think life can be more exciting then standing all day in a little shop selling for 12 Baht here and 26 Baht there.

Now people have cars and are in a hurry because they have to work longer (among others to pay for their cars = western style: work, work, work and buy, buy, buy).

They also have fridges, so they can keep food fresh at home for a longer time.

So they go once a week to a supermarket and buy in half an hour everything they need, which normally would take almost half a day (go to several shops and to the market).

All the things they forgot or which are finished before the next visit to the big supermarket they will buy in the small 'convenient shops' like 7Eleven and the new small 'Tops' to come. They are very well located, often at gasoline stations.

More efficient, more hygienic, better balanced assortment, higher quality and often even cheaper.

And faster!

Yes, just like in Europe people will shout 'support your local shop' and three weeks later they will do their shopping in the big stores. People choose with their feet, not with their mouth!

Don't forget: Before Big C came to Chiang Rai very few families decided WHAT people could buy in this town and at WHAT PRICE.

Of at least one third of the present assortment of Big C people didn't even know the existence.

Times, they are changing! Also crocodile tears can be wiped away.

Limbo :o

What I would like to see is a more beautiful Chiang Rai.

Many new houses and shops are built under architecture nowadays. All these individual house- and shopowners contribute to the beauty of this town.

Now it is time for the community (read: Town Council) to do something about this ridiculous overexposure of billboards.

Three pictures taken in the very center of Chiang Rai:

post-6305-1155384644_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1155384620_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1155384666_thumb.jpg

I suppose you want to live in a quiet and nice village where you can buy a rai of land for 20 000 bath, you can build a a house for 200 000 bath, prices in the local market are low, low, low, and then you have Central Department store 3 km away, the ferry to Koh Chang is 2 km away and barlife like Pattaya even closer. Phu Chi Fah you can see in the horizont.

A good dream.

Svenivan,

Your assumptions are very wrong! Therefore you should never assume.

I want to live in a quiet and nice village where you can buy a rai of land for 10 000 bath, I can build a house for 100 000 bath, prices in the local market are low, low, low, and then you have Central Department store 1 km away, the ferry to Koh Chang is 500m away and barlife like Pattaya even closer. Phu Chi Fah you can see from my back window!

Jokes aside,

The OP asked what we would like to see in Chiangrai to make it more interesting. I would like to see a shopping mall just like a central in Bangkok. That is what would make my lifestyle a little more interesting so that I dont have to drive to Chiangmai to watch a movie in English.

No one is asking you to want the same as me. You have your own opinions and thoughts and that is your right, but please dont slam people for having their own opinions that differ from yours.

I am in no position to be building a shopping Mall in the near future so dont get alarmed it is not going to happen.

In The Rai!

A good dream.

Svenivan,

Your assumptions are very wrong! Therefore you should never assume.

I want to live in a quiet and nice village where you can buy a rai of land for 10 000 bath, I can build a house for 100 000 bath, prices in the local market are low, low, low, and then you have Central Department store 1 km away, the ferry to Koh Chang is 500m away and barlife like Pattaya even closer. Phu Chi Fah you can see from my back window!

Jokes aside,

The OP asked what we would like to see in Chiangrai to make it more interesting. I would like to see a shopping mall just like a central in Bangkok. That is what would make my lifestyle a little more interesting so that I dont have to drive to Chiangmai to watch a movie in English.

No one is asking you to want the same as me. You have your own opinions and thoughts and that is your right, but please dont slam people for having their own opinions that differ from yours.

I am in no position to be building a shopping Mall in the near future so dont get alarmed it is not going to happen.

In The Rai!

Why don't you consider moving to Chiang Mai.

It's more interesting, has shopping malls, english movies , lots of farang food and you wouldn't

have a long drive there every month.

Everybody happy.

Why don't you consider moving to Chiang Mai.

It's more interesting, has shopping malls, english movies , lots of farang food and you wouldn't

have a long drive there every month.

Everybody happy.

No I like Chiangrai alot..

The people here are great and it is a beautiful little town in comparison to Chiangmai. Chiangmai is a big city and has been for a considerable amount of years. I too dont like the pollution or the traffic problems that come with the big city lifestyles.

I would assume 1 shopping mall is not going to turn Chiangrai into Chiangmai but then I am not qualified in this area either. If I had to choose (meaning that a shopping mall would change the size of Chiangrai dramaticaly)than I too would opt for no mall. But I dare say that many of us here on this forum are not qualified enough to really know whether or not it would have a direct impact on our quiet little town.

I come from a town of around 400,000 people and is about the same size area wise as Chiangrai. There are 2 major malls and it is still a quiet little town. No traffic problems or anything. Chiangrai is 3 times the size without a major shopping mall. I cant see how it would really have any major impact on the way we live now. But that is just my opinion!

I come from a town of around 400,000 people and is about the same size area wise as Chiangrai. There are 2 major malls and it is still a quiet little town. No traffic problems or anything. Chiangrai is 3 times the size without a major shopping mall. I cant see how it would really have any major impact on the way we live now. But that is just my opinion!

Chiang Rai Province is supposed to have 1,2 million inhabitants. Its capital Chiang Rai town (with a regional center function) around 60,000.

We have a Big C now and a Macro, which is of course less interesting as it aims at retailers and restaurants. There are some rumours about a Carrefour, that would be planned for Maechan.

And then we have a Tesco Lotus in Mae Sai.

Big C has had an enormeous impact on the shopping behaviour in Chiang Rai and surroundings.

A second mall would have a smaller, sooner marginal, impact.

I don't see how it would change the character of this town, aside from the fact that it becomes even more quite than it is already:

Another big shopping mall, just as Big C does already, would lessen traffic in town as it certainly would be located in its periphery.

Just try to imagine for a second that all the cars you see at the parking place of Big C would be cruising around in the middle of Chiang Rai town just to find a parking place!

'In the Rai', I am on your side, even if it would be for another reason!

Limbo :o

personally, im quite a girl who like to stay in a big city, even here is my mother hometown, the place i grow up and studying, but things here or cr itself is so boring for me..nothing to do much but in deep down of me i want CR being this way boring quiet and good weather. I dont want CR to change in any ways.The boring of CR is make CR seem interesting ....

PS. im moving permanently to bkk in around 2 months.......

~Unknown_user ~

Edited by unknown_user

Leave Chiangrai to the Thai? Most teens I know would die to have a mall to hang out in? :D The Thai Business owners would like more farang as it brings money to there cash registers! I agree Chiangrai is nice and Peaceful and it would be a shame to see it follow Chiangmai! It would be nice to have Burger King here, just a small outlet. :o

Personally a big department store like a Central with movie cinemas and maybe even a sizzler.

Ohh and I would like a Limping here in CR aswell stocking lots of great Farang food..

In The Rai!

I hope not.

For a lot of farang, myself included we like Chiang Rai the way it is or has been in the past.

We don't want lots of big shopping malls,movie theatres and sizzlers, similar to home.

We don't want lots of farang here, like Chiang Mai.

Chiang Rai has a nice mix of foreigners and Thai, a nice mix of foreign shopping and Thai.

Even the traffic isn't so bad here.

So, please leave Chiang Rai to be Thai.