Gyms On nut/Sukhumvit

riorobc023

I have never found one and I have looked. A Google search just brings up the over-priced "fitness centers" found in the malls and office buildings up and down Sukhumvit, which are over-priced and not directed towards the serious strength training athlete and the small hotel gyms in the area. I hope someone know of such a gym somewhere along Sukhumvit and posts it.

WE Fitness Society is at Ekamai. 2 stops on BTS and the platform exits directly into the facility. Rates are good and the equipment is top tier; Cybex, Life Fitness, etc. 6 month membership is under 17,000THB..., 1 year under 26,000THB

It's a quality facility worth checking out. I live On Nut and I'm there in 6 minutes from Tesco.

WE Fitness Society is at Ekamai. 2 stops on BTS and the platform exits directly into the facility. Rates are good and the equipment is top tier; Cybex, Life Fitness, etc. 6 month membership is under 17,000THB..., 1 year under 26,000THB

It's a quality facility worth checking out. I live On Nut and I'm there in 6 minutes from Tesco.

Rates are good???

I can't believe how expensive gym memberships are around this area

Seriously, 26k ?? A 2 months average Thai wage.

What a rip off!!!! I doubt they'll be in business at those rates this time next year.

I think its high time a few more gyms opened at sensible prices.

Serious bodybuilding/power lifting athletes don't usually care too much about a gym's brand of weight-machines as they're not of much interest to them and are mostly used by senior citizens, people recovering from injuries or who have permanent ROM limitations, and young Thai women who like to be seen " do fitness" at a hi-so gym. I think the op is looking for a gym with a large selection of free-weight barbells and dumbbells, the proper benches to use them, e.g., flat, incline, and decline, a squat rack or two, maybe a Smith Machine, hack-squat and leg-press machines, etc. And enough floor space with a proper layout to use this equipment safetly and comfortably. None of the so called "fitness centers" found all around Bangkok fits this description.

Serious bodybuilding/power lifting athletes don't usually care too much about a gym's brand of weight-machines as they're not of much interest to them and are mostly used by senior citizens, people recovering from injuries or who have permanent ROM limitations, and young Thai women who like to be seen " do fitness" at a hi-so gym. I think the op is looking for a gym with a large selection of free-weight barbells and dumbbells, the proper benches to use them, e.g., flat, incline, and decline, a squat rack or two, maybe a Smith Machine, hack-squat and leg-press machines, etc. And enough floor space with a proper layout to use this equipment safetly and comfortably. None of the so called "fitness centers" found all around Bangkok fits this description.

It's not near Suk but for the sake of answering above, only power zone fits this description. It's located in the Din Deng area by former mr. Thailand.

The best gym that fits your needs close to OnNut that I've found is Balance Health Club on the 10th floor of Waterford Diamond, Sukhumvit 30/1. Between Thonglor and Phrom Pong. I live on OnNut and takes me about ~20 minutes to get there. Maybe a little less.

Two squat racks with adjustable pins. Allow deadlifts. Never had anyone tell me to stop using chalk. Dumbbells up to 100lbs. Flat benches, incline benches, decline bench. Dip and pullup bars. Even have a dip belt there to use. Standard lineup of machines pec deck, leg press, sitting calf raise, lat pull down, seated row, t bar row, etc. and cardio equipment as well.

They have a special right now. I just signed up for 6 months for 6k. Normally I think 3 months was 6k. I think 1 year is 10k they said, but not sure.

WE Fitness I went into the other day to check out and it isn't that great. They say you can deadlift there, but I doubt you could use chalk. DBs up to 40KGs. One squat rack with no adjustable pins. And the price was like 17K for 6 months.

go to SOI on nut (suk soi 77) go around soi 35 /46-48 .. there is a place called JUTA health club or sth. its a condo and a gym. olympic pool outdoor, and a OLD but decent gym inside. a few flat bench press setups, tons of free weight dumbbells, but old crap cardio and no squat rack.. price is 80 b and the amount of weights is quite decent. selection and weight! for me the biggest drawback was no real squat rack, although there is a smithmachine squat rack.. I was doing squats off the bench press bench though.. or using the dumbbells. A GOOD, underrtated no frills gym

correct. i am looking for equipment, doesn't matter what kind. Just looking for what you noted above practically.

Also i'll be living shukivmit 63 and Ekamai

if that makes it any easier for gyms in the area?

I'll have to check some of these suggestions out. Sounds like they all have better equipment than the so called gym at my condo. And better prices than the the fitness first and true fitness at Suk/ Asoke. I like the True Fitness there, just costly.

I'll have to check some of these suggestions out. Sounds like they all have better equipment than the so called gym at my condo. And better prices than the the fitness first and true fitness at Suk/ Asoke. I like the True Fitness there, just costly.

How is true fitness? Does it have bodybuilding/weightlifting equipment for the average joe?

I've searched a few of the ones everyone suggested looks like i came down to:

Health me fitness

&

Balance Fitness

Don't want to go too far out of my way. Plus i don't like the hustle bustle of people being complete idiots at the gym, and flexing etc.. I"m big and muscular, but i hate having to laugh at all of those scoundrels haha

Rates are good???

I can't believe how expensive gym memberships are around this area

Seriously, 26k ?? A 2 months average Thai wage.

What a rip off!!!! I doubt they'll be in business at those rates this time next year.

I think its high time a few more gyms opened at sensible prices.

I haven't lived in Thailand for many years now, however I did manage a gym in BKK circa 1994 and even back then the annual membership fee was 26,000 THB. That gym is still going strong these 2 decades later. One can't compare BKK with prices in places like the US or UK. Companies that do charge ridiculously low prices and offer 'Lifetime' memberships, California Wow for instance, soon hit the wall and disappear along with 'your' money. If you charge low prices, you need VERY high volume to compete and then the management find themselves inundated with complaints that the gym is too busy.

Like always, one man's meat......

While not exactly on point, I will add a tidbit in lieu of starting new thread as its closely related to the op's query. The op was seeking a "home" gym while living in Bangkok...my post is for the visitor or short-term stayer looking for a decent all around gym in the Sukhumvit corridor to keep up their routine while in Bangkok. The threads on this topic are old and archived so I can't add this post to them.

My recommendation is for the gym at he Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel. It is small but even for the strength training athlete, there is most of what one needs for an all around workout, including flat and incline bench presses, Smith-machine, hack and leg-press machines, lat pull down machine, leg extension machine, and a few more I've forgotten. There are also barbell plates to 45kilos and dumbells up to 75 pounds and the benches to use them. The gym staff is very friendly and helpful and everything is in good working order. Free water, bananas, and raisins are provided for a quick energy boost. The atmosphere is quiet too, unlike the other "fitness" this or that gyms so popular with the locals, with their ear-splitting techo or rap music giving one a headache. There are also about a dozen or so aerobic machines of various types as well as a yoga/stretching room.

The locker room is luxurious (I know not important for a serious workout but heck, it's there and it's luxe), and has both wet and dry saunas and one of the largest and a gain plushest jacuzzis I've seen in Bangkok to soothe ones muscles after a workout. The daily use price of 600 baht is very fair, especially when compared to the 1000 baht or so charged by those aforementioned "fitness" places for their inferior facilities.

• 1 month later...

NOWS Fitness is at On Nut 14. It's pretty damn nice, and a little cheaper than most. Small, and fairly Thai with lots of classes. (The pump classes are lame, but their yoga is amazing).

You can bargain a little on the price there. They tried to raise the price and I walked out... they came running after me. They're friendly enough — although not quite as farang friendly as bigger gyms. They're certainly not unkind — just you know... a little stand-offish.

I pay 2000 baht a month, and you can get 3 months for 5000 baht. I think a year is just 12000. http://www.nowsfitness.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to sound bias, but Now's Studio (On nut Soi 16) can be considered as the best choice here in On nut area

because of the following reasons:

1. It's conveniently located along the main road and accessible through mass public transport

2. They offer complete facilities (A simplified version of those big gyms in the City)

3. They don't charge joining fee/Registration fee

4. Doesn't require you to have a credit cards

5. They offer variety in terms of group exercises classes (Other fitness center doesn't have spinning classes)

6. Their been in the business since 2004 and currently has 4 branches within Bangkok City

7. They can offer customized membership packages and payment terms for you.

8. They have an English speaking manager who can assist you for any concerns that you may have.

• 2 months later...

rqclub.com 21k/year and better than WE fitness

going to resurrect this thread, because I'm moving back to bkk and this area..

Could someone explain what the best way to get to raquet club(rqclub.com)from BTS OR

Balance health Fitness from BTS

and is NOW's fitness gym suitable for a heavy lifter/bodybuilder?

thanks everyone

Now's Fitness along On Nut soi 16 is pretty decent for its price actually.

I think the best way is to check them out personally.

They have an English speaking staff to answers all your questions that you may have.

Directions:

From On Nut BTS station, take a motorcycle along Sukhumvit 81.

Just tell them Now's Fitness On nut Soi 16

Most of drivers knows it very well.

I'm in Now Fitness and it's ok but if you want serious weights and space to use them this isn't it.

Thank you for your response . I'm a serious weigh lifter. So looking for a gym with appropriate weights , etc..

i have narrowed it down to Balance health club, in between thonglor/phrom phong.

Or

Raquet club, which personally looks like a perfect fit for me, if its not too hard to get to.

Any help greatly appreciated.. Looks like good gyms are lacking in On Nut

I heard Tony's Fitness, the chain from Pattaya, has or is opening in Sukhumvit Soi 19 somewhere?

Can anyone confirm this or provide some feedback or goss??

In what strange world would someone actually want to join Tony's fitness??

Some of his Pattaya gyms are just awful. Actually the majority.

I heard Tony's Fitness, the chain from Pattaya, has or is opening in Sukhumvit Soi 19 somewhere?

isn't it a bodybuilding gym? i remember going past a tony's in pattaya.

isn't it a bodybuilding gym? i remember going past a tony's in pattaya.

Is it? Which one he has like 15. The majority don't even have aircon.

Tenerife gym and fitness center where I used to be a member is.

Yeah I walked by tony's gym the other day, somewhere around sukhumvit 19.

ughh too far for me anyways. Will be living on nut

if it's anything like the one i passed in pattaya i would definitely like it, and yes no aircon, open air, hardcore.

That's your opinion. If you like being an statistic & getting ripped off by paying over 20k to join a gym in BKK, that's your business, but I've trained at Tony's gyms in Pattaya several times and I see nothing wrong for the money they charge.

They are on par with Cal WOW type of gyms, and that's enough for me and at a guess a good percentage of people, that require the most basic equipement:

Bench Presses, Squat racks, chining bar, smith machine, Lat Pulldowns and rows, decent amount of dumbells and some running machine.

Archived