TAT hopes to draw Chinese tourists with 'celebrity marketing'

webfact

TAT Hopes To Draw Chinese Tourists With "Celebrity Marketing"
By Khaosod English

14189066031418910190l.jpg
Mario Maurer, 26, will star in six films produced by TAT aimed at drawing Chinese tourists to Thailand.

BANGKOK — The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has announced plans to draw more Chinese visitors to Thailand through a campaign involving twelve 'Top Provinces,' six short films, and one celebrity.

TAT will produce six short movies in twelve "top provinces" around Thailand, and release the shorts every two months for Chinese audiences, said TAT director Thawatchai Arunyik.

The protagonist in the films will played by Mario Maurer, a 26-year-old Thai heartthrob who has starred in many blockbuster Thai movies, such as "Love of Siam."

Maurer was chosen because he is extremely popular among young mainland Chinese, Thawatchai said on Tuesday.

"Mario has around 3 million fans in China," the TAT director explained. "The goal is to convince at least 1.5 million of them to travel to Thailand."

According to Thawatchai, "celebrity marketing" will be the main feature of the 2015 tourism campaign.

To capitalise on Maurer's fame, TAT will also host three "meet-and-greet" events in the Chinese cities of Shanghai, Chengdu, and Kunming, where fans of Mario will get the chance to meet him in person, Thawatchai told reporters.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1418906603&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-12-19

Not so long ago i saw a news item on hi-so Chinese tourists whose favourite destinations are Paris and the like.

The quality tourists, cash wise anyway, that TAT craves do exist but LoS isn't likely to be a favoured destination.

Foe rich Chinese returning from a holiday and telling friends they'd been to Thailand isn't impressive enough so it's not going to happen.

The Thai do the same in Paris, they go in huge groups and follow the leader with the yellow flag. They get their own guides in the museums and then go back into the coach to see the next highlight in another European capital.

Those huge groups cause inconvenience by other tourists. They just go standing on the walkways like they own that place. Europeans won't accept that and just walk throught them/ push them away. They should be told how to behave between Europeans.

• Like 2

Not so long ago i saw a news item on hi-so Chinese tourists whose favourite destinations are Paris and the like.

The quality tourists, cash wise anyway, that TAT craves do exist but LoS isn't likely to be a favoured destination.

Foe rich Chinese returning from a holiday and telling friends they'd been to Thailand isn't impressive enough so it's not going to happen.

The Thai do the same in Paris, they go in huge groups and follow the leader with the yellow flag. They get their own guides in the museums and then go back into the coach to see the next highlight in another European capital.

Those huge groups cause inconvenience by other tourists. They just go standing on the walkways like they own that place. Europeans won't accept that and just walk throught them/ push them away. They should be told how to behave between Europeans.

During my time in Hong Kong there used to be jokes about tour groups going off to see 12 European cities in 5 days although the amount of cities would vary upwards depending on who was telling the story.

• Like 1

During my time in Hong Kong there used to be jokes about tour groups going off to see 12 European cities in 5 days although the amount of cities would vary upwards depending on who was telling the story.

That's no joke, Asian tourists sit in the coach ALL day in Europe. They only stop at (cheap) restaurants and highlights to make pictures. They never speak to anybody out of their group and don't do anything on their own.

It must be exhausting to travel that way but hey they are Asians, they don't care for beaches or bars or other places where westerners would go to relax.

Around the eiffel tower you go crazy from Asians making pictures, that's all they do in Europe, making pictures and run back to the coach.

• Like 2

TAT obviously missed this story;

Chinese passenger opens emergency exit 'to get some fresh air' as plane prepares for take-off
But the airline won’t be penalising him as he’s a first-time traveller and didn’t do any damage
Andrea Chen

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/785274-chinese-passenger-opens-emergency-exit-to-get-some-fresh-air-as-plane-prepares-for-take-off/

One way of reducing the number of first time travellers.

• Like 1

I read an article about how Thailand wants quality tourists, followed by an article on how Chinese tourists are the worst mannered in the world, followed by another article on how Thailand wants more Chinese tourists. I've lived here for a couple years now and I still can't get over some of the things that occur jjst defy all logic.

• Like 1

"Mario has around 3 million fans in China," the TAT director explained. "The goal is to convince at least 1.5 million of them to travel to Thailand."

Sounds like an easily met goal to me.whistling.gif

(Are these people really this stupid? Do any of them have legitimate degrees in business, statistical analysis, marketing?)

• Like 1

I read an article about how Thailand wants quality tourists, followed by an article on how Chinese tourists are the worst mannered in the world, followed by another article on how Thailand wants more Chinese tourists. I've lived here for a couple years now and I still can't get over some of the things that occur jjst defy all logic.

More tourists mean more money. Those who act poorly are usually older and grew up under a more draconian system. The younger ones tend to be much better behavied. Out of all the trouble makeers, not even 1% are trouble makes.

TAT were also hopeful in gaining a place in the Guinness Book of Records in the category of " How many Chinese tourists can get into the same lift at the same time" with the current record standing at 87

Sounds like an easily met goal to me.whistling.gif

(Are these people really this stupid? Do any of them have legitimate degrees in business, statistical analysis, marketing?)

So many people have connections that they can pick up nice appointments without the need for any ability or experience.

Some of these "quality" Chinese tourists will fit in really well in Chiang Mai at Songkran. Water throwing and their other nefarious activities in & ariund the moat..... bah.gif

Trafiic, already chaotic in its own way will become orders of dangerous more once the hordes arrive and hire mocys, stopping in the middle ofwherever to take their darned selfies.

Rant over. Breathe deeply....NO NO, the burning season is about to start.....blink.png

More tourists mean more money. Those who act poorly are usually older and grew up under a more draconian system. The younger ones tend to be much better behavied. Out of all the trouble makeers, not even 1% are trouble makes.

I have to disagree. Out of all the trouble makers I would say 100% are trouble makers.

Ah, hate much ? Sadly I have met many westerns like you in Thailand. The most commical was a western woman who owned a restraruant in Bangkok. She went on and on about how awful China and the Chinese are, never having been to China and never actually knowing that a number of mainlanders were her customers.

Been livihg in China and Thailand for a long time. There are problems for sure, but please.

In another news:

Big Fight On Passenger Plane, Chongqing-to-Hong Kong Flight Almost Turns Back — At 9am, on Air China Flight CA433 from Chongqing to Hong Kong, a dispute occurred between passengers on-board. The cause involved two female passengers in one row being upset with a child behind them being too noisy, with the passenger in the row behind blaming the the front passengers’ seat for affecting them. These several passengers got into a physical fight on the plane over this, with the plane nearly turning back as a result. After arriving in Hong Kong, Hong Kong police immediately intervened to handle the dispute.

air-china-flight-ca433-passenger-fight-o

(Yes, that is an air kick attempt biggrin.png)

Damn it.... now thats some nice chinese kung <deleted> skill.