Gizmo's fitbit aria

robblok

I recently bought a fitbit aria and in the past had a fitbit bracelet to check caloric expenditure. I must say the bracelet was way off and IMHO not a good investment.

The fitbit aria has the advantage of uploading your weights straight to the internet so you can't forget it anymore. Before this I was just inputting my weight in the Samsung Health app of my phone. This is easier. (the old scales were starting to break down giving me strange weight readings so i needed to buy new)

But I would not spend the money on it again as the fat percentage is way off. with me it varies between 8-12% and I feel that is quite a big variance. However I knew that when i bought it it would be off it usually is with those with more then average muscle.

I had hoped that the amount it would be off all the time would be the same. This way I would not know my real fat percentage but would know if loss of weight was muscle loss or fat loss or just water.

Still the good thing is that it uploads to the internet and keeps track every-time i step on it.

I have found that unlike JT i need gizmo's to keep me motivated and for new stuff.

Edited by robblok

I am going the other way....less gizmos. No weighting myself not measuring fat. It is a bit bad for gaining muscle, as you aren't top on the perfect line, but it is perfect for weight management. Don't think about eating, making that topic less important.

I am going the other way....less gizmos. No weighting myself not measuring fat. It is a bit bad for gaining muscle, as you aren't top on the perfect line, but it is perfect for weight management. Don't think about eating, making that topic less important.

That is the thing we are not all the same.. gaining muscle was never a problem for me.. keeping the fat under control was / is.

That is the thing we are not all the same.. gaining muscle was never a problem for me.. keeping the fat under control was / is.

keeping fat under control isn't a problem at all....just stop eating, since a longer time now I only eat a dinner without carbs. No other calorie intake during the day (beside 1 protein drink when I exercise) Sometimes I am hungry during the day, sometimes not.

Everyone will loose fat and weight with no problems at all. Just gaining muscle is impossible.

So fat loose or weight loose is no problem all, for no one.....just don't eat. But getting a healthy balance is much more difficult.....

I understand that just hunger makes it hard at times.. anyway my way works quite ok because by measuring weight if it goes up it most probably is fat. (at my level i wont gain that much more muscle). So for me it works..

For me it works as long as my parents don't visit me......Specially the always drinking kills every plan....

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using it for a while now and it seems to take some time to zero in on a persons bodyfat. I still don't think the calculations are accurate for people like me (muscular low bodyfat) but I see now while my weight is staying relatively the same that the fat percentage is dropping. That is also what i see in the mirror so even the fat measuring might have some merit even though the figures might not be correct (body fat caliper says im lower as the scales and so does inspecting my body)

Though at first I had real big swings in fat percentage and totally disregarded it. Now I step on the scales every day and it seems to become more accurate. That is something they were writing about before. Not sure if its true or not but seems to work better. But I do like that every measurement is automatically stored on the internet.

On mine (not the Fitbit aria), the BF percentage would usually vary based on my hydration level (after a run for example), but would not change much from day to day.

Except in June, where it jumped from 16% to 20% ... and I can't have taken 3-4KG of Fat in such short period of time, as I did not even gained weight.

post-308-0-15170900-1421404884.png

post-308-0-15170900-1421404884_thumb.png

I always weigh after I wake up so hydration is the same (in general). Now I have good reason to believe I am loosing fat and keeping on to muscle so the thing might be right.Reason is belt is getting more loose while weight stays the same.. so something is happening. Still the fat percentage itself can't be true I just hope that mutations are true.

Still its guesswork at best for people who are not average. But i like that it keeps track of the weight easy as it connects itself to the internet.

Still in your graph you see fat going down as your bodyweight goes down. Too bad that these things are not that accurate. I would kill for a dexa scan or a bod pod (just a few times a year to keep track of progress)

Ok, given up on the fat percentage thing, weight has dropped quite a bit in the last week but the fat percentage went up. I am pretty sure that is impossible as I am working out quite hard and making sure I get enough proteins. Besides I would notice a drop in muscle mass in my strength output in the gym. But I actually got stronger.

One interesting thing was that just before the big drop in weight the fat percentage went down but weight stayed the same. Now weight is down and fat is up. The machines are worthless for fat measuring but I had read about that when I bought it. They are for average people not athletes.

Ok, given up on the fat percentage thing, weight has dropped quite a bit in the last week but the fat percentage went up. I am pretty sure that is impossible as I am working out quite hard and making sure I get enough proteins. Besides I would notice a drop in muscle mass in my strength output in the gym. But I actually got stronger.

One interesting thing was that just before the big drop in weight the fat percentage went down but weight stayed the same. Now weight is down and fat is up. The machines are worthless for fat measuring but I had read about that when I bought it. They are for average people not athletes.

I had for approx. the same intense bicycle workout in one hour 300 kcal, vs. 980 kcal on a other machine. And that relative easy to estimate.

I don't know how it estimates the fat percentage? Weight is useless as the 100 kg bodybuilder would have the same fat than a really fat one.

Electric resistance wouldn't work as well.

I had for approx. the same intense bicycle workout in one hour 300 kcal, vs. 980 kcal on a other machine. And that relative easy to estimate.

I don't know how it estimates the fat percentage? Weight is useless as the 100 kg bodybuilder would have the same fat than a really fat one.

Nope it does not work well at all for athletes, i had hoped that even though the readings would be wrong they would be consistent. They are not.

(check your messages you asked me to send a few I did but never a reply)

Nope it does not work well at all for athletes, i had hoped that even though the readings would be wrong they would be consistent. They are not.

(check your messages you asked me to send a few I did but never a reply)

if it does not work for athletes it does not work for fatties.....

Thanks got the messages but not the notification emails.

Edited by h90