Russian tourists are cancelling their vacation plans in Pattaya

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hard times has fallen all over the world due to the economic situation.
Hope things change in the near future, because it's not good either for Pattaya or any other city in the world.

Nope.
Not everywhere.
Putin's Russia is in economic meltdown.
I hope strong man dictator Putin withdraws from Crimea and Eastern Ukraine.
I hope Putin stops scapegoating gays and blaming problems that he created on gays and the west.
How about that?
he won't he is not a coward.

No, not a coward, just a megalomaniac and tyrant.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hope things change in the near future, because it's not good either for Pattaya or any other city in the world.

Nope.

Not everywhere.

I hope Putin stops scapegoating gays and blaming problems that he created on gays and the west.

How about that?

Jing, understand your animosity towards Putin, but that is only your personal problem.

For Russians living in Russia, ruble crash has had little affect.

It only affects those who travel overseas, which would be easily fixed in a few months, airfares by Aeroflot would be cheaper.

You can also forget Crimea and Eastern Ukraine was NOT under his control, but would not surprise me if it will be from now on.

Like it or hate it, Russians filled up restaurants, hotels and were major players in real estate market.

With them been gone, there is noone to fill their shoes,which very possibly does mean restaurant closures, hotel closures and abandoned construction sites.

Too many selfish people fail to see the big picture and goat about ruble crashing without realizing the consequences for EU. After all Russia was HUGE market 400 billion in trade per year

Aeroflot might drop its prices, but what about the costs of food, hotels, entertainment? Of course the crash of the ruble affects Russian travellers! As for Crimea and Ukraine, have you not been following the news? Crimea was occupied by Russian troops and unilaterally declared by Putin to be a part of Russia months ago. As for the Ukraine, in the east there is a raging civil war with ethnic Russian separatists supported financially and militarily by Russia.

You may have a point about the economic consequences for the EU, but with Russia no longer able to squeeze them on fuel prices this winter, there could also be important benefits.

• Like 2

With the dollar appreciating the difference will be more than made up by Ex-pat Americans.

Nope.

Not everywhere.

How about that?

You really have a fixation on Putin.......Don't you?

Careful, because he might not vote for you in the next electionsrolleyes.gif

Fixation or not (most likely not) .... Putin is definitely the main cause of this Russian economic meltdown.

Lots of Russians walking up and down Jomtien beach today , well maybe fewer than last year , hard to tell really....

Not hard to tell.

Check the difference in the "To Jomtien" baht bus queue this year compared to last.

My estimate, Russkies down 75 percent from last year.

Last year at this time it was a total madhouse, always very long lines at night.

Mostly Russians.

Some lines now ... much smaller.

• Like 1

Nope.

Not everywhere.

How about that?

Well for his age, he is pretty manly and handsome when he rides bare shirt on those horses and takes those swims at the beach.

When are the "To Jomtien" baht bus queue masters going to stop saying DAVAI DAVAI?!?

...about the same time that you stop calling a sangtaew a "baht bus"

That's what they're called in Pattaya, dude.

Never in my time in Thailand, even during my visits to Pattaya, have I heard a Thai use the term " baht bus" nor even 'rotbus baht'. However, I'll take your word for it that such is the case, there in the heartland of Thai culture. Are you sure that this is not merely the term that 'English' speaking aliens use in Pattaya and on TVF ?

Nope.

Not everywhere.

How about that?

Well for his age, he is pretty manly and handsome when he rides bare shirt on those horses and takes those swims at the beach.

Food for your fantasies huh ?

When are the "To Jomtien" baht bus queue masters going to stop saying DAVAI DAVAI?!?

...about the same time that you stop calling a sangtaew a "baht bus"

That's what they're called in Pattaya, dude.

Never in my time in Thailand, even during my visits to Pattaya, have I heard a Thai use the term " baht bus" nor even 'rotbus baht'. However, I'll take your word for it that such is the case, there in the heartland of Thai culture. Are you sure that this is not merely the term that 'English' speaking aliens use in Pattaya and on TVF ?

The Blue ones are called Baht Buses and have the authority to charge whatever they like and are run by influential people, don't ever argue with a Baht Bus driver.

Technically they are Songthaews but the operate with total carte blanche and the Thais will call them Songthaews.

The real Songthaews are the Red ones which are honest and trustworthy but they aren't allowed to operate in Central Pattaya or any of the lucrative routes.

• Like 1

Aeroflot might drop its prices, but what about the costs of food, hotels, entertainment? Of course the crash of the ruble affects Russian travellers! As for Crimea and Ukraine, have you not been following the news? Crimea was occupied by Russian troops and unilaterally declared by Putin to be a part of Russia months ago. As for the Ukraine, in the east there is a raging civil war with ethnic Russian separatists supported financially and militarily by Russia.

You may have a point about the economic consequences for the EU, but with Russia no longer able to squeeze them on fuel prices this winter, there could also be important benefits.

Read my post again.

I was clear when I said for Russians in general not for those travelling overseas.

Russian army did not occupy Crimea , Russia had a naval base there which was rented and paid.

You have no evidence nor does US no matter how many time they claim to have that Russia supports East financially or from military.

No evidence has ever been presented.

However Russia is the only one sending humanitarian aid unlike all the rest and in case you missed it, Kiev has cut off all pension payments to people in East Ukraine , so oldies are left to starve.

Again, Russia was a huge market for EU, especially for Germany and France , who mind you at the latest meeting indicated lifting or easing sanctions in the new year- funny that huh?!

Russia can easily increase gas prices or accept payments only in yuan, as crazy as it sounds it is possible and visible.

What do you think consequence of this action would be ?

Russia is not Greece or Spain , Russia is a huge power house economy and its downfall can easily spark huge crises worldwide, as a domino effect

I believe i read somewhere the GDP of Russia is less than that of Italy,hardly a power house. Full of good engineers and scientists yes,but like Thailand full of corruption as well. The government thinks it can ignore the markets,they wouldn't be the first to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

Seems to be alot of anti russian sentiment in these posts.

I feel it is the direct nature of russians that many other people have difficulty with.

Much of the world has been conditioned to be serpentine and may be confronted by the direct approach.

I personaly prefer the no nonsense direct approach, saves alot time, is less heady and more grounded.

I have often witnessed Russian (men mainly) being very arrogant, loud and intimidating towards Thai people when negotiating..I see it as very disrespectful..just my opinion....I guess ..other nationalities are also guilty of this behaviour, but generally it is Russians who I have seen doing it with monotonous regularityannoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0bWXwkG

I have often witnessed Russian (men mainly) being very arrogant, loud and intimidating towards Thai people when negotiating..I see it as very disrespectful..just my opinion....I guess ..other nationalities are also guilty of this behaviour, but generally it is Russians who I have seen doing it with monotonous regularityannoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0bWXwkG

never watched Americans in Thailand? Chinese? They have a rude side but this is part of their culture, don't think they can change this during a short trip in Thailand. At least they bring in good money..

Naturaly they will clash, both have been conditioned in entirely different ways, the perfect relationship. One is direct and abbrassive, the other evasive and polite....

well Luk..as I said.. and if you read all of my post you would have seen

"I guess ..other nationalities are also guilty of this behaviour, but generally it is Russians who I have seen doing it with monotonous regularity"

When I have seen some of the exchanges between the Russians and Thai people..I have felt that the Russians are treating the Thais as 2nd class citizens and the Russians are superior..perhaps Putins manner is spreading to the masses.. I get the impression that .from the Russian perspective its......"all about me"...nobody else mattersburp.gif

Bad for the Russians, yes, but they are the ones who have foolishly supported their "strong" man who has brought them down ... so that's how it goes.

But he is extremely popular still among the Russian people ,who do not blame him , it will take a very long time to change this mindset ,also cracks are starting to appear in the E.U sanctiones(the French) who would have guessed it are talking about starting exporting there again ,who ever called them "surrender monkeys"

Read my post again.

I was clear when I said for Russians in general not for those travelling overseas.

Russian army did not occupy Crimea , Russia had a naval base there which was rented and paid.

You have no evidence nor does US no matter how many time they claim to have that Russia supports East financially or from military.

No evidence has ever been presented.

However Russia is the only one sending humanitarian aid unlike all the rest and in case you missed it, Kiev has cut off all pension payments to people in East Ukraine , so oldies are left to starve.

Again, Russia was a huge market for EU, especially for Germany and France , who mind you at the latest meeting indicated lifting or easing sanctions in the new year- funny that huh?!

Russia can easily increase gas prices or accept payments only in yuan, as crazy as it sounds it is possible and visible.

What do you think consequence of this action would be ?

Russia is not Greece or Spain , Russia is a huge power house economy and its downfall can easily spark huge crises worldwide, as a domino effect

I believe i read somewhere the GDP of Russia is less than that of Italy,hardly a power house. Full of good engineers and scientists yes,but like Thailand full of corruption as well. The government thinks it can ignore the markets,they wouldn't be the first to be proved wrong.

Actually more, Russia is number 6, Italy 7 it terms of GDP