10,000 Baht Note

akmacca

Recently I bought a used Lonely Planet Thailand guide and flicking through the pages out popped a crisp, new 10,000 baht note. date on the note is 2003.

I did some research to confirm there was such a note and to get some background information, not that there was much. Can I readily use this note or would it be better to save or is it a collectors item? Any information would be appreciated

• Like 2

I think it is just some sort of promotional thing, it is certainly not legal tender..

Just think to yourself how you come across it? do you really think it is genuine?

Hard to say, really. I quickly did some googling after reading the OP and apparently there was an issue of a 500,000 baht note - which can legally be owned by individuals - that was printed for the 50th wedding anniversary of the King and Queen. It was issued in May of 2000. So a 10,000 baht note.....who knows?

If I were OP, I'd be heading to a bank on Monday morning.

Bit of Thai law

Section 244

Type of offense: Possessing and knowingly using counterfeit currencies as genuine.

Penalty imposed: imprisonment for a term ranging from 1 to 15 years with a fine of 2,000-30,000 baht

Section 249

Type of offense: Making, possessing, passing any other material/item intended to be used as currency.

Penalty imposed: imprisonment for a term not exceeding 1 year and/or a maximum fine of 2,000 baht

I'd love to see a 10,000 baht note in circulation, would save a lot of space in our walletsw00t.gif

Gimme a break. They have enough trouble changing 500 and 1000 baht notes.

Besides, even at an upscale restaurant/club, you'd be handing over almost a month's salary to your waitress in one note. You'd feel comfortable doing that? Because I wouldn't.

Imagine the feeling when someone comes back to tell you, you only gave them a thousand.

Edited by aTomsLife
  • Like 2

Haven't seen one but wouldn't surprise me. Many countries have larger notes as legal tender or, in the case of the UK's million and 100M notes to back up the home countries' banks. Best bet is to simply ask the bank, tell them how you found it... just don't expect 7-11 to break it for a pack of crisps. wink.png

By the way, did you buy the book at Gecko's?

I think it is just some sort of promotional thing, it is certainly not legal tender..

Just think to yourself how you come across it? do you really think it is genuine?

Hard to say, really. I quickly did some googling after reading the OP and apparently there was an issue of a 500,000 baht note - which can legally be owned by individuals - that was printed for the 50th wedding anniversary of the King and Queen. It was issued in May of 2000. So a 10,000 baht note.....who knows?

Hard to say ? The op wants an answer. You don't even come close, why bother ?

Does this note have a picture of Ho Chi Minh on the front by any chance?

Would love to see a photo of it!

I believe there is a law about posting pictures of currency that could be counterfeit.

I did get a 500 Baht bill in change about 3 years ago that looked unusual. The g/f took it somewhere to be checked out and it turned out to be a commemorative issue; rarely seen. We have it somewhere. Don't know about the value.

I checked in Thai Banknotes Catalogue by Somchai Saeng-Ngern, which is considered authoritative. There were two series of the Baht 500,000 notes printed in 2000 for the 50th wedding anniversart of the king and queen. Only 999 notes for the king and 999 notes for the queen were printed. The catalogue value for uncirculated notes is now Baht 1,100,000.

500000baht.jpgCom_50wedding_500000f.gif

There is no mention of a Baht 10,000 note being issued.

I would be a little cautious about taking it to a bank to check if it is legitimate. If it appears to be some sort of attempted forgery, just possessing it could cause you a world of legal problems.

Section 244

Type of offense: Possessing and knowingly using counterfeit currencies as genuine.

Penalty imposed: imprisonment for a term ranging from 1 to 15 years with a fine of 2,000-30,000 baht

I'd love to see a 10,000 baht note in circulation, would save a lot of space in our walletsw00t.gif

The Bank of Thailand has resisted this because it is regarded as being an aid to money laundering and drug deals.

A similar problem has been associated with the 500 Euro note:

"There's been a significant body of evidence over time that has recognised that high denomination notes are an important means of reducing the bulk of cash," says Mr Cruxton. "The 500 euro note is really the note of choice among criminals.

"We estimate that more than 90% of the 500 euro notes that are provided in the UK have actually gone into the hands of serious organised criminals."

Economists have long charted how large denomination notes facilitate money laundering

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8678979.stm

I've got one of the commemorative 80 baht notes from the Queen's birthday a couple years ago. I think the in-laws have a sixty at their house also.

Poking around on the internet I don't see anything about a 10,000 though.

I'm with the poster who said it's probably Lao kip clap2.gif