Where To Study English In Chiang Mai?

silverhawk_usa

My Thai girlfriend would like to better her English skills. We tried AUA but she had to take a proficiency test to place her at the proper level, which I thought was a good idea. Unfortunately, we found that if you don't score high enough they won't take you at all. (Catch 22, must take the written comprehension test in English before you can study English???).

Anyone have any other school or class recommendations?

We did check around. We prefer a group as we feel that the interaction between students helps with the learning and is also more fun. EFL (English as a Foreign Language) only offered group as a 1 hour saturday class for 10 weeks. I think that is drawing it out too long for only 10 hours of class time.

London didn't hardly want to talk to us. They rudely told us "No groups here, only private." I then had to practically beg her to give the information for the private class. NES ( New Zealand Educations Services) seems to have the best deal so far. 3 times a week, 2 hrs for a total of 20hrs.

I was hoping for someone with some personal experiences to pass on some info....

Wherever you intend to let her study make sure her language skills are assessed accurately first so that she studies at the correct level. A written placement test and then an interview with an experienced and qualified teacher. EFL Learning Centre's academic manager is a University of Cambridge IELTS (International English Language Testing System) examiner. ie trained and qualified to examine students' speaking skills.

Apart from the British Council and IDP Australia Centre language schools don't have fixed term dates but rely on students filling a waiting list before a class can open. Some of the less reputable schools 'throw in' students of different study levels so that they can open large classes - big margins.

My advice is go with a school that has small class sizes because it's more likely the students are all of the same study level. Also, the time/frequency a school offers a class changes all the time - might be worth phoning back schools that you like but didn't have a suitable study time when you first approached them.

Edited by Loaded

The YMCA near Kad Suan Kow offers beginner's English at a comfortable pace and at a reasonable price. I have recommended this school for years to many as a good first step. I have taught at CMU and AUA, and headed the secondary English Department at a great private school. Good luck with your eventual choice. Cheers.