'Bad Practice' Monks detained by City Hall Officers at South Pattaya Market

webfact

“Bad Practice” Monks detained by City Hall Officers at South Pattaya Market

monk-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- City Hall Officials detained a total of 16 monks who were accused of bad practice at a South Pattaya Market just before daybreak on Sunday.

Complaints had been received concerning Monks who would receive offerings from members of the public and then sell them on to food vendors at the Market and then keep the money for themselves.

This is not permitted under the regulations concerning the conduct of Monks and the 16 monks, 14 of them Thai Nationals and 2 Cambodians were taken to explain their actions to the Chief Abbot at the Chaimongkol Market, meters away from the Market they were detained at.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/160855/bad-practice-monks-detained-by-city-hall-officers-at-south-pattaya-market/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-12-22

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder about the merit making buckets they sell near Wats. Nice people want to do that, but seems monks would be buried in plastic buckets and small umbrellas. Recycling out the back door would give cash to temples to use proceeds for improvements and such. Regarding the detained monks: How do we know they were keeping the money for themselves? (Trying to look on optimistic side of story).

Many monks that we see are not full time monks. People will be monks for a period of time to honor family members that have died, good luck for their parents, etc. The times vary generally a few days to a couple weeks. My economics professor was ordained for 1 year just to clear his head.

• Like 1

I've little or no time for any of them quite frankly. In all the years I've been in Thailand there was only one monk I had any time for. He would leave all the other monks watching their TV's and iphones and would go around the village visiting the sick and elderly. He was much loved by everyone, sadly he was killed in a motorcycle accident.

I've seen the alcohol being smuggled into the Wat. I've been into the monks quarters and seen the latest stereo and electrical equipment. I know of at least two who have not kept their vows of celebacy. I see the obscene amounts of money people give for Tham Boen (merit making). I've seen the deceaseds personal belongings given to the temple at funerals that are supposed to be distributed to the poor being sold off. The list goes on.

IMO all religin is a scam. Don't try and tell me Buddhism isn't a religion because it has no deities neither does the Church of Scientology, to me it's as every bit a religion as all the others.

Edited by Toknarok
  • Like 2

My missus is a deeply Buddhist person, she is currently in a Temple which has Monks & Nuns on one of her 30 day meditation outings which she does annually. She's done this at a few temples and the reason she's done this at a few temples (as opposed to just the closest for example) is because she had been so disillusioned by a couple of Temples. Nuns bitching and fighting, Monks being "inappropriate" in one Temple and so on. One Temple in Chiang Mai is just a total money maker, whilst others are not bothered ny monetary gain. From my understanding (learned from her) is that some Temples are pretty much "bent" and generally not nice while others are true to the Buddhist learnings. Same goes for the Nuns & Monks in those same Temples.

• Like 1

My missus is a deeply Buddhist person, she is currently in a Temple which has Monks & Nuns on one of her 30 day meditation outings which she does annually. She's done this at a few temples and the reason she's done this at a few temples (as opposed to just the closest for example) is because she had been so disillusioned by a couple of Temples. Nuns bitching and fighting, Monks being "inappropriate" in one Temple and so on. One Temple in Chiang Mai is just a total money maker, whilst others are not bothered ny monetary gain. From my understanding (learned from her) is that some Temples are pretty much "bent" and generally not nice while others are true to the Buddhist learnings. Same goes for the Nuns & Monks in those same Temples.

I agree with you. Not all Buddhist temples are, so called, bad. Some really do try and live up to their rules. But it's always the bad ones that give a bad name to the good ones. I know many, many good monks. And I know quite a few bad ones.

• Like 1

I agree with you. Not all Buddhist temples are, so called, bad. Some really do try and live up to their rules. But it's always the bad ones that give a bad name to the good ones. I know many, many good monks. And I know quite a few bad ones.

Same as that khaowong1! In fact although I've met one or two distasteful Monks I don't know them, I do know lots and lots of great guys/Monks and I actually got to know one or two Nuns through the wife!

I've little or no time for any of them quite frankly. In all the years I've been in Thailand there was only one monk I had any time for. He would leave all the other monks watching their TV's and iphones and would go around the village visiting the sick and elderly. He was much loved by everyone, sadly he was killed in a motorcycle accident.

I've seen the alcohol being smuggled into the Wat. I've been into the monks quarters and seen the latest stereo and electrical equipment. I know of at least two who have not kept their vows of celebacy. I see the obscene amounts of money people give for Tham Boen (merit making). I've seen the deceaseds personal belongings given to the temple at funerals that are supposed to be distributed to the poor being sold off. The list goes on.

IMO all religin is a scam. Don't try and tell me Buddhism isn't a religion because it has no deities neither does the Church of Scientology, to me it's as every bit a religion as all the others.

I agree with you, a country that puts everything into religion, is a country doomed