70 arrested in Pattaya Beach pre-Festive Season clean-up

webfact

The Thai way of life

Step 1) Pay a 100 Baht fine because you are plying your trade as a prostitute on Beach Road

Step 2) Immediately return to Beach Road to ply your trade as a prostitute because you need to recoup your 100 Baht lose

Lather, rinse, repeat

Khun Bob

+1...Sounds about right.

When the police take these fines, where does the money surpassed to go, there must be set conditions as to where it has to go, in a special bank account in the national police accounts. No seriously if they are allowed to do spot fines like this there must be a law as to where it has to go.

Ok we know the brainless will be making stupid comments so go to bed as we all know what your comments will be.

The Thai way of life

Step 1) Pay a 100 Baht fine because you are plying your trade as a prostitute on Beach Road

Step 2) Immediately return to Beach Road to ply your trade as a prostitute because you need to recoup your 100 Baht lose

Lather, rinse, repeat

Khun Bob

Don't forget that they were profiled as well (isn't that illegal?) so that it will make it easier to pick them up the next time for their 100 baht donation. Its the gift that never quits giving.

Here we go again. Grab 100 baht of everyone and let them off with a "Stern Warning". Why don't the Cops intern them in Buriram or somewhere over the holidays.

Yes here we go again. Perhaps their presence along the beach road is an ATTRACTION for many of the tourists who come here and as long as they are not intrusive on those who do not want to hire their obviously highly popular services, then I see no harm in it, without the leeching pondlife pimps involved that is. Time we stopped this silly facade and made FREELANCE prostitution totally legal for consenting adults and at the same time made pimping even more illegal with much higher fines and prison sentences for those a'hole lowlife who wickedly exploit these ladies. If it were legalised and accepted then there could be an allotted area in Pattaya, and all other towns, for such street or bar trading, maybe a normally non touristy small soi in Pattaya or even a selected area of the beach road, say maybe the few hundred less attractive metres next to the Walking street end.

Whatever, I find this rubbish law all very silly and hypocritical to be honest.

• Like 1

Here we go again. Grab 100 baht of everyone and let them off with a "Stern Warning". Why don't the Cops intern them in Buriram or somewhere over the holidays.

Yes here we go again. Perhaps their presence along the beach road is an ATTRACTION for many of the tourists who come here and as long as they are not intrusive on those who do not want to hire their obviously highly popular services, then I see no harm in it, without the leeching pondlife pimps involved that is. Time we stopped this silly facade and made FREELANCE prostitution totally legal for consenting adults and at the same time made pimping even more illegal with much higher fines and prison sentences for those a'hole lowlife who wickedly exploit these ladies. If it were legalised and accepted then there could be an allotted area in Pattaya, and all other towns, for such street or bar trading, maybe a normally non touristy small soi in Pattaya or even a selected area of the beach road, say maybe the few hundred less attractive metres next to the Walking street end.

There is an area - it's called Walking Street and it's full of perfectly legal bars where new "friends" can be made perfectly legally!

Totally useless action as usual. Sounds more like a quick collection of a few thousand baht to by whisky for the Christmas/New Year parties down at Soi 9!

I agree just a money collection to pay for their Xmas booze up. When are they going to be serious about the law, God Bt100 is pathetic and 5 minutes later back to the beach to earn Bt1000 at least.

I don't have a problem with them plying their trade and anyone who wants to have sex with a completely unregulated prostitute has that choice.

The problem has been their own doing. Thieving, drugging, robbing whatever. If you take a hooker from a bar you can always find them if you wake up robbed.

Anyway Beach Road is an absolute filthy mess who would hang out there I don't know.

There is an area - it's called Walking Street and it's full of perfectly legal bars where new "friends" can be made perfectly legally!

Yes we know that and it is where many of the girls ARE exploited, and the customers too with ridiculously over the top bar fines these days that are akin to pimping fees. Okay with the freelance type bars like Bamboo etc (always used to enjoy that venue), but not all tourists like loud music and many folk are not big drinkers if at all, so other more open street "trading" areas are I know very very popular if the truth is known. Why does it only have to be in bars??

Oh and BTW prostitution is, I feel very hypocritically, still illegal in Thailand, whether conducted from a bar or from the street !! Like all street trading, there should be nice open clean areas where no in your face street trading of any kind is allowed. That is normal in all civilised societies.

Edited by rayw

I feel sorry for the poor souls. The police should have given them a 100 Baht and some noodles.

The police should give them 100b and a sign saying "I'm a Katoey you dope."

Yeah well. Even Katoeys have hearts and souls. They are frequently troubled and often need a break.

Yes we know that and it is where many of the girls ARE exploited, and the customers too with ridiculously over the top bar fines these days that are akin to pimping fees. Okay with the freelance type bars like Bamboo etc (always used to enjoy that venue), but not all tourists like loud music and many folk are not big drinkers if at all, so other more open street "trading" areas are I know very very popular if the truth is known. Why does it only have to be in bars??

Oh and BTW prostitution is, I feel very hypocritically, still illegal in Thailand, whether conducted from a bar or from the street !! Like all street trading, there should be nice open clean areas where no in your face street trading of any kind is allowed. That is normal in all civilised societies.

Well prostitution doesn't actually take place in Walking Street bars, and paying for sex in your own room/house is not against the law as long he/she is 18. I agree that the illegal soliciting on Beach Road is an eyesore though.

Hmmmmm.....The Police actually could argue that they are attempting to lessen the impact on tourists that do, all too often, get scammed or robbed or drugged by the street prostitutes.

Other than the police being there all the time to tell them to go away and stop what they are doing there is not much they can do about it.

Women should not be criminalized for providing sex for money and locked away for 20 years

With the prostitution, the whole affair usually comes other aspects that are deemed as seedy and or nefarious and usually there are the legal ramifications having to be dealt with.

If nothing else ever evolved connected to prostitution and it was always a good natured and totally safe environment for everyone then I surmise the police would not take any interest in it....but usually there are something's or a good number of aspects of what goes on that concerns enough people that they do not want prostitution occurring in the most public of places ......for all to see.

Indoors is another matter.

Just saying...not complaining..... as it does not bother me or cause any concern for me ...but many others may not want the street prostitutes to be in such a openly public place for all to witness them conducting their business affairs in the open.

Cheers

Next time, please get the Farang customers who force prostitution.

Why? Using the services of a prostitute, as long as he/she is 18 or older, is not illegal.

Are you sure?

Law does not say "prostitutes are illegal", law says "prostitution is illegal".

And as it takes two to tango, the request for sexual services should be illegal too.

It's the way of things in Thailand.

Small offenders are always let off with a warning, while big shots are sent to prison.

That's the way it ought to be.

Why? Using the services of a prostitute, as long as he/she is 18 or older, is not illegal.

Are you sure?

And as it takes two to tango, the request for sexual services should be illegal too.

Prostitution is regulated in Thailand.

Are you sure?

Prostitution is regulated in Thailand.

Not easy, much depends on how you define "promiscuous"

Why? It isn`t illegal for Issan people to hang out on Beach Rd wink.png ..........

Why? It isn`t illegal for Issan people to hang out on Beach Rd wink.png ..........

I assume ATF has never been to Buriram, the City of Happiness?

I assume ATF has never been to Buriram, the City of Happiness?

I have had the pleasure. It's got one of the biggest bus stations in Thailand coz everyone is trying to get out, but you do have a decent racetrack now so I will be back soon.

The first fine of 100 baht and a warning is too low but could work if they increased the next fine and following fines. Second arrest 1,000 baht, third arrest 10,000 baht, forth arrest 100,000 baht.

These people probably have 100 baht for a fine, 1,000 and above is not in their pocketbooks. This was BiB way of telling (getting the word out) business ladies that the beach is closed for them until the vendors take their tents down. Beach closed to ladies of the evening until the small businesses get thru wit the holiday sale on the beach sidewalk.

Here is a question.

Is it illegal to be a prostitute or to engage in acts of prostitution? If the latter, which I suspect is the case, what evidence is there that any of the persons arrested actually commited an offence? Were any of them seen to get their kit off and open their legs?

Of course not. So it was just another "you must be guilty of something" type scam.

Edited by DoctorB