In custody: American is arrested for beating man

geovalin

Police in Preah Sihanouk province yesterday arrested a United States national after he allegedly beat a Cambodian citizen into a coma on Saturday night.

Tourist Jason Richard Barnett is currently in pretrial detention and will be questioned in court for the alleged beating today, said Nou Savuth, penalty office chief of Preah Sihanouk’s police department.

The motive for Barnett’s alleged beating of Neang Sarin, a 31-year-old employee at a guesthouse who remains unconscious at Phnom Penh’s Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital, is unclear, Savuth said.

However, James McCabe with the Child Protection Unit said Sarin was suspected of sexually assaulting the daughter of Barnett’s girlfriend.

Barnett’s girlfriend and her daughter were at the scene of the beating, Savuth said.

A US Embassy spokesman declined to comment on the case yesterday, citing privacy concerns.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/custody-american-arrested-beating-man

US man faces possible murder charge in Cambodia

24-12-2557-10-00-20-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A US national in Preah Sihanouk province could face life in prison after a man he has been accused of severely beating died Monday morning, according to The Phnom Penh Post.

The Preah Sihanouk provincial prosecutor charged Jason Richard Barnett, 34, with intentional violence after Neang Sarin, 29, was sent to Kossamak Hospital in Phnom Penh on Saturday night. But the victim died just after 10am Monday, Sarin’s sister, Khat Sary, 28, said.

“His bladder was broken and the skull has a big crack, so the hospital was unable to help him,” Sary said. “The foreigner said that he did not beat my brother, claiming that my brother stumbled and fell by himself.”

A police source close to the case said yesterday that Barnett had confessed to the assault, and would now be charged with aggravated murder – which carries a penalty of 15 to 25 years imprisonment – and murder with the involvement of torture, which carries a life sentence. Deputy provincial prosecutor Huoth Vichet could not confirm the alleged confession.

Preah Sihanouk penalty office chief Nouv Savuth told the Post yesterday that police had contacted Sarin’s family, telling them to get an official death certificate from authorities and a record of his injuries from the hospital so that the department can send them to the provincial court.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-man-faces-possible-murder-charge-cambodia

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-24

.....intentional violence......

...in this part of the world we often hear of 'unintentional violence'.......I guess it 'does not fly' anywhere else....

...not to make light of the situation....

...even if the allegations against the victim are true...how could you expect justice to be served by such an act....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Throw the '<deleted>' book at the bastard ! alt=w00t.gif>

Police in Preah Sihanouk province yesterday arrested a United States national after he allegedly beat a Cambodian citizen into a coma on Saturday night.

Tourist Jason Richard Barnett is currently in pretrial detention and will be questioned in court for the alleged beating today, said Nou Savuth, penalty office chief of Preah Sihanouk’s police department.

The motive for Barnett’s alleged beating of Neang Sarin, a 31-year-old employee at a guesthouse who remains unconscious at Phnom Penh’s Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital, is unclear, Savuth said.

However, James McCabe with the Child Protection Unit said Sarin was suspected of sexually assaulting the daughter of Barnett’s girlfriend.

Barnett’s girlfriend and her daughter were at the scene of the beating, Savuth said.

A US Embassy spokesman declined to comment on the case yesterday, citing privacy concerns.

http://www.phnompenh...ted-beating-man

Not if this article is true. I say give him a gold medal and let this be a lesson to all pedophiles.

If someone sexually assaulted my little daughter, I would like to beat him to pulp to.

This case looks like self defense to me.

"...police had contacted Sarin’s family, telling them to get an official death certificate from authorities and a record of his injuries from the hospital so that the department can send them to the provincial court." Do Police no longer investigate crimes on their own?

The Cambodian victim has died at the hospital in Phnom Penh.

His girlfriend's daughter is 10 years old.

Update here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/187-cambodia-news/

Is that link right? It just takes me to the main forum.

You are right, the link was this one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/786314-us-man-faces-possible-murder-charge/

with full story.

Sorry

• Like 1